[SOLVED] Micro stuttering on desktop PC

facusml16

Prominent
Apr 1, 2018
I get micro stutterings when I'm just on the desktop, no games opened, however, when playing osu for example, I don't get any stuttering at all, and for csgo, altho I do get them from time to time, it's much less frequent than on desktop, why is that?
I have an rx 560 paired with an i3-6100 +8GB of DDR4 and I'm using an acer xf250q (240hz) monitor with freesync enabled.
Just saying it, but what I mean for stuttering is when the cursor suddenly breaks/freezes suddenly for some miliseconds, for example, which happens every few seconds on desktop.
This only started to happen after I upgraded to this monitor afaik (which was yesterday).

Solution
It seems odd that this behavior started after a monitor change. Do you have the old monitor to switch back and see if the problem goes away?

500GB SSDs are $50-70. Do this, it's a night and day upgrade.

The cleanest way to go from HDD to SSD is to save all your data (documents, music, videos, save games, browser favorites (if stored locally), etc etc to an external hard drive or cloud service (hopefully you're already doing this as part of your backup plan) . Then download Windows 10 from Microsoft (free) to a flash drive, remove the HDD, install the SSD, install windows on the SSD (5 minutes), download your programs/games/etc, transfer your data back on. Done. Usually a 4 hour process for me.
This sounds like background processes stuffing up things.
  • Does this only happen for the first ____ minutes after startup?
  • Do you have a lot of other programs (even Chrome) open?
  • Is your RAM a single 8GB stick, or 2x4GB? (if 2x4GB, are you sure they're in the correct slots to be running in dual channel mode?)
  • Do you have a SSD or HDD?
  • Is the monitor connected to the GPU via DisplayPort cable?

facusml16

Prominent
Apr 1, 2018
This sounds like background processes stuffing up things.
  • Does this only happen for the first ____ minutes after startup?
  • Do you have a lot of other programs (even Chrome) open?
  • Is your RAM a single 8GB stick, or 2x4GB? (if 2x4GB, are you sure they're in the correct slots to be running in dual channel mode?)
  • Do you have a SSD or HDD?
  • Is the monitor connected to the GPU via DisplayPort cable?
  1. I'm not sure if it's for the first minutes after startup, cuz sometimes (I've had this monitor for 2 days so far so I can't say things for sure) but yesterday -I BELIEVE- I didn't get that much stuttering later on (like a few hours, I wasn't counting, since I spent most of the time in-game and not on desktop, but at least I didn't get any stuttering in csgo after a while), but I can't say for sure.
  2. I don't use Chrome, only Firefox, and sometimes I leave it open while playing osu, I close it most of the time when in csgo just in case, but that doesn't matter since the micro stuttering even happens after starting up without programs running in the background. I mostly run discord, my tablet drivers, mouse drivers and some intel assistants which I don't even know why I still have installed but ya, not much.
  3. Dual channel, and it's correctly configured since... Well, my mobo only has 2 ram slots, no way I could have messed up on something like this.
  4. I have a 7200RPM 320GB HDD with 20.1GBs available, do you think that could be one of the reasons? I'm planning on upgrading later on anyway to an SSD but mostly cuz I don't know how the process of transferring all the data (including OS) from the HDD to SSD works I've been holding up.
  5. Yes, it is.

It seems odd that this behavior started after a monitor change. Do you have the old monitor to switch back and see if the problem goes away?

The cleanest way to go from HDD to SSD is to save all your data (documents, music, videos, save games, browser favorites (if stored locally), etc etc to an external hard drive or cloud service (hopefully you're already doing this as part of your backup plan) . Then download Windows 10 from Microsoft (free) to a flash drive, remove the HDD, install the SSD, install windows on the SSD (5 minutes), download your programs/games/etc, transfer your data back on. Done. Usually a 4 hour process for me.

Solution

facusml16

Prominent
Apr 1, 2018

I do have my old monitor, but it was a 60hz one so Idk if I'll notice the change given how choppy 60hz feels now and I may just think of the stuttering as part of the refresh rate.
And yes, I'll have to upgrade to a SSD soon, I have no doubts of that, I'll start saving most of my important info into cloud services and do a clean install of w10 later on, since most of my heavy files come from just games in Steam.