Question Micro stuttering in every game.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
Hello,
Tried many things to fix this is issue, but i keep getting lots of stuttering in all games, even in gta sa.
My pc specs:

MB: ASUS PRIME A320m-r
CPU: RYZEN 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1650 4gb
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (should be 3000mhz)
PSU: XILENCE 500W

go into device manager -> system devices -> rightclick on "High precision event timer" and click disable.

open CMD as admin. type in these following commands.

bcdedit /set useplatformclock No --> (forces HPET off, known for causing input lag and DPC latency + stutters)
bcdedit /set useplatformtick Yes --> (this is the command that allows you to get an even timer of 0.5 with a tool named ISLC, giving you a smooth imagine and removing input lag and stuttering)
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes --> (disables a power saving feauture from the OS making your mouse snappier and more responsive,also helps you stuttering)

Download ISLC from here (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3241&sid=b3ca7664cf7d2192d5b5ff135b7f519f#p3241 ) and set the custom resolution to 0.05, it should be 0.5ms (the lowest you can get)

RESTART PC. test your games after. if you still have problems reply here

Nice! Can you give some context? Interested to know. What this does, how does it help.

Feb 9, 2020
Nice! Can you give some context? Interested to know. What this does, how does it help.
you can google each off the commands and why HPET should be disabled if you really want to. But i'd suggest just doing them and save yourself time and a headache it will be better trust me, imo every system should have HPET disabled by default and a 0.5ms timer for the lowest input possibile and smoothest image. i did this to all my friends PCs and they thanked me for it, try it, you're missing out. it can't do you worse :)

Last edited:

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
go into device manager -> system devices -> rightclick on "High precision event timer" and click disable.

open CMD as admin. type in these following commands.

bcdedit /set useplatformclock No --> (forces HPET off, known for causing input lag and DPC latency + stutters)
bcdedit /set useplatformtick Yes --> (this is the command that allows you to get an even timer of 0.5 with a tool named ISLC, giving you a smooth imagine and removing input lag and stuttering)
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes --> (disables a power saving feauture from the OS making your mouse snappier and more responsive,also helps you stuttering)

Download ISLC from here (https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3241&sid=b3ca7664cf7d2192d5b5ff135b7f519f#p3241 ) and set the custom resolution to 0.05, it should be 0.5ms (the lowest you can get)

RESTART PC. test your games after. if you still have problems reply here

Did everything u wrote here. Nothing changed.

Hey there,

Hmmmm. I'm not sure what to say here. Firstly, there is no need to bump posts, or make duplicates about the same issue. I've looked at your other thread, and the advise given is sound on all accounts. Some of which you have chosen not to hear. Example being, that you have mismatched two sets of dimms. This is most likely the issue, specially given memtest86+ has thrown up errors and OCCT too. Regardless of whether or not DOCP was set, because there was errors with those apps (one inside the windows environment, and one outside) really shows that it's highly likely it's a ram issue.

To get to the point, and a solution, I'd suggest purchasing a 2 x 8 matched kit of ram, and selling what you have to offset the cost of the replacement.

Check your mobo QVL for compatible 2x8gb matched kits that will work.

One thing, that I've either missed, or has not been suggested yet, is updating your Bios to the latest version. Early A320/B350 AMD mobo's are/were very finicky with ram. Having your Bios up to date, and a cleared CMOS, may actually resolve your issue. The newest Bios will bring better memory compatibility.

If the bios update doesn't fix it, then get some matched DIMMS from the QVL for your mobo.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Bios updated.
I've tried not using the second ram stick, still getting stutters.
Changed my second ramstcik, set ram speed too 2866 mhz and got 0 errors in both OCCT and memtest86.

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
Hey there,

Hmmmm. I'm not sure what to say here. Firstly, there is no need to bump posts, or make duplicates about the same issue. I've looked at your other thread, and the advise given is sound on all accounts. Some of which you have chosen not to hear. Example being, that you have mismatched two sets of dimms. This is most likely the issue, specially given memtest86+ has thrown up errors and OCCT too. Regardless of whether or not DOCP was set, because there was errors with those apps (one inside the windows environment, and one outside) really shows that it's highly likely it's a ram issue.

To get to the point, and a solution, I'd suggest purchasing a 2 x 8 matched kit of ram, and selling what you have to offset the cost of the replacement.

Check your mobo QVL for compatible 2x8gb matched kits that will work.

One thing, that I've either missed, or has not been suggested yet, is updating your Bios to the latest version. Early A320/B350 AMD mobo's are/were very finicky with ram. Having your Bios up to date, and a cleared CMOS, may actually resolve your issue. The newest Bios will bring better memory compatibility.

If the bios update doesn't fix it, then get some matched DIMMS from the QVL for your mobo.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Warranty changed my rams to matching ones, now its G-skill 3000 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1463MHz (16-18-18-38) DOCP profile 1, ran memtest with DOCP enabled with matching rams DOCP profile works fine and i get 0 erros, but the stuttering continues, event gta sa stutters..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Warranty changed my rams to matching ones, now its G-skill 3000 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1463MHz (16-18-18-38) DOCP profile 1, ran memtest with DOCP enabled with matching rams DOCP profile works fine and i get 0 erros, but the stuttering continues, event gta sa stutters..
That is a known issue with Rockstar's RAGE engine that they never bothered to fix. It does that when you exceed a certain framerate.
You have to set a lower cap.

