[SOLVED] Memory speed is below the rated speed

Adam John

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
Ok I am tired of this , I have tried all possible solution but nothing works. Now I think I need to post my case. After many years of savings , I have finally built my favorite PC and everything was working perfectly. Here is my specs :
  • Gigabyte Aorus b550 master
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
  • 2X AORUS RGB Memory DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 4400MHz ( two identical kits with total of 32 GB)
  • GIGABYTE OC RTX 3070
But after just one month of use , I have moved back with my chair and it has just touched the the head of the power strip cable that was inserted into the power socket and then suddenly the computer has restarted (and the tv ) , I don't know how this has happened since it was expected that the pc should shutdown due to power loss. Since then , the computer start crashing with many BSOD errors but the majority was with MEMORY_MANAGMENT error and then I have done the following trials :

1 . I have reinstalled the windows , however still some BSOD crashes has happened but with less frequency than before .
2.I have changed the SSD and still getting BSOD crashes with MEMORY_MANAGMENT error .
3.I have then tested my memory with Memtest 86 with 4 passes and 0 errors. Still I was getting BSOD crashes. Still I was getting BSOD crashes.
4.For making sure that the CPU and GPU are working fine , I have made a stress test for each of them and they have passed the tests. Still I was getting BSOD crashes.
5.I have then plugged in only 2 sticks at a time. The system was working fine and all the combinations have worked good with no BSOD crashes.
6.Next , I have again plugged in the 4 sticks and the system is working fine till now ( I will edit the post if any crashes happens ) , however , the memory speed is now 2666 Mhz although XMP is enabled instead of 4400 Mhz :( . Also the volt is 1.5V ( I don't have any idea about RAM voltages by the way , its just for your own information ).
7.Finally , I have started testing each stick separately to see the speed and every stick was working below its rated speed , each one was working at 2670 Mhz :((. This is really disappointing ! I have made sure that the XMP is enabled . They were all working fine before the incident , the speed was 4400 Mhz :/ .

Note : My Bios version is the latest version . Now I don't know what to do to fix back my RAM speed and I have no Idea what is going on with my PC right now and the causing issues.
Till now the computer is working for 2 days without any BSOD crashes but at the cost of low memory speed .

Last edited:
Solution
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
This CPU supports memory speeds of UP TO 3200 MHz. With AMD, the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. Anything above those numbers implies overclocking which might be unstable, experimental, and not guaranteed...

Your memory should be completely fine, it is the controller not handling 30% overclock...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the make and model of your PSU? When reinstalling your OS, did you refabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You can check by going into BIOS and it should be mentioned on the lower or top right hand corner(s). Which two slots did you populate on the motherboard with the sticks of ram?

As for the X.M.P bit, manually input your voltage, timings and frequency in BIOS as stated on the stickered part of the sticks of ram or the ram kit's packaging.

Just for the sake of relevance, it's a good idea to state your BIOS version, considering there might've been a BIOS update while you were making this post(it happens on other builds/threads). You can try one more thing, disconnect the system from the wall, peripherals/devices and display, then remove CMOS battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes and then see if you can get your ram's capacity and frequency back to advertised specs.

Reactions: Adam John

Adam John

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
Thank you very much for your reply . My PSU version is Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 750 W . When I have installed my Windows using USB , I have done so using Rufus. My BIOS version is F13H. I will try the other steps later today. I have just two question regarding CMOS battery , You mean by replace CMOS is to get a new one or just reinsert it again ? The other question is when I reset the system using CMOS battery , The BIOS version will be reset automatically to the first version or this will not have anything related to the BIOS version ( sorry if my questions are stupid as this is my first time to deal with motherboards in general ) Thank you so much for your help and support.

Adam John

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the make and model of your PSU? When reinstalling your OS, did you refabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? You can check by going into BIOS and it should be mentioned on the lower or top right hand corner(s). Which two slots did you populate on the motherboard with the sticks of ram?

As for the X.M.P bit, manually input your voltage, timings and frequency in BIOS as stated on the stickered part of the sticks of ram or the ram kit's packaging.

Just for the sake of relevance, it's a good idea to state your BIOS version, considering there might've been a BIOS update while you were making this post(it happens on other builds/threads). You can try one more thing, disconnect the system from the wall, peripherals/devices and display, then remove CMOS battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes and then see if you can get your ram's capacity and frequency back to advertised specs.
The problem has been solved after removing the CMOS and reinserting it again after 1 min. Thank you very much. One last thing , the BIOS configuration is now reset to default, I have only enabled XMP and edited the data and time , do I have to check any other setting(s) ?

Adam John

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
Today I have faced again BSOD directly after startup :"KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ". The memory speed is fine. Now , I don't know what to do to find the cause of the problem .

Adam John

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
Again , I have encountered a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION BSOD right now after restarting again the PC . Similarly the BSOD has occurred exactly after startup ( when I logged into windows ) . Please let me know if you need any additional information to provide to fix this problem.

Last edited:

Adam John

Commendable
Jul 7, 2021
This CPU supports memory speeds of UP TO 3200 MHz. With AMD, the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. Anything above those numbers implies overclocking which might be unstable, experimental, and not guaranteed...

Your memory should be completely fine, it is the controller not handling 30% overclock...
You are totally right. That's why when I have disabled XMP ( and then the RAM frequency is set to 2666 Mhz ) the system works fine. Now I have set the RAM frequency to 3200 Mhz to get the best possible performance and everything is fine till now.