Michael Dell: We're Not a PC Company Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
"Post PC" I don't know. Logically speaking, everyone will always want a PC that is at home. Something they can sit down, have a coffee and use at the home office for work, or just for gaming. Holding a tablet or using a small laptop will not satisfy.

Desktop PC's will not be leaving any time soon, until we come up with a viable replacement and so far, tablets (I have 2, Android and Ipad 2) are just good for here and there.

Computers will always ber personal. Thanks to Shockley, IBM Engineers, Jobs, Gates, Linus, and the Many who defined the computer in the 20th century. The computer will always be here, always personal.
Desktops will become servers to operate our houses, keep our data for our laptops, smartphones, and tablets.

I cannot see a Post-PC era...unless the successor to the computer itself comes around.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Computers will always ber personal. Thanks to Shockley, IBM Engineers, Jobs, Gates, Linus, and the Many who defined the computer in the 20th century. The computer will always be here, always personal.Desktops will become servers to operate our houses, keep our data for our laptops, smartphones, and tablets. I cannot see a Post-PC era...unless the successor to the computer itself comes around.[/citation]
Always? I doubt that in 200 years people will be using PCs in the ways you describe if they're still using them at all.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
PCs are NOT going anywhere, these nuts who keep saying that are not real computer users. Any professional needs a good chair and desk to do their work. You also need a good keyboard to type on, there's no alternative to the keyboard. A professional also needs a large display for video editing/programming/retouching/graphics/trading/etc etc etc. So that leaves us with what is powering these things? Well, a computer of some sort....maybe we plug into a tablet or whatever, but the monitor/desk/chair is going no where.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]PCs are NOT going anywhere, these nuts who keep saying that are not real computer users. Any professional needs a good chair and desk to do their work. You also need a good keyboard to type on, there's no alternative to the keyboard. A professional also needs a large display for video editing/programming/retouching/graphics/trading/etc etc etc. So that leaves us with what is powering these things? Well, a computer of some sort....maybe we plug into a tablet or whatever, but the monitor/desk/chair is going no where.[/citation]
i disagree. A nice hologram would work fine. ...in 100 years I doubt anyone will be using a keyboard.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]i disagree. A nice hologram would work fine. ...in 100 years I doubt anyone will be using a keyboard.[/citation]

You watch too much scifi channel. Just because t.v producers think that the future is holograms, does not make it true. They have keyboards similar to a hologram already and they are not that good. You don't get the feel of a regular keyboard and it makes mistakes often. They keyboard will stay, but in 100 years will be alot more advanced.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Thanks for letting me know, Mr. Dell, I almost placed an online order for a new laptop with your company! Thank goodness you let me know, so that I can go find an actual PC Company with which to do business.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
dell just wants to steer away from making kmart pc computers only. they like the cloud, huge power system clusters. good for them. this in no way makes a real modifiable pc extinct. douchebags have been stating that since the mid to late 80s. 30 years strong...

wesleywatson

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Obviously the response on this site is going to be biased, because we're power users who build our own desktops. But most people are not buying desktops anymore, they're buying laptops and even tablets. This is pretty obvious if you look at any sales data, commercials, or real life people. It seems like people are getting all uppity at the mention of the 'post-pc' era, as if they're going to have their desktops forcibly taken from them. Desktops simply aren't hot anymore and aren't selling like they used to. People are focusing on mobility, that's where all the money to be made is.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
wesleywatson nailed it.

I don't like the way things are going but I can't deny this is the reality today. most people aren't making intensive PC file-management, docuement-controlling, data-analyzing tasks. They won't feel the inefficiency while working e-mails on outlook from a tablet on a recliner chair.

More importantly, the owners, entrepenuers, managers .... etc who are making the big money and the decisions will almost never be doing any intensive PC task. Or they'll have secretaries or underlings to prepare their stuff. That's grunt work, even if the worker is called an engineer. So the moronic bigwigs will force a new unproductive Windows/Office upgrade on the power-users right on MSFT's schedule. They'll waste money forcing widescreens or tablets onto the workers. The workers will find their tasks more tedious but have no choice but to continue. Right now my office rig is running a recently installed win7 with filesearchEx, FreefileSync, ClasicShell, 7zip ... etc.

G

Well I think people are looking for a do all piece of hardware that replaces the PC. So far the tablet and smart phone have only partially filled that want. The real problem for the PC makers is that their is not a segment of the World looking to expand into PC's. Just as China is now buying more automobiles for the first time which is creating a huge growth for auto makers. The PC industry is now going from a expansion phase to a replacement phase. Tablets have huge growth to some extent because they are new and are growing a market.Eventually the tablet market too will slow. People are not ditching their PC's, they are simply adding tablets and smartphones and replacing their PC's when they need to.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]i disagree. A nice hologram would work fine. ...in 100 years I doubt anyone will be using a keyboard.[/citation]
while I do plan to live for another 100 years I'm sure something will stop me.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
A PC is a bad fit for a majority of people. Let's face it they are far too limited to use or maintain one effectively. Let them use dumbed down devices to send IMs and check the social sites. It's best to leave the PCs and a good portion of the internet to people who can use them without spreading increasing amounts or malware and Spam.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I don't think that PCs will 'disappear', but may change their overall 'look and feel'.

Basically I'd call a 'PC' anything that is an 'open system' where the user has the freedom to customize/upgrade hardware, OS and software at will giving a lot of flexibility.

maqsabre

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
by the time all tablets and portable devices become powerful, desktops will be far ahead of the pack,
of course desktop is the ultimate platform for anything anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.