Aug 26, 2020
Hey guys!

I recently helped build a rig for my buddy with all the parts he wanted. I advised against running the corsair QL 140s as radiator fans on the kraken x63 but he insisted. Current setup is as follows:

Back: QL120 Exhaust
Top: 2 QL120 Exhaust
Front: 2 QL140 Intake (right side of radiator, against case front.)
PSU intaking from below

No matter how I set the fan configs the EVGA 2080 Super XC is hot. 45 at idle and 75-85 under load with GPU fans running 90-100% which can’t be right.

I’ve tried running the push rad fans at 100%, turning off the top exhaust nearest the radiator, and combinations of this to no avail. Taking the side glass off gives me about 3-5c.

My only other ideas are to flip one top exhaust (nearest the front rad) to intake but I know this is not ideal. O try to squeeze in pull fans for a push/pull rad configuration. Or maybe the GPU thermal paste is needs to be redone? Never done this, so any insight would be nice.

Besides that, the 3600x runs cooler than ever. If you guys have any thoughts or ideas please let me know. Pic attached for context.

https://postimg.cc/HcKtNxQc

Solution
That image is DARK...
1)Well, you DID warn them about replacing radiator fans with chassis airflow fans... They'll just have to take the needle on that one.
If they want to replace the radiator fans, at the very least, they should be done with fans of similar or greater specs, to be safe. The radiator itself DOES restrict airflow, and no bloody QL fan is meant to push air through that.
Aer P140(Kraken's stock fan)
98.1CFM
2.71mmH2O
38dBA

QL140
50.2CFM
1.40mmH2O
26dBA

You seem to know what you're doing - I shouldn't have to point out the difference in raw power between those fans.

2)It's a bit early to go and blame thermal paste. That's good for a few years or more.

3)Now that I think about it a bit more...
[No matter how I set the...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That image is DARK...
1)Well, you DID warn them about replacing radiator fans with chassis airflow fans... They'll just have to take the needle on that one.
If they want to replace the radiator fans, at the very least, they should be done with fans of similar or greater specs, to be safe. The radiator itself DOES restrict airflow, and no bloody QL fan is meant to push air through that.
98.1CFM
2.71mmH2O
38dBA

QL140
50.2CFM
1.40mmH2O
26dBA

You seem to know what you're doing - I shouldn't have to point out the difference in raw power between those fans.

2)It's a bit early to go and blame thermal paste. That's good for a few years or more.

[No matter how I set the fan configs the EVGA 2080 Super XC is hot. 45 at idle and 75-85 under load with GPU fans running 90-100% which can’t be right.]
Turing is hot. 80C is normal with such a card. The GDDR6 memory is adding to those higher operating thermals.

[I’ve tried running the push rad fans at 100%, turning off the top exhaust nearest the radiator, and combinations of this to no avail. Taking the side glass off gives me about 3-5c.]
Should be done with top front and side panels off for best accuracy, mate. 3-5C is a good result, but since you didn't do this correctly...
If you do it again and find an even greater thermal discrepancy, that's going to point to an airflow issue... *looks at QL140 fans
If there is no real change, then the issue likely lies in the gpu's cooler itself.

Reactions: apexbeats
Solution
Aug 26, 2020
That image is DARK...
98.1CFM
2.71mmH2O
38dBA

QL140
50.2CFM
1.40mmH2O
26dBA

[No matter how I set the fan configs the EVGA 2080 Super XC is hot. 45 at idle and 75-85 under load with GPU fans running 90-100% which can’t be right.]
Turing is hot. 80C is normal with such a card. The GDDR6 memory is adding to those higher operating thermals.

[I’ve tried running the push rad fans at 100%, turning off the top exhaust nearest the radiator, and combinations of this to no avail. Taking the side glass off gives me about 3-5c.]
Should be done with top front and side panels off for best accuracy, mate. 3-5C is a good result, but since you didn't do this correctly...
If you do it again and find an even greater thermal discrepancy, that's going to point to an airflow issue... *looks at QL140 fans
If there is no real change, then the issue likely lies in the gpu's cooler itself.

Just popped the case open and I could fit one of the krakens AER fans on the top of the radiator on the inside of the case(graphics card side). So the 2 QL’s on the outside of the radiator (front of case side) and one Aer on the other side. Would that help?