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
Nothing in particular stands out, save for the SSD.
You are using a SATA 3 cable and not a SATA 2, right?
The firmware for the drive is up to date?
Yes, i saw the red message and double checked it all, also the driver is up to date, idk what else to do, ssd health is good, it cant be it..

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
The only other thing I can think of is there's something driver or software related that has been overlooked that is causing the current hiccups; your hardware appears to be running fine.
Can sound drivers be related to this? before i thought its because of 2 sound drivers - realtek and nvidia, so i uninstalled nvidia audio driver but nothing changet at all..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you certainly don't need BOTH of them. You can either:
-keep the realtek, run DDU, install the driver again, but in the window with the check boxes, leave the Nvidia audio driver unchecked and it won't be installed
-disable the realtek through Device Manager and keep the Nvidia one. Make sure the Nvidia device is the default by right-clicking on Speakers in the taskbar, selecting Troubleshoot Sound Problems, select the Nvidia device, skip Audio Enhancements, and you should then get an option to select the default.

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
Well, you certainly don't need BOTH of them. You can either:
-keep the realtek, run DDU, install the driver again, but in the window with the check boxes, leave the Nvidia audio driver unchecked and it won't be installed
-disable the realtek through Device Manager and keep the Nvidia one. Make sure the Nvidia device is the default by right-clicking on Speakers in the taskbar, selecting Troubleshoot Sound Problems, select the Nvidia device, skip Audio Enhancements, and you should then get an option to select the default.
I've used DDU to uninstall gpu and audio drivers in safe mode, reinstalled nvidia driver kept nvidia audio, but when i disable realtek driver i have no option anywhere to switch it to nvidia, even tho i have both of them installed.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've used DDU to uninstall gpu and audio drivers in safe mode, reinstalled nvidia driver kept nvidia audio, but when i disable realtek driver i have no option anywhere to switch it to nvidia, even tho i have both of them installed.
Hah!
You were one step ahead on that one. You already removed both audio drivers with DDU, that's why it's not there. It would've been if you hadn't.

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hi mate,

I also having similar problem like you that is stuttering in games. I made separate thread below that I am hoping to get help on:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-apply-fixed-multiplier-for-the-cpu-frequency.3579655/

Haven't tried those YouTube vids yet.

There could be a million reasons to cause stutter that can come under hardware or software problem. I am hoping with our threads we can narrow it down to the top 5 common known reasons for stuttering that can help millions of pc gamers out there suffering from stuttering problems. Especially PC gamers that spent $1000's on their new build where stuttering can be embarrassing and where console gamers make fun of pc gamers cause consoles do not stutter on slower HDD's.

Reactions: cp3123

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
[Just a recap]
It's an upgraded prebuilt.
Windows has already been reinstalled.
Not running multi-monitor.
There was a small hassle with the memory - it seems to be ok now.
Tried disabling HPET.
Updated bios and drivers.
[End recap]
All that, and no dice. Hmm...

1)Were you stuttering BEFORE upgrading the prebuilt?
2)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled?
3)What is the model number of the monitor? What kind of cable is connected from the monitor to the gpu?
4)V-sync is disabled in Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings?
5)What is your case - or do you know of the lookalike? Many prebuilt cases are just rebadged from other vendors.

cp3123

Prominent
Feb 15, 2020
[Just a recap]
It's an upgraded prebuilt.
Windows has already been reinstalled.
Not running multi-monitor.
There was a small hassle with the memory - it seems to be ok now.
Tried disabling HPET.
Updated bios and drivers.
[End recap]
All that, and no dice. Hmm...

1)Were you stuttering BEFORE upgrading the prebuilt?
2)Windows Game Bar and Game Mode are disabled?
3)What is the model number of the monitor? What kind of cable is connected from the monitor to the gpu?
4)V-sync is disabled in Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings?
5)What is your case - or do you know of the lookalike? Many prebuilt cases are just rebadged from other vendors.

1 - it did, thats why i added extra ram, new psu and new cpu cooler, a MOBO from gigabyte to asus same model.
2 - yes.
3 - Its Philips 236VL (1920x1080@60Hz) DVI cabel. (old monitor).
4 - Disabled.
5 - Deepcool Matrexx 30.

Mar 17, 2020
Have you found solution? If you're having same issue as I did. changing these settings helps.

Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings
OpenGL rendering GPU> GeForce GTX
Power management mode>prefer max performance
Thread optimization>off
Triple buffering>on
Vertical sync>on

Configure surround/ PhysX
PhysX settings>GeForce GTX

Check task manager if your CPU are being use more than GPU while running games, if so you want your games to run on your SDD, the GPU. What I did was

Type in Graphic settings on your windows, open it up, go into Browse, add all the games you play, once you add them click on them and go into options click high performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.