MechWarrior 4 Now Available for Free Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

kostya001

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
woah...can't wait for the new mechwarrior. amazing, its only 1.7GB. I remember when games used to be in megabytes... and look at them now!

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
i think ALL older games (that have newer versions anyway) should be distributed online for free by their creators....

it would bring more individuals to the gaming community which would in turn increase sales of newer games

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]kostya001[/nom]woah...can't wait for the new mechwarrior. amazing, its only 1.7GB. I remember when games used to be in megabytes... and look at them now![/citation]

And in a few years you'll be saying the same thing about a 1.7 Tera-byte Game in higher definition.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Saturday their site was down due to the enormous amount of traffic; Mektek's sight that is. I tried to download it yesterday, but to no avail.

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
They just released this the end of last week and over the weekend and had over 100,000 downloads before there server blew up...they are fixing the problem now, so you may want to give it a few days to get sorted out. You have to download it through MTX, which is their own bittorrent type client. This is important, because all updates are also handled through MTX and MekPak 4 is due shortly also.

@hellwig...of course there is still torso twist, but many do play keyboard/mouse...for me, joysticks are just ,more fun

@crazy hitchhiker....actually, MS didn't have much to do with this, as Smith & Tinker owns the current rights, MS's approval was just crossing the T's and dotting the I's...The MekTek team has there hands full right now, and I highly doubt a Linux port.

This was released for free to generate interest in the upcoming ( someday ) Mechwarrior 5, also by Smith & Tinker

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
This was mentioned over the weekend on shacknews.com.
I have been trying to get to their website (mektek) but it has been down because of the mass people hitting the site.

jheregknt

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
MECHWARRIOR IS BACK! MEKTEK CRASHES HARD DURING RELEASE!

The web server is back online and we have a new version of MTX available.

The new version brings with it an offline mode, allowing you to install games and updates when the web servers are down. A critical flaw in our design pattern has been addressed where MTX would fail when our servers went down. There are risks involved with installing and updating in offline mode as the client can't verify the files to make sure they haven't become corrupted, but it does give you the option if you wish to install when the web server is unavailable. If the files are corrupted, you will have to re-download and reinstall in order to connect to servers running the correct version. If you already obtained the MTX patches else where then you should be able to download and install those patches with MTX by using the Browse > Open *.mtx function.

The router has been replaced, if you have the MTX client it will start the downloading process.

If you need the client : hhttp://mtxgear.mektek.net/mtx/beta/SetupMTX1.0.3.5.exe

Forums are also up : http://www.mektek.net/forums/

Status
Not open for further replies.