Jul 26, 2020
Hello guys!

I've been having problems with stuttering in games so decided to give memtest86 a try as I've heard good things about the program.

After 3 hours of testing I was given 3 errors in the form of this, 2 of which were the same and one was the pretty much the same but just a different number

Does anyone know what's wrong here? is it my CPU or is it the RAM?

" Test 7 Addr: 4B9AD0738 Expected: FFDFFFFF Actual: FFDEFFFF CPU: 6 "

The other error was CPU 5

All help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Hello guys!

I've been having problems with stuttering in games so decided to give memtest86 a try as I've heard good things about the program.

After 3 hours of testing I was given 3 errors in the form of this, 2 of which were the same and one was the pretty much the same but just a different number

Does anyone know what's wrong here? is it my CPU or is it the RAM?

" Test 7 Addr: 4B9AD0738 Expected: FFDFFFFF Actual: FFDEFFFF CPU: 6 "

The other error was CPU 5

All help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark

You may want to give more details, like your system spec so the guys can better help.
I have been battling similar issues and memtest failing is a sign of instability in your memory set up.
Are you overclocking your memory? Have you mixed memory modules (this is where I went wrong)
Is your memory speed rating supported by your Mobo/CPU?

The errors themselves are almost impossible to diagnose in isolation from what I have read but any error is bad news bears.
I had to reduce the speed and up the voltage to get any sort of stability but in the end decided to return the memory that I added.

Jul 26, 2020
You may want to give more details, like your system spec so the guys can better help.
I have been battling similar issues and memtest failing is a sign of instability in your memory set up.
Are you overclocking your memory? Have you mixed memory modules (this is where I went wrong)
Is your memory speed rating supported by your Mobo/CPU?

The errors themselves are almost impossible to diagnose in isolation from what I have read but any error is bad news bears.
I had to reduce the speed and up the voltage to get any sort of stability but in the end decided to return the memory that I added.
Hey,

Thanks for the reply

My Specs are

i7 7700K
GTX 1080
32GB CORSAIR VENGENCE RAM 3200MZ
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII MOBO
850W PSU CORSAIR
250GB SSD SAMSUNG EVO

I tested all 4 at once and got the error

I've just done 1 pass through of tests on all RAM sticks 1by1 with 0 errors.... so I'm extremely confused now.

I'm also using XMP mode, because when I don't use XMP mode my CPU hits temps of 90c +

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
To get an accurate test from memtest86, or should I say, more stable test, manufacturers would require you to reset the BIOS

This is easily done by powering down your pc and switching off your PSU and pressing the CMOS button at the back of your pc.

First save your BIOS settings before you reset the BIOS, otherwise you will spend hours on end trying to all the settings again

Jul 26, 2020
To get an accurate test from memtest86, or should I say, more stable test, manufacturers would require you to reset the BIOS

This is easily done by powering down your pc and switching off your PSU and pressing the CMOS button at the back of your pc.

First save your BIOS settings before you reset the BIOS, otherwise you will spend hours on end trying to all the settings again
Thanks for the reply!

My settings are all default in the BIOS apart from the CPU fan being on ignore otherwise it won't boot and the XMP mode being turned on, everything else is default.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Hey,

Thanks for the reply

My Specs are

i7 7700K
GTX 1080
32GB CORSAIR VENGENCE RAM 3200MZ
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII MOBO
850W PSU CORSAIR
250GB SSD SAMSUNG EVO

I tested all 4 at once and got the error

I've just done 1 pass through of tests on all RAM sticks 1by1 with 0 errors.... so I'm extremely confused now.

I'm also using XMP mode, because when I don't use XMP mode my CPU hits temps of 90c +

Have you tested them all together at default speed (turn XMP off).
If your CPU is hitting really high temps, I would suggest there may be an issue there separately. Not really sure how or why XMP being enabled should affect it like that.