baron0608

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Ok, I am wondering what would be a better upgrade. Low Latency mem PC3200 (2X256) running in dual channel mode or 1 gig of PC3200 of value mem. I understand that low latency mem is faster than value ram speeds but is not better to double my mem? I have a P4 3.0 ghz not overclocked. I use my computer for gaming and video editing.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Low Latency Doesn't help that much with P4s. Dual Channel does help quite a bit though, but of course you'll need 2 sticks <i>and</i> a motherboard with a chipset that supports dual channel.

You'll probably get better performance from 1gb of cheaper high latency stuff than you would from 512Mb of LL expensive stuff, but it depends on the application. - e.g. modern games really like lots of RAM, so even though your RAM is quick it'll be constantly paging stuff to and from the HDD.

What mobo do you have?

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

RichPLS

Champion
Lower latency ram does help boot times and general quickness of programs response with P4's in dual channel.
To test it, play around with timings in bios, and time it.

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>