Question Microphone in ATH-M20xBT headphones doesn't work as expected ?

Feb 8, 2023
Hi,
I recently bought Audio-Technica ATH-M20xBT headphones. The first time I paired them to my computer the sound quality was tragic. I did some research on the internet and found out that my headphones work in "hands-free phone" mode (I'm using Windows 10 home). After disabling this option, the sound quality improved considerably, but the microphone from the headphones was no longer detected in the system. My question is, is there anything I can do to get the microphone back in detection/function and to stop the headphones from working in speakerphone mode?

Ralston18

Titan
Do the headphones and microphone work as expected on another known working (no audio problems/sound quality as expected) computer?

Or even some other audio device?

= = = =

Right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner. A multi-item menu will appear.

Start with the troubleshooters and, if necessary, work through all of the other menu choices.

Each choice leads to any number of windows, tabs, properties, and configuration settings. Explore first, keep notes.

Objective being to identify some possible mismatch. Make changes as warranted but make only one change at a time allowing time between changes.

Be sure to also note what you changed: where, original setting, new setting.

Another possibility is the TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) physical connectivity. The headphones may be a mismatch.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Key is to narrow down the possible culprits.