ME

Hi

I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.

XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
still no good.

Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
if I can.

Colin

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Seven partitions are not a problem.

Use MaxBlast again to re-create and/or re-format the NTFS partiton, to get
rid of the previous install stuff, and try booting from the XP CD and start
the install all over again.

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
> Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
> primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>
> XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
> realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
> it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
> taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
> still no good.
>
> Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
> if I can.
>
> Colin

simply reformat the ntfs partition again and then start the windows install
again.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

--

<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
> Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
> primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>
> XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
> realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
> it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
> taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
> still no good.
>
> Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
> if I can.
>
> Colin

ME

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:32:00 -0000, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

>simply reformat the ntfs partition again and then start the windows install
>again.
>
>--
>John Barnett MVP
>Associate Expert
>http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

Thanks

I did that. In fact I ran Maxblast from beginning to end and ran the
XP install CD. It seemed ok, but it halted on <windows
root>\system32\hal.dll.

It wanted me to reinstall a copy of the file.

I'm stuck. I remember seeing this a couple of years ago and it turned
out that the file wasn't missing but I don't know what I did to solve
it.

Any help much appreciated.

Colin

You actually installed XP fully to your drive? And now when you reboot you
get this error?
Visit my website http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 36. See if that
solves the problem. If not then come back to the newgroup for further
instructions.

--

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:32:00 -0000, "John Barnett MVP"
> <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
>
>>simply reformat the ntfs partition again and then start the windows
>>install
>>again.
>>
>>--
>>John Barnett MVP
>>Associate Expert
>>http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>

> Thanks
>
> I did that. In fact I ran Maxblast from beginning to end and ran the
> XP install CD. It seemed ok, but it halted on <windows
> root>\system32\hal.dll.
>
> It wanted me to reinstall a copy of the file.
>
> I'm stuck. I remember seeing this a couple of years ago and it turned
> out that the file wasn't missing but I don't know what I did to solve
> it.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Colin

ME

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:48:46 -0000, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

>You actually installed XP fully to your drive?

No. I got the HAL problem before it finished the whole setup routine.

And now when you reboot you
>get this error?
>Visit my website http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 36. See if that
>solves the problem. If not then come back to the newgroup for further
>instructions.

First, many thanks for your remarkable web site.

You deserve the whole story.

Linux has resulted in certain BIOS problems which are unexplained.
That's interesting in its own right. I decided to buy a new hard drive
and progressively install windows XP and then Suse 9.2.

As a dry run I picked up a 4Gb hard drive that had been little more
than a paper weight for 3 or 4 years and installed XP. I disconnected
my 2 hard drives at mobo level and used a new data cable to connect
the old 4Gb to the mobo. Installation was a dream. It created my
internet connection without any help, and amazingly, found my home
network. I felt redundant.

However, when I first started the install I realised that I still had
the new drive connected from using Maxblast3 on it so I prematurely
withdrew using the on screen advice of pressing ESC. Then I connected
the old 4Gb and did the perfect install.

Afterwards, I tried to install to the new drive and it found an
existing O/S from the premature install and offered me options. I
took the option to keep the same partition and reuse the folders.
Eventually, I was driven to use Maxblast from scratch again.

Using ing FAQ 36 the following happened:

It didn't like bootcfg/list without the space but then everything went
as expected. It couldn't scan the disk and advised me to use chkdsk.

This appeared on screen:

C:\Windows> chkdsk /p
Chkdsk is checking the volumes
Chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery. (3 times)
Chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume.
19535008K total disk space
19036876K are available.

There was the usual info about cluster size.

I am back to the same HAL message. Please re-install a copy of the
above file.

Sorry about the fine detail.

Colin

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 06:11:46 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:48:46 -0000, "John Barnett MVP"
><freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
>
>>You actually installed XP fully to your drive?
>
>No. I got the HAL problem before it finished the whole setup routine.
>
>And now when you reboot you
>>get this error?
>>Visit my website http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>>click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 36. See if that
>>solves the problem. If not then come back to the newgroup for further
>>instructions.
>

>First, many thanks for your remarkable web site.
>
>You deserve the whole story.
>
>Linux has resulted in certain BIOS problems which are unexplained.
>That's interesting in its own right. I decided to buy a new hard drive
>and progressively install windows XP and then Suse 9.2.
>
>As a dry run I picked up a 4Gb hard drive that had been little more
>than a paper weight for 3 or 4 years and installed XP. I disconnected
>my 2 hard drives at mobo level and used a new data cable to connect
>the old 4Gb to the mobo. Installation was a dream. It created my
>internet connection without any help, and amazingly, found my home
>network. I felt redundant.
>
>However, when I first started the install I realised that I still had
>the new drive connected from using Maxblast3 on it so I prematurely
>withdrew using the on screen advice of pressing ESC. Then I connected
>the old 4Gb and did the perfect install.
>
>Afterwards, I tried to install to the new drive and it found an
>existing O/S from the premature install and offered me options. I
>took the option to keep the same partition and reuse the folders.
>Eventually, I was driven to use Maxblast from scratch again.
>
>Using ing FAQ 36 the following happened:
>
>It didn't like bootcfg/list without the space but then everything went
>as expected. It couldn't scan the disk and advised me to use chkdsk.
>
>This appeared on screen:
>
>C:\Windows> chkdsk /p
>Chkdsk is checking the volumes
>Chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery. (3 times)
>Chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume.
>19535008K total disk space
>19036876K are available.
>
>There was the usual info about cluster size.
>
>I am back to the same HAL message. Please re-install a copy of the
>above file.
>
>Sorry about the fine detail.
>
>Colin
Try to reinstall, and when given the option to delete the partition,
do so, then recreate the partition and use full format option before
install.
SOMETIMES Windows hitches on quick format partitions made by 3rd party
tools. I've only noticed this on the partition to which the OS is
being installed........after installation, Windows should have no
problem with the other partitions. Allowing WINDOWS to create this
partition should solve the prob.

Side note: I'm not too impressed with Maxtors utility tools (LOVE
their drives!) .... I would prefer using Partition Magic, although
there are other comparable tools that are free.

§kullywag©-

Colin thank you for your kind comment about my site being 'remarkable.' I
try to cover as much as i possible can. This is not always possible because
of time constraints and work committments. Plus the fact that webspace
allocation on the site is filling up fast which means the site may have to
consider paying for a hosting site.
However less of my problems and back to yours. here is Microsoft's line on
the problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320252

This isn't too informative, so the only thing i can suggest is to reinstall
xp again only this time, when it discovers that you already have a copy of
xp installed you should have the option to Delete the partition. I suggest
you delete the partition and then create a new one (using XP), allow xp to
format the new partition and then installation should proceed.
Before proceeding you might like to look at Questions 7 and 85 on my
website. This will give you more information on partitioning and installing
xp.

Hopefully, this next time you won't have any problems - well fingers
crossed.

--

> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:48:46 -0000, "John Barnett MVP"
> <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
>
>>You actually installed XP fully to your drive?
>
> No. I got the HAL problem before it finished the whole setup routine.
>
> And now when you reboot you
>>get this error?
>>Visit my website http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
>>click the Win XP Faq button and take a look at question 36. See if that
>>solves the problem. If not then come back to the newgroup for further
>>instructions.
>

> First, many thanks for your remarkable web site.
>
> You deserve the whole story.
>
> Linux has resulted in certain BIOS problems which are unexplained.
> That's interesting in its own right. I decided to buy a new hard drive
> and progressively install windows XP and then Suse 9.2.
>
> As a dry run I picked up a 4Gb hard drive that had been little more
> than a paper weight for 3 or 4 years and installed XP. I disconnected
> my 2 hard drives at mobo level and used a new data cable to connect
> the old 4Gb to the mobo. Installation was a dream. It created my
> internet connection without any help, and amazingly, found my home
> network. I felt redundant.
>
> However, when I first started the install I realised that I still had
> the new drive connected from using Maxblast3 on it so I prematurely
> withdrew using the on screen advice of pressing ESC. Then I connected
> the old 4Gb and did the perfect install.
>
> Afterwards, I tried to install to the new drive and it found an
> existing O/S from the premature install and offered me options. I
> took the option to keep the same partition and reuse the folders.
> Eventually, I was driven to use Maxblast from scratch again.
>
> Using ing FAQ 36 the following happened:
>
> It didn't like bootcfg/list without the space but then everything went
> as expected. It couldn't scan the disk and advised me to use chkdsk.
>
> This appeared on screen:
>
> C:\Windows> chkdsk /p
> Chkdsk is checking the volumes
> Chkdsk is performing additional checking or recovery. (3 times)
> Chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume.
> 19535008K total disk space
> 19036876K are available.
>
> There was the usual info about cluster size.
>
> I am back to the same HAL message. Please re-install a copy of the
> above file.
>
> Sorry about the fine detail.
>
> Colin

