[SOLVED] Maybe the tower is too small?

zhshqzyc

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016
Hello, here is my issue.

I have a HP 6305 SFF Refurbished Desktop, AMD A4 3.4Ghz, 4GB Memory, 1TB HDD . The power supply is 240w.
I wanted to upgrade it. So I ordered an ARESGAME AGV650(650W) power supply and just delivered. My bad! I found that it is too big, so I can't put it into the tower. I shouldn't order it.

The second thing is that I also ordered EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card. It has been shipped but not delivered yet. I don't know whether it is fit the tower but now I am afraid of the size as well.

So please advise me what I need to do? Return all or buy a new tower case DIY?

Thanks

Solution
I don't know what kind of motherboard, can you recommend one?
I got myself MSI B75A-IE35, which is an Asian market model, but it's been working quite well for me. There are many ASUS P series on that socket (LGA 1155 / H2) that are great too, either ATX or mATX.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You might be able to breadboard it, but suspect that the PSU you have will require adapters to fit the mobo.
Even still, that A4 is not going to give a good experience attempting to game with it. As above, you should likely start shopping new system, and it seems that with the GPU, even outdated now, is FAR ahead of the game when doing a build right now.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
So please advise me what I need to do? Return all or buy a new tower case DIY?
You could get a 2nd gen i5 like a 3470 for around $30 on ebay, a used motherboard for around $40 and a cheap ATX mid tower case for $30-50... you already got the compatible RAM (although 4GB more would be better), you got the PSU and the GPU is on it's way. So roughly $100 for a better performing build.

Reactions: zhshqzyc

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a cough psu and a gpu on the way. That's more than most have if it's actually already been shipped.

Personally, since you have the single hardest part to get coming, I'd go ahead and finish the build. Motherboard, cpu, ram, storage, case. When all is done, move all your data over to the new pc, format the old pc, put a new unregistered copy of windows on it and sell it as is.

Overall cost will be cheaper and you'll have a pc you can actually do something with other than play MS Hearts or Solitaire.

zhshqzyc

Reputable
Oct 24, 2016
You could get a 2nd gen i5 like a 3470 for around $30 on ebay, a used motherboard for around $40 and a cheap ATX mid tower case for $30-50... you already got the compatible RAM (although 4GB more would be better), you got the PSU and the GPU is on it's way. So roughly $100 for a better performing build.
I don't know what kind of motherboard, can you recommend one?