Microphone won't set to default

sean1234567

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
Just got a Blue Snowball. I currently use an Astro Headset for audio output and the microphone on the headset is broken, so I would like to set the Blue Snowball as the default. However, whenever I go into the control panel, it shows the Astro Headset Mic as the default recording device. I tried disabling it and making the Snowball the default device, but it does not work. I'm able to click it but the Astro stays as the default device. I also checked other things such as my AMD Radeon sound manager but it didn't even show up.

I've tried unplugging and replugging in both devices, to no avail. It also seems like the Snowball isn't picking up audio at all, but it is recognized as a recording device. I've also tried all USB ports on my desktop, and nothing changed between them.

It also seems to not be picking up sound at all. I unplugged my Astro Headset and I still cannot set it as the default device.

My audio drivers are: AMD High Definition Audio Device and Realtek High Definition Audio. My OS is Windows 7.

Any chance you are using Astro software that could be highjacking the microphone ? Uninstall any astro "command center", etc. and see if the problem goes away.

Running the Windows Set up microphone tool
Here's how to run the Windows Set up microphone tool:

Open Windows Control Panel, and tap or click Speech Recognition.
Select Set up your microphone.
Choose the type of microphone you are using. Choose Other if you are using the standard built-in microphone on your device and tap or click Next.
Read the text in the Set Up Your Microphone screen. It mentions the following important points about dictating to your device:
Position yourself at a constant distance from your microphone when you speak to your computer.
Position yourself so that you do not breathe directly into the microphone.
Tap or click Next.

sean1234567

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017

The problem seems to be that it's not picking up audio. I tried on my laptop and it worked just fine, but my desktop (what I need it for) does not seem to even pick up audio from it. Simply put: The hardware works fine. I can set it as my default device now, but it still does not pick up audio. There is no audio bar next to it either, and I can't adjust the levels. I don't think I have an Astro Command Center. I don't recall ever having to install one when I first plugged in the device. But it does have a mixamp that I have plugged in currently, not sure if that would affect anything. I'll provide some screenshots.
Edit: Screenshot seems to not be coming up. Not sure why. I'm fairly new to the site, so I hope an imgur link will suffice:

It's set as the default audio device but Windows doesn't even pick audio up. When I use the AMD control center it isn't even on there. I should also mention that when I tried the "Set up my microphone" it told me to make sure my audio hardware was working properly and to check my audio config.

iFNHh