ME

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>
>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>still no good.
>
>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>if I can.
>
>Colin

Deleting the primary partition and getting the windows setup disk to
format it did the trick - almost. There was no obvious hitch, but
windows now wants to start up in safe mode because there is something
missing. That's where I am at.

What next, please?

Colin

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:48:28 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>>
>>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>>still no good.
>>
>>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>>if I can.
>>
>>Colin
>

>Deleting the primary partition and getting the windows setup disk to
>format it did the trick - almost. There was no obvious hitch, but
>windows now wants to start up in safe mode because there is something
>missing. That's where I am at.
>
>What next, please?
>
>Colin
Can you be more specific? Does windows display a msg referring to
the "something" that is missing? In safe mode, have you checked device
manager for lacking drivers? Have you installed chipset drivers for
your motherboard?
If windows is booting straight into safe without error msgs, my best
guess would be the chipset drivers. WindowsXP has a slim set of
refence drivers, and often chipset drivers are necessary on clean
installs. If you do not have the disc that came with your
motherboard, you can find drivers at your PC/Motherboard manufacturers
website.

§kullywag©-

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:04:54 GMT, §kullywag©- <skullywag@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:48:28 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>>>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>>>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>>>
>>>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>>>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>>>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>>>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>>>still no good.
>>>
>>>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>>>if I can.
>>>
>>>Colin
>>

>>Deleting the primary partition and getting the windows setup disk to
>>format it did the trick - almost. There was no obvious hitch, but
>>windows now wants to start up in safe mode because there is something
>>missing. That's where I am at.
>>
>>What next, please?
>>
>>Colin
>Can you be more specific? Does windows display a msg referring to
>the "something" that is missing? In safe mode, have you checked device
>manager for lacking drivers? Have you installed chipset drivers for
>your motherboard?
>If windows is booting straight into safe without error msgs, my best
>guess would be the chipset drivers. WindowsXP has a slim set of
>refence drivers, and often chipset drivers are necessary on clean
>installs. If you do not have the disc that came with your
>motherboard, you can find drivers at your PC/Motherboard manufacturers
>website.
>

>§kullywag©-
Sorry that I misled you. It isn't booting straight into safe mode. It
did say that something was not right but what with the stress I can't
remember. There were several options. I chose to boot up normally
and it didn't like that. On returning to the same screen I chose safe
mode for want of anything better.

I thought that I might use the settings transfer wizard to lift the
settings from an old drive on which I did a "dry run" and which was a
perfect job. I would be very happy if the installation was as perfect
as that one.

Or I could install on that old drive a cloning prog and then squirt it
onto the new drive.

Colin

What is missing? We need more details.

--

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>>
>>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>>still no good.
>>
>>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>>if I can.
>>
>>Colin
>

> Deleting the primary partition and getting the windows setup disk to
> format it did the trick - almost. There was no obvious hitch, but
> windows now wants to start up in safe mode because there is something
> missing. That's where I am at.
>
> What next, please?
>
> Colin

ME

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:23:22 -0000, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

>What is missing? We need more details.
How can I find out. The message wasn't specific (I think).

