Memory / N.O.S.

niko_12

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Hey there,

Today I set my p5n32 se deluxe motherboard JumperFree settings to AI N.O.S.
The computer loaded fine but then I noticed it was reading 1gb of ram when I have been running 2 for years. It's corsair xms 2 6400 ram that runs at 5-5-5-15 but said 4-4-4-12 on the box.
I restarted the PC, removed the second ram stick that wasn't being read according to CPU-Z, insert it back in but the PC wouldn't boot. I removed it and it started booting fine so I went into BIOS settings and set my memory timings manually to 4-4-4-12.
Can somebody tell me if the stick burned out and if it's safe to have my remaining 1gb at 4-4-4-12 when that's the timing it reads on the wrapper of the memory?
Oh and if I go buy new memory what should I look for? Obviously price is going to be one but I will probably only need 1gb to get back to 2 gigs as it was enough for me. Should I look for 6400? Should I look for 4-4-4-12 to match my current gig? Should I try to see if they still have corsair xms2 6400 or is any 6400 ddr2 @ 4-4-4-12 going to do the job?

Update: I shut down my computer and put in the second stick back in, this time the computer loaded fine and it even read the 2 gigs so I got 2 gigs running at 4-4-4-12 which is what the corsair 6400 sticks have printed on the stickers. Anyone have any idea as to what's happening to my PC?

Welcome, newcomer. Ideally, anytime you experience a consistent memory problem, you should test your RAM with MemTest86+. Although currently your system is on par, testing the RAM will provide conclusive results. Buying new RAM may not really be the solution, as you could have a failing motherboard, or even a failing power supply.

However, if the RAM turns out to be the problem, the first thing to do is to check to see if you can buy a single 1 GB stick of your Corsair XMS2. If you can't find a stick of XMS2 to match your stick, look for a 2 x 1GB kit; you'll be better off. A last/worse case scenario would be to mix your RAM.

If you have to mix your RAM, try hard to find matches in timing, frequency, and voltage. With everything a perfect match, you should be ok. If this can't be done, find the closest match you can find. Considering the difficulty in mixing and matching, notice how much easier it would be to just by a new kit that is supported by your mobo (verify through QVL and/or tech support call/email).