MechWarrior 4 Now Available for Free Download

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

awh i get a 404 error when i click the link. Too much demand maybe.

jheregknt

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Mektek is getting hammered very hard they had no idea that the news would have such an huge demand. They had over 100K simultaneous requests over the weekend which basically cooked the hardware. They are backup and running but just barely. There are torrents out with the 3 downloads neededed. You can use those and install them via the MTX client.
For all technical issues please visit the forums:
http://www.mektek.net/forums/

Franklin Hennersdorfer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Heh...I almost feel guilty downloading this, almost like I'm pirating. What a nice gesture though, of Microsoft and others, to let this one go free. Aren't many good companies around out there that would do such a thing.

Thanks to Toms Hardware, too, for the heads up. Finally, news I can sink my proverbial gaming teeth into. :D

[citation][nom]kostya001[/nom]woah...can't wait for the new mechwarrior. amazing, its only 1.7GB. I remember when games used to be in megabytes... and look at them now![/citation]

I remember when the coolest games came on a single 3.5" floppy disk. :)

G

The mechtek site is still getting slammed, but it is up and dowloading.Incidently there are three updates not one. The first is the basic game requiring the cd to run. The second is an update to add mechs requires a cd to run. The third is the update to remove copy protection, requires no cd to run after update is done. MTX is primarily an updater o insure correct installation

jheregknt

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Does anyone know where I can download the free Mac version? Anyone? Anyone? Hello...?[/citation]
Microsoft never made a Mac version and MekTek has no plans in porting it nor is that an option in the release agreement ...so.. nope

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]HalJordan[/nom]Does anyone know where I can download the free Mac version? Anyone? Anyone? Hello...?[/citation]

LoooooL

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jheregknt[/nom]Microsoft never made a Mac version and MekTek has no plans in porting it nor is that an option in the release agreement ...so.. nope[/citation]

Sorry, forgot /sarcasm on my last post. Though, the idea of the words "Mac" and "free" in regards to a game were kind of a dead give away that I was making fun of Apple. Alas, any joke you must explain is not a very good joke. So, I admit it, JOKE FAIL.

G

Okay, forgive my ignorance, but how do I actually download & play the game...when I click on the link, I DL & install MekTekX, but it doesn't seem to actually DL the game...

jheregknt

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]clasam[/nom]Okay, forgive my ignorance, but how do I actually download & play the game...when I click on the link, I DL & install MekTekX, but it doesn't seem to actually DL the game...[/citation]
MTX is basically a torrent client, make sure your firewall will allow the traffic. Please also consult the MekTek site:
http://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/support.html

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why would you want a Mac version of MechWarrior4 when a Mac can run Windows OS? Oh this is Tom's I forgot, ignorance is bliss.

Be warned, nothing is ever Free. You always pay the price -- I mean who's willing to work for nothing?? Are you?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I have had my multi-axis USB rumble joystick just sitting around for almost 5 years waiting for a CAD/SpaceSim use for it... Sitting. Waiting. Sitting. Waiting. Collecting layers upon layers of dust... Just getting in the way...

Will I finally have use for my beloved joystick?!? God, I hope so. I'm downloading this NAUGH!

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
What an awful piece of software that MTX is. It was hanging all the time, slow and just causing grief all over the place. So MTX has been uninstalled and I guess I won't be playing this classic any time soon.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]I remember when the coolest games came on a single 3.5" floppy disk.[/citation]

I remember quiet clearly the swap from 5.25" to 3.5". Anybody else here gamed with an 8" with the original Star Trek, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.