Microphone really quiet.

When I do voice recording or anything I have to yell in order for it to pick
up the slightest sound. I have gone to my control panel and turned up the mic
gain to full and it's still nearly silent.

I'm running on Windows XP, Asus P5AD2 Premium.

I had it working a week ago, but I had to reinstall the OS, now it doesn't
work, can anyone help?

I believe there are two different types of microphones. Ensure you are
using the correct type with your soundcard input.

www.google.com for more info.

r.

"pujuman" <pujuman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I do voice recording or anything I have to yell in order for it to
> pick
> up the slightest sound. I have gone to my control panel and turned up the
> mic
> gain to full and it's still nearly silent.
>
> I'm running on Windows XP, Asus P5AD2 Premium.
>
> I had it working a week ago, but I had to reinstall the OS, now it doesn't
> work, can anyone help?

I'm using a logitec headset, and, like I said, it was working a week ago. I
tried plugging in a generic Dell microphone, and it did the same thing. I'll
try Google, but I'm not sure if it will help, maybe I should call someone?

"namniar" wrote:

> I believe there are two different types of microphones. Ensure you are
> using the correct type with your soundcard input.
>
> www.google.com for more info.
>
> r.
>

> "pujuman" <pujuman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I do voice recording or anything I have to yell in order for it to
> > pick
> > up the slightest sound. I have gone to my control panel and turned up the
> > mic
> > gain to full and it's still nearly silent.
> >
> > I'm running on Windows XP, Asus P5AD2 Premium.
> >
> > I had it working a week ago, but I had to reinstall the OS, now it doesn't
> > work, can anyone help?

When you reinstalled the O/S did you install the drivers for the soundcard
(onboard or pci/external)?

I have never actually use a microphone or headset, but.... In "Sounds and
Audio Devices Properties" in the Audio tab select Volume in the Sound
Recording box. Try putting a check mark in the Select box under microphone
and set the volume 1.2 way. Last ditch effort FWIW.