[SOLVED] Memory max OC value lowered?

Jun 1, 2021
I was using an Msi Afterburner profile to increase memory clock to +500 and noticed that applying the profile no longer works (the memory OC value stays at 0)
Manually dragging the slider only allows me to go to +300 mhz now, yesterday it went all the way to 1000.
What happened? I already tried updating GeForce drivers, no difference.
Rtx 3070 laptop

LE: I also tried with EVGA Precision overclocking tool. The GPU memory overclock slider only gives me 300mhz increase.

Solution
Well let me bust out my tinfoil hat for a minute. Nvidia is getting ready to release the 3070 ti which has to slot in between the 3070 and 3080. By limiting 3070's OC it gives credence for a need for the 3070 ti.

Watched a video from Jayztwocents yesterday that showed a 3080 Ti FTW3 matched the performance of the 3090 and is $200 (MSRP) cheaper. That is MSRP not scalper prices.

Ok tinfoil hat off, why would you OC a laptop video card? Laptops already have issues keeping cool compound on top of the GPU shortages i would not try to harm a GPU right now. Nvida is trying all sorts of things to stop miners so they could have put something in the drivers to update the bios to limit OC's
Jun 3, 2021
I am using a Zephyrus G15 with an RTX 3070. There was a VBIOS update that limited my GPU to +300mhz on memory when previously I used + 350. This is what I assume happened to you too. I would love to know why this happened.

EDIT: added the word memory

Jun 1, 2021
I am using a Zephyrus G15 with an RTX 3070. There was a VBIOS update that limited my GPU to +300mhz on memory when previously I used + 350. This is what I assume happened to you too. I would love to know why this happened.

EDIT: added the word memory
Interesting, how can I check if I got a vbios update? Also, how would it get updated? No one asked me to install anything

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Could've been a forced install, kinda like what Windows does once in a while when shutting down the PC. It can't be avoided, because you need to be connected to the internet.

Gpu-Z might help, but you also need to know the previous bios version.

Well let me bust out my tinfoil hat for a minute. Nvidia is getting ready to release the 3070 ti which has to slot in between the 3070 and 3080. By limiting 3070's OC it gives credence for a need for the 3070 ti.

Watched a video from Jayztwocents yesterday that showed a 3080 Ti FTW3 matched the performance of the 3090 and is $200 (MSRP) cheaper. That is MSRP not scalper prices.

Ok tinfoil hat off, why would you OC a laptop video card? Laptops already have issues keeping cool compound on top of the GPU shortages i would not try to harm a GPU right now. Nvida is trying all sorts of things to stop miners so they could have put something in the drivers to update the bios to limit OC's

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Jun 3, 2021

Using my Zephyrus as an example, I am able to pull the clocks up by nearly 200mhz at the same voltage using the voltage curve editor on MSI Afterbuner. This, coupled with the memory OC gives 15% better performance on average, while simultaneously using the same or less power because of the specifics of how I set up the curves. So a cooler, AND faster laptop GPU is highly preferable.

I doubt the 3070 ti will have a laptop GPU form, but perhaps!

EDIT: This is essentially an undervolt + overclock, so it shouldn't harm the GPU as long as it is stable.

Last edited by a moderator: