Maxtor HD's Bad?

G

well my friend and brother both got Maxtor 80gig drives and in less then a week they crashed! has anyone else had this problem? my brother has to send his to data recovery witch is going to cost over 2g's just to get his data back (being thats priceless audio tracks) i myself just got a 60gig diamondMax plus that im going to stick in this computer before i build my new box to test it for a week or so... ill let you know how it hangs in...

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had a 17GB maxtor for about 6 months, then traded it for a maxtor 20GB which I have had for 2 months. Both run great with no problems. All my friends have maxtor drives and none of them have problems. Actually, one of my friends has had a 6.5 GB maxtor drive for over two years now with no problem.

With the 80GB drives, it could just be that model of drive or maybe the motherboard or operating system that the drive was installed on. I really don't know. I just know I have not experienced problems.

G

I haven't had any problems with mine! I have three, a 10 gig, 15 gig, and a 27.3 gig. I have never had any problems and I have had them all for about a year or so working 24/7!

Define "Crash"? Alot of people define that by there OS freaking out or not booting. If it is the hard drive they have Diagnostics to run to tell you if it is the drive that is causing the problem. If the drive is recognized and the Diag passes, most of the time it could just be an OS issue.

Lars Coleman
http://home.earthlink.net/~larscoleman

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Well, They´re not as good as the IBM´s , but they´re not bad!
I have a 30 Gb ATA 100 working for 4 months without a problem!
Maybe they just got lucky (NOT!) and bought a defective unit! That can happen!

Better burn in Hell with some company than freeze in Heaven all alone

G

maybe I should of made my topic more descriptive im mostly referring to the BIGGER Maxtor drives i.e. 80/60gigers and its not just an OS problem they crashed! started making loud clicking sounds "clkclkclkclkclkclkclkclcklcklckclkclkc" kind of like when a disk has sector errors but louder :)... I personally never had any problems with Maxtor drives ive been using a 20gig in this box for about 2 years... no problems at all... I just hooked up my DiamondMax Plus 61.4gigs to run it threw a few tests to make sure its good. ill let you know if I run into any problems.

G

my 30 GB is working fine and dandy (I know its not an 80 GB)... I havnt heard any trouble with theirs before.. sounds odd.. flukish even

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

I recently sent back my Maxtor 30gb 7200 rpm drive because the seek time was a whopping 30ms. THe replacement I got from Maxtor has a seek time of 9ms.

I have many Maxtors and they all are working fine except for an 800mb model which has developed some bad sectors a few years ago. About the only thing I can do with it now is to give it to the neighbours to use as a puck when they play hockey.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
It came with the Silent Mode off? Cool!
If you set off the Silent mode you drive will work faster (Noisier too, but who cares!)
I had mine working on Silent mode for about 3 months, and then i discovered the feature , turned it off , and i couldn´t belive the difference!

G

It's funny, because I asked support about that feature and they had no knowledge of it.

I think you responded to my message on one of the posts and then I asked the support guys and they had no clue. So i sent the drive back. Then you told me the program you used, but it was too late - the drive was already on its way.

Nevertheless, all's well that ends well and my drive is OK now. thx for the info.

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Its funny how the support lines of some companies don´t
know their own products!
Isn´t it?

G

*laughs* your telling me..I called up gateway the other day to find out what my clock generator was (brand, number, etc) and they were like "clock what??"... and after about 10 mins they said, what are you trying to do? change your bus speed? *laughs* slow people... so I wasted 2 mins of my own time, and looked on the board till I found it.. :eek:)

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

I have the 80Gig Maxtor in my machine running 24/7 for 4 month now. I'm quite happy with it. no errors, no noises (damn quite that drive), no crashes. it's not the fastest drive around, that's true, but soooo much space on only one IDE-port makes up for it. at least for me.

respect!

G

Here's a little story...
I bought a 3 gig maxtor back in 96, between 96 and 3 months ago, I've purchased 4 IBM drives (misc sizes), one seagate, 2 Western Digitals, and one other Maxtor (30gig). the ibm drives have been ok, except for one, it died about 3 hours after plugging it in, the western digitals have both been replaced 3 times in the past 2 years, and the seagate just all around sucked, so I threw it out. anyway, 3 months ago, my little 3 gig maxtor finally gave up. No biggy I thought, so I yanked it out, and the sticker said it was still under warranty. So I call maxtor and got an rma#. On the same day I had called WD for an rma on an 8.4g. Sent both drives out the same day. 4 days later my new maxtor arrived, to my delight it wasn't a 3gig drive, it was a 30gig (mistake? really nice folks?? I dunno). Western Digital still hadn't shown up, but it was only for days, I can wait. About 2 weeks later, I check the WD rma status page, and it still wasn't "recieved". I check ups, they'd had the drive for about 13 days. I check back a week later, and they FINALLY accepted the hard drive.. so I wait another week, still no drive, no change on the rma page.. nothing.. I'm getting really pissed off at the point, so I call em up. They tell me they have 7-9 days from the time that they recieve the drive to issue a replacement, fine... I'll wait 3 more days. 3 days pass... still no drive, so I call em again, they give me the same line again (quite rudely at that) and hang up on me. 2 more days, I call again, actually reach someone nice, and she agrees to manually issue a replacement. So I wait for another week, and airborne arrives with my replacement. a month later!! the next day airborne shows up again with another package from wd, this time it's a 10 gig drive. sweet... free drive. the next day airborne arrives AGAIN with yet ANOTHER package from WD... another 10 gig!! so now I had 3 drives for the price of one, and was feeling quite happy, and the next day guess what?? That's right, Airborne arrives AGAIN!! another 10 gig drive! I check the status page to see what happened, and WD only "shipped" one 8.4 gig drive, so I assume the 3 10 giggers were a screw up on western digitals part (in my favor, but a screwup nonetheless). Anyway, moral of the story is, Maxtor replaces drives quickly and efficiently, and I talk too much.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've had a 20 gig running 24x7 for over 1.5 years now, and it's working great. I also have a 30 gig running fine.

My friend is still using an old 500 MB maxtor drive I gave him, and it's about 6 years old. I beat the crap out of it before I gave it to him, and it's still chugging along.

I don't know why Maxtor has a bad reputation among some people. I've never had any problems with them and a lot of my friends use them without problems.

Maybe it's just a problem with the 80 giggers?

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

LordKaos

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
I think that´s because their drives were so slow , some years ago!
I had a 300 Mb Quantum hard-drive that was faster (Performance , access, everything!)than a 2 year younger 1.6 Gb MaxtorHard drive!
The Maxtor support is great ! That same drive stopped working correctly ( Still in warranty time!), i took it to the Maxtor reseller here in Portugal, told them what happened and they gave me a new one on the spot!
I don´t know of anything that could give MAxtor a bad reputation, aside from performance!

G

A lot of companies dont know anything about thier products, I spent about 45 mins on hold with IBM while they tried to find out wether the hdd in the 94A spun at 5400 or 7200, they couldent tell me, they said we think its 7400

chau_ya

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
I have my 40 Gig DiamondMax for 2 months so far. It is running great. I have very good experience with Maxtor services, too. It is a good company as far as I am concerned. Maybe your friends just got bad luck, or ... something.
Regards,
Chau_ya