MechWarrior 4 Cleared for Free Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Wow, what an old school game. Wasn't this on the consoles first?!? I had Mechwarrior 1 on the Super Nes! This game was cool and ahead of its time. Of course it borrowed from Robotech and Gundamn, but its a mighty fine mech game. I guess following this release we will eventually see a Mechwarrior 5 or something in the lines of a mechwarrior themed game this year!

kriswitak

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I can't wait for the new MechWarrior series. With new graphics engines, and destructible environments, these games will promise to be a breath of fresh air in the ever bloated franchise of FPS gaming. Man, it will be awesome, I hope.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

No, MechWarrior 4 was PC-only, as was MechWarrior 3. MechWarior & MechWarrior 2 were both available on consoles a while after their initial PC release. (in the case of the former, it came out on the PC in 1989, with the SNES version coming out in 1992, if memory serves.

Actually, MechWarrior was based in the BattleTech universe, which actually pre-dates RoboTech. (1984 vs 1985) I think it's a bit unrelated to Mobile Suit Gundam, which pre-dates both of the others (1979)

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Mechwarrior IS battletech, indeed- Mechwarrior is a profession in the Battletech Universe.

As someone who checks Mektek every day- I'm glad that more people are hearing about this. Maybe the servers will be full again!

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]Of course it borrowed from Robotech and Gundamn, but its a mighty fine mech game. [/citation]

Again- this is incorrect.

Mechwarrior is based in the Battletech Universe- using it's mechs and storyline.
(of course- you're right in that Battletech shared some ideas with Gundam and Robotech)

Nowa

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006

Yes. You could say that the Mechwarrior 4 free release was/is a publicity stunt of sorts. It was announced around the same time with the trailer of the upcoming new MechWarrior game, by Smith and Tinker INC. Lets just hope it will be at least as good as the rest of the series.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Actually, the designs were based on Super Dimensional Fortress: Macross (1982), which later was added to two other series to become Robotech. In the series you will find: Rifleman, Warhammer, Stinger, Wasp, Marauder, and maybe some others but I can't think of them at the moment.

Nowa

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006

I disagree. While it is true that microsoft butchered the franchise somewhat after acquiring the license, especially in the case of Mech Commander 2, the games were still good in their own respect. The biggest change was propably the mech customization that was heavily altered from MW3 -> MW4. Still I think that MW4 was a superior game in many other aspects such as story and general gameplay.

Now if we could get another Mech Commander or Crescent Hawk's Inception/revenge style game that would really make my day :love:

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Don't need it I have installed on my vista ultimate 64bit with 8GB and it runs pretty fast ;-P What's with the xbox bs at the end?

johnnyfive622

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
For those wanting updated graphics in a mech engine, there is a mod for Crysis called mechwarrior: living legends that is currently in beta.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tweakbz[/nom]MechAssault 1&2 were on original xbox.[/citation]

Mech Assault is the red headed stepchild of the Mech Warrior series.

They basically stripped away everything that made Mech Warrior good and out fell Mech Assault, an empty shell of its predecessors.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Those games were great and I hope this means a PC download, not just Xbox Live for the 360. I remember buying another joystick just to get the full movement of the Mech Warrior games. It was a Logitech with a twist handle, when you twisted the handle the mech torso twisted but not the feet, really helped allot. It worked well with Freespace too, the twist handle did not interfere.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The original tactical board game was actually called "Battle Droids" I own a copy and it came with 2 plastic models you had to build. FASA was sued by Lucas and changed the name the "Battle Tech".
I visited the FASA game studios in Chicago in 1989 and sat in and played the original Mech Pods. I asked the guy giving me the tour of the studio "So I guess I know what you guys do for a lunch break around here"
his reply was "We do not eat lunch" with an evil grin on his face.
I eagerly await the release of the free MW4 as it has updated graphics and mechs. I am also drooling over the MW redux by Smith and Tinker.

G

what does this mean? am i going to have the original copy for free? or maybe someone or some group would mod it to update the graphics and maybe gameplay?

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]what does this mean? am i going to have the original copy for free? or maybe someone or some group would mod it to update the graphics and maybe gameplay?[/citation]
It will be the complete MW4 and expansions and from what I understand from following the story is that there will indeed be updated textures for some and some new mechs as well.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
am i the only one that would like to see Mercs expanded, and a more random mission (with more than 3 kind) + multiple grand story arch type of game? And make time a factor this time so you can't do everything all at once without sacrificing (say less support if you came late to the battle because you were in the arenas), and with different starts from gladiators to clanners?

IMO that would be the greatest mechwarrior, maybe eventually adding some small elements of risk if you went as a commander route (SMALL, not turning this into RTT like MC2/1 or RTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.