Colin

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:11:51 GMT, Colin Bearfield
<c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:04:54 GMT, §kullywag©- <skullywag@hotmail.com>
>wrote:

>>>Deleting the primary partition and getting the windows setup disk to
>>>format it did the trick - almost. There was no obvious hitch, but
>>>windows now wants to start up in safe mode because there is something
>>>missing. That's where I am at.
>>>
>>>What next, please?
>>>
>>>Colin
>>Can you be more specific? Does windows display a msg referring to
>>the "something" that is missing? In safe mode, have you checked device
>>manager for lacking drivers? Have you installed chipset drivers for
>>your motherboard?
>>If windows is booting straight into safe without error msgs, my best
>>guess would be the chipset drivers. WindowsXP has a slim set of
>>refence drivers, and often chipset drivers are necessary on clean
>>installs. If you do not have the disc that came with your
>>motherboard, you can find drivers at your PC/Motherboard manufacturers
>>website.
>>

>>§kullywag©-
>Sorry that I misled you. It isn't booting straight into safe mode. It
>did say that something was not right but what with the stress I can't
>remember. There were several options. I chose to boot up normally
>and it didn't like that. On returning to the same screen I chose safe
>mode for want of anything better.
>
>I thought that I might use the settings transfer wizard to lift the
>settings from an old drive on which I did a "dry run" and which was a
>perfect job. I would be very happy if the installation was as perfect
>as that one.
>
>Or I could install on that old drive a cloning prog and then squirt it
>onto the new drive.
>
>Colin

Again, did you re load just chipset drivers once you entered Safe
Mode? For Windows to only run in Safe Mode, means that something in
startup is either missing or wrong. Safe Mode is just Windows without
start up items, and a VGA display.
Without a specific error msg, or knowing what item Windows choked
on....... I could guess all day. Could be missing certain chipset
drivers, could be wrong video driver, wrong SATA driver, the list is
endless. In safe mode go into your device manager and look for
conflicting/missing devices and poke around to see what doesn't "look
right".
The same mistake on a different drive would have the same outcome.

§kullywag©-

ME

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:16:34 GMT, §kullywag©- <skullywag@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:11:51 GMT, Colin Bearfield
><c.bearfield@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:04:54 GMT, §kullywag©- <skullywag@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Can you be more specific? Does windows display a msg referring to
>>>the "something" that is missing? In safe mode, have you checked device
>>>manager for lacking drivers? Have you installed chipset drivers for
>>>your motherboard?
>>>If windows is booting straight into safe without error msgs, my best
>>>guess would be the chipset drivers. WindowsXP has a slim set of
>>>refence drivers, and often chipset drivers are necessary on clean
>>>installs. If you do not have the disc that came with your
>>>motherboard, you can find drivers at your PC/Motherboard manufacturers
>>>website.
>>>

>>>§kullywag©-
>>Sorry that I misled you. It isn't booting straight into safe mode. It
>>did say that something was not right but what with the stress I can't
>>remember. There were several options. I chose to boot up normally
>>and it didn't like that. On returning to the same screen I chose safe
>>mode for want of anything better.
>>
>>I thought that I might use the settings transfer wizard to lift the
>>settings from an old drive on which I did a "dry run" and which was a
>>perfect job. I would be very happy if the installation was as perfect
>>as that one.
>>
>>Or I could install on that old drive a cloning prog and then squirt it
>>onto the new drive.
>>
>>Colin
>
>Again, did you re load just chipset drivers once you entered Safe
>Mode? For Windows to only run in Safe Mode, means that something in
>startup is either missing or wrong. Safe Mode is just Windows without
>start up items, and a VGA display.
>Without a specific error msg, or knowing what item Windows choked
>on....... I could guess all day. Could be missing certain chipset
>drivers, could be wrong video driver, wrong SATA driver, the list is
>endless. In safe mode go into your device manager and look for
>conflicting/missing devices and poke around to see what doesn't "look
>right".
>The same mistake on a different drive would have the same outcome.
>

>§kullywag©-

Thank you for your interest.

I am in safe mode only because I don't know what else to do. The old
drive that took such a perfect installation as a "dry run" was
connected to my prime computer as HD1. This was so that I could
capture an image of its installation and possibly squirt it onto the
new drive. I jumpered it as a slave. When I powered up there was
nothing on the drive but unallocated space, so I am beset with
problems. I have since returned it to my second machine and installed
XP without a problem.

Later today I shall detach it and boot up to the new drive again.
Assuming that it wants to boot up in safe mode I shall take a picture
of the screen so that I can copy down the message it gives.

I did trawl through device manager and all that were available in safe
mode were reported as trouble free. I shall have more to report when
I have booted up again to the new drive.

ME

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>
>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>still no good.
>
>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>if I can.
>
>Colin

I feel let down and humiliated.

