Dec 30, 2020
Hi, I have a Netgear Nighthawk Mesh Wifi system set up. The new router (MR60) is connected to the old Modem/router via ethernet (I have turned off all wireless function of this old router/modem). I intend to run ethernet cables for other devices in my house, should I connect them up to the old modem/router combo that the MR60 gets internet from? or all into the MR60? Will it make a difference?

Solution
That is a strange device that only has 2 ports. It still is a router from what I read.

Why do you want to hook things directly to the "modem".

If you do that you are going to end up with 2 different networks. One on the wan side of the netgear and one on the lan side. Both can access the internet but are limited in reaching each other.

If you were to actually put the so called "modem" into true modem/bridge mode then you can't use both lan ports. The ISP only gives you a single IP and you need that given to the wan port of your netgear.

It all comes down to why do you want to do this. If you need to hook to the modem/router directly I would put your netgear into bridge/ap mode so all your devices are on the same...
Is the MR60 running as a router or as a bridge. It also depends on if you are running the old modem/router as just a modem or if you just turned off the wifi and are still running it as a router.

If both devices are running as routers you could have issue with things like file sharing if you connect to both routers. The internet will work fine but the devices you connect to the old router will not be able to access the device connected to the new router because of the NAT.

Your long term solution should be to only have 1 router. You either need to run the modem/router as only a modem and use the mr60 as the router or set the mr60 into bridge mode and use it as a AP. This is a different issue from where you plug stuff in but it will solve that also. When you have 2 router you can have trouble with some things like game consoles and other stuff that needs to use UPnP.

Reactions: TheProcrastinator27
Dec 30, 2020
Is the MR60 running as a router or as a bridge. It also depends on if you are running the old modem/router as just a modem or if you just turned off the wifi and are still running it as a router.

If both devices are running as routers you could have issue with things like file sharing if you connect to both routers. The internet will work fine but the devices you connect to the old router will not be able to access the device connected to the new router because of the NAT.

Your long term solution should be to only have 1 router. You either need to run the modem/router as only a modem and use the mr60 as the router or set the mr60 into bridge mode and use it as a AP. This is a different issue from where you plug stuff in but it will solve that also. When you have 2 router you can have trouble with some things like game consoles and other stuff that needs to use UPnP.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I have decided to get a separate modem (HG612 3B) to work with this new MR60 router - this modem has two RJ45 ports. Is it ok to connect one of these ports up to the main network switch or should that be coming from the MR60 router (after it has had its WAN port connected to the modem)?

That is a strange device that only has 2 ports. It still is a router from what I read.

Why do you want to hook things directly to the "modem".

If you do that you are going to end up with 2 different networks. One on the wan side of the netgear and one on the lan side. Both can access the internet but are limited in reaching each other.

If you were to actually put the so called "modem" into true modem/bridge mode then you can't use both lan ports. The ISP only gives you a single IP and you need that given to the wan port of your netgear.

It all comes down to why do you want to do this. If you need to hook to the modem/router directly I would put your netgear into bridge/ap mode so all your devices are on the same network.

Solution