[SOLVED] Merge unallocated space on my C drive (OS drive) with the existing OS partition.

Maracles

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I have just updated my m.2 operating system drive. Prior to installing the drive I created an image of the existing drive.

I have now installed the new larger drive and have Windows back up and running. The new drive however has kept exactly the same partitions as previous, and all the additional space on the new drive is simply left as 'unallocated', which I did not think about.

How can I merge the allocated space with my C: partition?

My partitions currently look as follows:

650MB - EFI System Partition
220 GB - NTFS (Boot, Crash Dump, Basic Data Partition)
807 MB - Recovery Partition
15 GB - Recovery Partition
1 GB - Recovery Partition
693 GB - Unallocated

I want to merge the 220GB partition with the Unallocated.

Can anyone advise?

When I right click unallocated I get the following options:

New Simple Volume

When I right Click the C partition I get

Shrink Voume
Change Drive Letter

Solution
In Macrium, was this a clone or an Image?
What was the original drive? 250GB something?

You can't merge that empty space in Disk Management.

Can you do that clone/restore again?
Macrium Reflect give the functionality to manipulate the size of the resulting partitions on the target drive, before you click the Go button.

USAFRet

Titan
In Macrium, was this a clone or an Image?
What was the original drive? 250GB something?

You can't merge that empty space in Disk Management.

Can you do that clone/restore again?
Macrium Reflect give the functionality to manipulate the size of the resulting partitions on the target drive, before you click the Go button.

Solution

Maracles

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Ah, ok - it was my first time using it and I missed out on that -thanks for pointing it out. And yes, the previous drive was 250GB.

Doing it again would be quite difficult, if I didn't want to do that are there any performance hits from having the extra space set up as an additional simple volume? I'm obviously using this drive for all my software installs to reap the benefits of the fast Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, ok - it was my first time using it and I missed out on that -thanks for pointing it out. And yes, the previous drive was 250GB.

Doing it again would be quite difficult, if I didn't want to do that are there any performance hits from having the extra space set up as an additional simple volume? I'm obviously using this drive for all my software installs to reap the benefits of the fast Samsung 970 Evo Plus.
The main problem would be only having that 220GB space as the C drive.
How full is it currently?

Maracles

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I guess I've learned the hard way. Useful information for the future.

The old drive was getting very full, I'd uninstalled some stuff to make the image smaller but it was about 200GB full previously.

If I went down a clean install route there would be no problem there, correct?

USAFRet

Titan
I guess I've learned the hard way. Useful information for the future.

The old drive was getting very full, I'd uninstalled some stuff to make the image smaller but it was about 200GB full previously.

If I went down a clean install route there would be no problem there, correct?
200GB consumed in a 220GB C partition doesn't leave a lot of space to work with. That 20GB will rapidly disappear.

Absolutely NO problem with a clean install on the new drive.