The old drive that took the XP installation in its stride then lost
the lot when I transferred it to my good computer has taken another
install. This morning it has booted up as though nothing had happened.

I wonder what will happen when I connect up my new Maxtor? Will it
still want safe mode?

Colin

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:51:59 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>>
>>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>>still no good.
>>
>>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>>if I can.
>>
>>Colin
>

>I feel let down and humiliated.
>
>The old drive that took the XP installation in its stride then lost
>the lot when I transferred it to my good computer has taken another
>install. This morning it has booted up as though nothing had happened.
>
>I wonder what will happen when I connect up my new Maxtor? Will it
>still want safe mode?
>
>Colin
I'm not sure I'm following your process........ but from what you've
recently added, I would think MaxBlast did not handle the
partitioning, and formatting of the drive properly.
Let's try a CLEAN start here.
Connect your new Maxtor drive to your good pc in Primary/Master HD0
position. Do not connect any other hard drive.

Boot off your windowsxp cd to install, and partion/format the WHOLE
drive.
When given the option, delete all previous partitions (created with
MaxBlast) and create and format one large partion. (if you have a
large drive-over 120G, windows may not recognize the full
ammount---this is OK).

You can then create/resize partions AFTER installing windows.
There are plenty of free tools for creating partitions in windows, and
this will allow access to ALL your HD space no matter what the size of
the disk. I personally use Partition Magic (pay).

TIP: If windows setup does not "see" the other partitions you
previously created with MaxBlast, simply boot off a win98 bootdisk,
and remove all partitions via fdisk, and format the whole drive with
FAT32. WindowsXP will later give you the option convert the drive
into NTFS during install. And remember on a NEW drive, never use the
"quick format" option. (this is ok to use on later reinstalls, but
you want the disk fully formatted the first time you use it).

It has been my experience in the past to never use a utility disk that
comes with a new drive to partition/format the disk before OS install.
Sometimes windows doesn't see the "quick formats" as valid NTFS or
FAT32 partitions. Better to let Windows to reate/full format first,
and then use the tool of your choice after windows is up and running
to make/resize partions (and convert the ones you want to FAT32) .

If you get frustrated.........give it a break, and enjoy some of this
fine Easter Sunday.

§kullywag©-

Colin,

>"Boot off your windowsxp cd to install, and partion/format the WHOLE
>drive.
>When given the option, delete all previous partitions (created with
>MaxBlast) and create and format one large partion. (if you have a
>large drive-over 120G, windows may not recognize the full
>ammount---this is OK)."

Do Not create one large partition on the drive. if you do you will 'not' be
able to create further partitions using windows xp. You will need something
like Partition magic. Just create a partition of say 15 to 20GB for windows
xp. As scallyway say's, by all means delete all the other partitions. If you
create a partition the full size of the drive you will have no unallocated
space in which to create further partitions. By simply creating one
partition of 15 to 20GB and installing XP on that partition you will hace
approximately 140GB of unallocated space left. You can then use computer
managment in control panel to create further primary or secondary partitions
from within windows. Please note you can only create 4 primary partitions on
any drive.

--

"§kullywag©-" <skullywag@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> and remove all partitions via fdisk, and format the whole drive with
> FAT32. WindowsXP will later give you the option convert the drive
> into NTFS during install. And remember on a NEW drive, never use the
> "quick format" option. (this is ok to use on later reinstalls, but
> you want the disk fully formatted the first time you use it).
>
> It has been my experience in the past to never use a utility disk that
> comes with a new drive to partition/format the disk before OS install.
> Sometimes windows doesn't see the "quick formats" as valid NTFS or
> FAT32 partitions. Better to let Windows to reate/full format first,
> and then use the tool of your choice after windows is up and running
> to make/resize partions (and convert the ones you want to FAT32) .
>
> If you get frustrated.........give it a break, and enjoy some of this

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:14:39 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
<freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:

>Colin,
>
>>"Boot off your windowsxp cd to install, and partion/format the WHOLE
>>drive.
>>When given the option, delete all previous partitions (created with
>>MaxBlast) and create and format one large partion. (if you have a
>>large drive-over 120G, windows may not recognize the full
>>ammount---this is OK)."
>
>Do Not create one large partition on the drive. if you do you will 'not' be
>able to create further partitions using windows xp. You will need something
>like Partition magic. Just create a partition of say 15 to 20GB for windows
>xp. As scallyway say's, by all means delete all the other partitions. If you
>create a partition the full size of the drive you will have no unallocated
>space in which to create further partitions. By simply creating one
>partition of 15 to 20GB and installing XP on that partition you will hace
>approximately 140GB of unallocated space left. You can then use computer
>managment in control panel to create further primary or secondary partitions
>from within windows. Please note you can only create 4 primary partitions on
>any drive.

