Memory Voltage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
If i can not change the voltage of my memory in Bios is it okay to get memory higher then 1.5 volts? And what are the advantages and disadvantages? Will say 1.65V memory run okay when i can't manually make the volts to 1.65? Or does the motherboard just do all this automatically or does it force the memory to run in 1.5?

Before answering your question, a caution is NOT to mix-match RAM if you already have RAM installed. It is BEST to purchase clone/xerox copy of the RAM currently installed; Speed, CAS, Voltage, and obviously Type.

If purchasing NEW RAM for a NEW build then only use RAM that is either Certified per MOBO or Tested per RAM Mfg {online configuration}.

In a general 'vanilla' ANS either will work IF your MOBO is rated for 1.65V. Most RAM has an operational Volatge range of ±0.3V.

Please clarify your thoughts and plans?

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
We talked about this 2 days ago jaquith. It's all good.
Just wondering if the motherboard Bios doesn't have an option to change voltage on ram what sets the ram voltage and what it defaults to.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

The manual sucks man D:

And i am 100% sure there is not a Dram Voltage setting. I can change the timings but not the Dram Voltage

I can only adjust these.

TLC
TRAS
TRP
TRCD
TWR
TRFC
TWTR
TRPD
TRTP
TFAW

Can somebody tell me exactly what each of these are?

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

I can't set the voltage though. But what do all those mean?

And when i set the TLC TRA TRP and TRCD these:

TWR
TRFC
TWTR
TRPD
TRTP
TFAW

Can't be set to auto and are given a value

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, thanks. Since i already changed this i will just set the Bios to default before i install my new memory.

Though when i did change them i did have less blue screens with my current memory. When i left those alone and just changed the timings of the first 4 to what it's supposed to be windows would crash more often. So i'm just gonna leave it alone. Getting new memory and returning my old ones so yeah, they're defective. When i do get my new ones though i'm gonna load my bios defaults and only fix the timings of the TLC, TRA, TRP and TRCP while leaving the others alone.

Without MemTest86+, I wouldn't be so sure your RAM was defective. You see, the published/advertised specs on your RAM should all be met, or left at [Auto]. A very big possibility for the BSOD encounters is voltage. You set your RAM timings, but you didn't set the voltage. If you're going to use one advertised spec, use them all simultaneously. I understand that you've been unlucky in finding the area in your BIOS where your DRAM Voltage can be adjusted, but it has to be there. If you're able to adjust timing, you'll be able to adjust voltage, as they go hand-in-hand.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

I never said i did not use MemTest86+. This thread isn't even about this. I've had enough threads about that and yes. I DO KNOW my memory is defective.

I'll double check again if i can adjust the DIMM voltage but i've looked man and it's not there D:

Ok, sorry for that. This time I used the link you provided, then clicked on "Support". Using the online FAQ, I searched and found this:

"To change the memory voltage on the P55 series, Change the setting that is found in the BIOS (DEL to enter setup on boot), under Frequency/Voltage Control -> DIMM Voltage."

Try that.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

IT IS NOT IN BIOS. THIS VERSION OF EVGA'S P55 USES A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BIOS AND IT DOES NOT HAVE EVERYTHING THE OTHERS HAVE.

THIS THREAD ISN'T EVEN ABOUT THIS.

THIS IS ABOUT WHAT THE MEMORY RUNS AT SINCE BIOS DOESN'T HAVE AN OPTION TO ADJUST VOLTAGES.

I looked at your {online} manual; pretty much useless.

If there's a section {Frequency/Voltage Control} part of the CMOS Setup Utility then you 'should' have control.

DIMM Voltage {Auto} -> {1.5v} ; if so you can change the values there.

Keep in mind 'most' RAM has an operational Voltage range of ±0.3v.

Please list ALL of your RAM part-number(s) and/or I prefer exact links.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009

I decided with these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=g.skill-_-20-231-303-_-Product

These are my old RAM that aren't working good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231317

And i'm sure i can't change the DIMM Voltage on this mobo.
I can change frequency but not voltage, weird no?

Status
Not open for further replies.