Question Mechanical keyboard types multiple keys

May 21, 2018
In about the last year and a half, I've owned two mechanical keyboards that have been giving me the same issue. My first was the Razor Blackwidow and it would type multiple letters when I pressed it once but only on certain keys. Now I have the Gamdias Hermes E1 keyboard and it's starting to do the same with my 'A' key but also sometimes does not register when I press it. I've owned this for 7 months now.

I thought mechanical keyboards were supposed to be better than regular keyboards but now not is it annoying to keep erasing letters but also not knowing how to fix the issue. Do these things last 6 months to a year? I've always thought they were meant to last long.

Do you guys have any ideas I can use to fix my keyboards or one that I can buy that will last a long time? I don't want to keep dishing out $60 for a new keyboard periodically.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a Razor Blackwidow for about 3 years, it only died when the W key stopped working. I have had a Logitech G910 for about 3 years since then, so no, they not supposed to last just 6 months.

Are you on win 10? Have you tried a clean boot and see if it still happens - read instructions carefully and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft Services or PC won't work right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if it does help, slowly re add startup programs again (Over a few restarts) to find the program causing the problem... as it could be a software conflict.

You did not pick out the best parts, Razer products on on the lower end of quality for the price, and the Gamdias is a low end keyboard.

If you want something that should be pretty durable take a look at some of the $100-150 keyboards. Leopold, Filco, Corsair, even the lower end Cooler Master had a pretty solid feel when I looked at them, for about $80.

May 21, 2018
Thanks for the replies but the clean boot method did not work. Hell, I even did a clean boot on safe mode and it still does the same thing. It's definitely a hardware defect.

I also looked into the more expensive keyboards but I can't bring myself to buy a keyboard at ~$150. What I did is the complete opposite, I bought the cheapest keyboard at $20. I'm personally going to see how long that will last to see if it's a better investment.

Thanks for the replies but the clean boot method did not work. Hell, I even did a clean boot on safe mode and it still does the same thing. It's definitely a hardware defect.

I also looked into the more expensive keyboards but I can't bring myself to buy a keyboard at ~$150. What I did is the complete opposite, I bought the cheapest keyboard at $20. I'm personally going to see how long that will last to see if it's a better investment.

You can get a good quality mechanical for $80 or so, 150 is getting to the higher end.

And you use a keyboard 100% of the time you are on the computer, it's worth getting a good one, same thing with a mouse and monitor.

There is no reason why a cheap keyboard won't last long, but price and how long it lasts is not all people look at, it's also how much you enjoy using it. $20 spend on something you wish you could change every time you use it is wasted money $100 on something you actually want to get is a real purchase.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
And you use a keyboard 100% of the time you are on the computer, it's worth getting a good one, same thing with a mouse and monitor.

I agree, if you going to use it all the time you might as well spend more to get something that might last much longer than a cheap part and be more fun to use the entire time. KB & mouse are two things I always go nuts on, as I will use them everyday

You can buy cheap mice or you can buy a good one that might only need to be replaced after 9 years because its driver software hasn't been updated in a few years. And then all I did was replace it with a newer model from same company.

A good keyboard should easily last 5 years, I was disappointed in my Razer KB as the one I had used before it had lasted about 7 years. So 6 months is way too short. Current Logitech feels like a rock, they sort of know how to make Keyboards having been at it a long time.