You will note that after making one large partition, I suggested
partitioning after Windows installs with a 3rd party tool. And I
stand by that. Windows would be the LAST tool I would use to make
multiple partitions.
3rd party tools allow you to "see" the size of partitions in
correlation with disk size, allow you to switch back and forth from
different sizes till they "look right" and also allow you the option
of formatting partitions in any combo of formats. "Unallocated space"
is created fast and easily by resizing the primary partition. Now,
add the fact that these 3rd party tools will do the job in a mere
fraction of the time windows can...... I say stick with 3rd party
tools.

My main assertion was that the brand new disk got a "full" format
first using a windows made partition. Although partition managers do
an excellent job of managing disks after OS install, If you
create/partition with them on a brand new disk (before install) ,
Windows often sees these as "invalid format types". This is not the
case in subsequent installs, and backup restores.

§kullywag©-

ME

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:08:22 GMT, §kullywag©- <skullywag@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:51:59 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:16:43 GMT, me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have just bought a Maxtor 160Gb hard drive. Using the beautiful
>>>Maxblast3.exe I have formatted it to 7 partitions, the first one being
>>>primary and using ntfs. FAT 32 is on all others.
>>>
>>>XP won't install. I made the mistake of starting to install and
>>>realised I wasn't ready, so pressed ESC to cancel setup. Since then
>>>it has recognised that some files were already on the drive and I have
>>>taken the option of using the same partition and the same folders, but
>>>still no good.
>>>
>>>Is this because I have used more than 4 partitions? I really want 7
>>>if I can.
>>>
>>>Colin
>>

>>I feel let down and humiliated.
>>
>>The old drive that took the XP installation in its stride then lost
>>the lot when I transferred it to my good computer has taken another
>>install. This morning it has booted up as though nothing had happened.
>>
>>I wonder what will happen when I connect up my new Maxtor? Will it
>>still want safe mode?
>>
>>Colin
>I'm not sure I'm following your process........ but from what you've
>recently added, I would think MaxBlast did not handle the
>partitioning, and formatting of the drive properly.
>Let's try a CLEAN start here.
>Connect your new Maxtor drive to your good pc in Primary/Master HD0
>position. Do not connect any other hard drive.
>
>Boot off your windowsxp cd to install, and partion/format the WHOLE
>drive.
>When given the option, delete all previous partitions (created with
>MaxBlast) and create and format one large partion. (if you have a
>large drive-over 120G, windows may not recognize the full
>ammount---this is OK).
>
>You can then create/resize partions AFTER installing windows.
>There are plenty of free tools for creating partitions in windows, and
>this will allow access to ALL your HD space no matter what the size of
>the disk. I personally use Partition Magic (pay).

I was Partition magic 8 for Christmas some time ago.

>TIP: If windows setup does not "see" the other partitions you
>previously created with MaxBlast, simply boot off a win98 bootdisk,
>and remove all partitions via fdisk, and format the whole drive with
>FAT32. WindowsXP will later give you the option convert the drive
>into NTFS during install. And remember on a NEW drive, never use the
>"quick format" option. (this is ok to use on later reinstalls, but
>you want the disk fully formatted the first time you use it).
>
>It has been my experience in the past to never use a utility disk that
>comes with a new drive to partition/format the disk before OS install.
>Sometimes windows doesn't see the "quick formats" as valid NTFS or
>FAT32 partitions. Better to let Windows to reate/full format first,
>and then use the tool of your choice after windows is up and running
>to make/resize partions (and convert the ones you want to FAT32) .
>
>If you get frustrated.........give it a break, and enjoy some of this
>fine Easter Sunday.

I'm doing that right now.

