[SOLVED] Mesh networking (out of the box) questions

Kruck

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Hi all-

a few years ago, after having way too many problems trying to extend my wifi, I ended up buying 2 Ubiquiti APs, and have been generally happy (except for issues related to playing media over chromecast, but that's a different issue for a different day).

I still had to put one repeater to get signal up our driveway, and in a perfect world I'd add another repeater or two to get out to our barn. We don't need a lot of of bandwidth (enough to run a few Wyze cams), and my easiest solution may be just to buy a few more cheap repeaters. However.... I've been seeing ads for some of the newer mesh networking systems, and had a question about them.

In my mind, a mesh network means that I can place the base station, and pretty much place the repeaters in any configuration. It isn't just the base in the middle and repeater on either side (R-B-R) to extend "one jump", but technically I should be able to add repeaters in a row (B-R-R and add more if desired [B-R-R-R-R]), if I'm willing to accept worse signal the more repeaters in the mesh.

Is that actually the case with all the products being marketed as mesh, and if not, how do I tell which are truly mesh-capable?

Thanks!

Solution
Thank you for your reply. I'll do some research on the outdoor AP, if it can serve as a repeater. Barn is over 600 feet from the house, so I'm not excited about trenching cable
600 ft, you need a point-to-point with dedicated directional hardware. A pair of ubiquiti locoAC setup in point-to-point.
Conventional WIFI won't support 600ft. 100ft probably.
At 600ft, you could trench coax (only requires a vibratory plow trencher. Then use a pair of ethernet over coax adapters.
OR bury fiber.

You only need 6-12 inch burial depth for data cables.

Kruck

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Thank you for your reply. I'll do some research on the outdoor AP, if it can serve as a repeater. Barn is over 600 feet from the house, so I'm not excited about trenching cable

kanewolf

Titan
600 ft, you need a point-to-point with dedicated directional hardware. A pair of ubiquiti locoAC setup in point-to-point.
Conventional WIFI won't support 600ft. 100ft probably.
At 600ft, you could trench coax (only requires a vibratory plow trencher. Then use a pair of ethernet over coax adapters.
OR bury fiber.

You only need 6-12 inch burial depth for data cables.

Solution