News Micron Breaks Ground On $15 Billion Idaho Memory Chip Fab

One has to wonder. With so many governments around the world incentivizing domestic fabs. What are we going to do with all these chips?

I don't know how many budgets went through around the world. But it seemed like over the last year or two. Every wealthy country is investing high double digits in billions for domestic production. Which seems like that would result in production capacity of a scale exponentially greater than anything we've ever had.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I think they need to build all of these "state of the art" Fabs. Many industries are using old chip fabs, (and many only need those) but many industries are going to need much more powerful chips. Look at Cars, before the chips were needed for Sensors and Data. Even older chips easily handled that kind of application. Now with all of the "Self Driving" features, they need very powerful chips for the AI.
I do agree that there is the potential for Over Production, but I think it is unlikely.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
One has to wonder. With so many governments around the world incentivizing domestic fabs. What are we going to do with all these chips?

I don't know how many budgets went through around the world. But it seemed like over the last year or two. Every wealthy country is investing high double digits in billions for domestic production. Which seems like that would result in production capacity of a scale exponentially greater than anything we've ever had.
Or they are planning for potential geopolitical supply chain issues.

Free trade is good.

Reactions: daworstplaya

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008

What? No, we really don't have to wonder that. We are going to build things with them. Nearly everything we make uses memory chips in one form or another.

Reactions: daworstplaya