>§kullywag©-
Best wishes

Colin

ME

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:59:22 GMT, §kullywag©- <skullywag@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:14:39 +0100, "John Barnett MVP"
><freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote:
>
>>Colin,
>>
>>>"Boot off your windowsxp cd to install, and partion/format the WHOLE
>>>drive.
>>>When given the option, delete all previous partitions (created with
>>>MaxBlast) and create and format one large partion. (if you have a
>>>large drive-over 120G, windows may not recognize the full
>>>ammount---this is OK)."
>>
>>Do Not create one large partition on the drive. if you do you will 'not' be
>>able to create further partitions using windows xp. You will need something
>>like Partition magic. Just create a partition of say 15 to 20GB for windows
>>xp. As scallyway say's, by all means delete all the other partitions. If you
>>create a partition the full size of the drive you will have no unallocated
>>space in which to create further partitions. By simply creating one
>>partition of 15 to 20GB and installing XP on that partition you will hace
>>approximately 140GB of unallocated space left. You can then use computer
>>managment in control panel to create further primary or secondary partitions
>>from within windows. Please note you can only create 4 primary partitions on
>>any drive.
>
>You will note that after making one large partition, I suggested
>partitioning after Windows installs with a 3rd party tool. And I
>stand by that. Windows would be the LAST tool I would use to make
>multiple partitions.
>3rd party tools allow you to "see" the size of partitions in
>correlation with disk size, allow you to switch back and forth from
>different sizes till they "look right" and also allow you the option
>of formatting partitions in any combo of formats. "Unallocated space"
>is created fast and easily by resizing the primary partition. Now,
>add the fact that these 3rd party tools will do the job in a mere
>fraction of the time windows can...... I say stick with 3rd party
>tools.
>
>My main assertion was that the brand new disk got a "full" format
>first using a windows made partition. Although partition managers do
>an excellent job of managing disks after OS install, If you
>create/partition with them on a brand new disk (before install) ,
>Windows often sees these as "invalid format types". This is not the
>case in subsequent installs, and backup restores.
>

>§kullywag©-

I have just booted up to the new drive. It is not detected at all.

The old drive on which I did the "dry run" is booting up well.

Just to make sure I've got this right:

Disconnect all drives from my good machine.

Connect the new drive as master and insert the XP cd into the drive.

Power up.

Format the whole drive and create a 20Gb primary partition using
FAT32.

Install XP (easy for you to say).

Install Partition Magic or similar and partition the rest of the
drive.

Transfer the new drive to the old machine and stand well back.

BTW I have often used fdisk for such things but al the W98 start up
disks have become mongrels where fdisk and format are the wrong
version. Is there any advice on using my original W98SE install CD to
create a fresh one?

Best wishes

Colin

Why are you moving the HDD from machine to machine? Put the HDD in the machine it will be used in and then install XP to it. By the way I suggest useing NTFS for the file system.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
<me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:ku2e41htr5787pcl4lbshffmcra6ti3era@4ax.com...

| I have just booted up to the new drive. It is not detected at all.
|

| The old drive on which I did the "dry run" is booting up well.
|
| Just to make sure I've got this right:
|
| Disconnect all drives from my good machine.
|
| Connect the new drive as master and insert the XP cd into the drive.
|
| Power up.
|
| Format the whole drive and create a 20Gb primary partition using
| FAT32.
|
| Install XP (easy for you to say).
|
| Install Partition Magic or similar and partition the rest of the
| drive.
|
| Transfer the new drive to the old machine and stand well back.
|
| BTW I have often used fdisk for such things but al the W98 start up
| disks have become mongrels where fdisk and format are the wrong
| version. Is there any advice on using my original W98SE install CD to
| create a fresh one?
|
| Best wishes
|
| Colin

ME

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:03:49 -0600, » mrtee «
<hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote:

>Why are you moving the HDD from machine to machine? Put the HDD in the machine it will be used in and then install XP to it. By the way I suggest useing NTFS for the file system.

Well, this is my last option and I thought it was good advice. I can
see where you're coming from, I have tried all the foregoing on the
machine where it is to be installed and it hasn't worked. Also, maybe
if I only format the drive on the newer machine and then return it to
the old machine for XP installation it might help.

I need to do something fairly soon. It's been 3 days of struggle.
Could it be a flaky drive?

Colin