Microsoft: 85% of Windows 8 Users Chose Desktop on Day 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilsizer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I choose it because it's easier to use on a pc. Yes I'm familiar with it but it also makes more sense then pictures ment for touch screens. The prblem here is that MS is, as always, still out f touch with it's customers.

besus

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
In related news, of those 85%, 100% of them went to the lower-left corner of the screen looking/hoping for a Start button as well.

Neve12ende12

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]besus[/nom]In related news, of those 85%, 100% of them went to the lower-left corner of the screen looking/hoping for a Start button as well.[/citation]

And they found it if they were in the Desktop. And when they clicked it, it took them to the new UI Start Menu.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I added a whole lot more than 19 tiles, once I learned how to add tiles. That part is not exactly intuitive. I also removed half the tiles MS put on there by default. There are some I'd like to turn off the animation and make smaller. (Netflix and Hulu got to double size, and Hulu puts the most useless, ugly pictures up.) I wish it were more customizable.

Even the tile layout won't act right. The way it organizes automatically is annoying. The first few tile are always 2 wide, at 9 instead of going to a 3X3 mode, it goes to a 2X4 +1 to the right mode. Adding a 10th makes it 2X4 +2 to the right on the first line, when I'd rather have it go to the second line. It's rather stupid.

Overall, I like the Win 8 interface, but there are still some problems with it. I'd put it on par with Win 7 for stability, usability, and performance, but Win 8 has better security. So, I'll stick with Win 8 for my main machine and my laptop. My HTPC is still Win 7 because it's easier with a touchpad. Win 8 with a touchpad and no touchscreen is terrible.

ram1009

Distinguished
I'm confused. I heard that Microsoft completely removed the code for a desktop so that even aftermarket developers couldn't add it back as an option. If users have the option for a desktop and start button what's the gripe?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I've hung off using 8 on my desktop PCs for now. I have a surface and the new UI is fantastic on it. However not having touch and having to navigate using the mouse is taking some getting used to on older machines..
For the average user who uses their PC for checking emails and updating their facebook page its fine even without touch.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]WTF is remote telemetry? I don't like my software phoning home and reporting my usage habits to big bro.[/citation]
Get over it. Every website you go to 'phones home' (your ISP tracks you at the very least) and every OS has done the same for years.

rickfromtexas

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
What's scariest of all is Microsoft monitoring what users are doing and hiding it behind the seemingly benign word telemetry.

I don't about you guys but this just really creeps me out.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]besus[/nom]In related news, of those 85%, 100% of them went to the lower-left corner of the screen looking/hoping for a Start button as well.[/citation]
Those who stop using their brain and just let their arm move and click like it used to do to reach the start button before the upgrade will find out that they do in fact reach the start screen with this very same movement (only if you use a mouse, not a touchscreen). In fact, Windows hasn't changed that much once you understand that It's barely a Windows 7 with a start screen instead of the start button. The other changes are the cherry on the cake (task manager, file copy,...) and if (like me), you don't like the "modern" full screen apps so much, you just don't use them until they are improved.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This is a no brainer. Most of corporate America would frown heavily on all the connections to the outside world the Live Tiles would bring....

brandonvi

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
lol anyone else feel like the person there doing the "" from there is trying do do jedi mind trick

"When people experience Windows 8, they do find it is easy to get started and fun to learn," along with a nice wave of the hand lol like the jedi

or "We know from the data we're getting in that customers do indeed get the product." or that one

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Man, if I had to rely on tiles for my power user superman skills, the entire thing would be flooded with tiles >_>
Seriously it would look like one of them bathroom floors with the tiny old school tiles ^.^
Resulting in me slowing to a crawl because I would spend more time lookin for $hit than working....

G

There are a number of tasks that can only be accomplished through the desktop UI and several that must be done through metro (yeah, I’m still calling it that). You can’t stay in one or the other 100% of the time. I’m not sure what significance this statistic has. People use an OS for different purposes (entertainment vs. productivity). Desktop is the former, metro is the latter.

“Windows 7 didn't have to deal with the tablet form factor” This is pretty funny considering how many touch features were baked into that OS. Features that have now mysteriously been removed from this new one. Also, this is selective memory. Microsoft has been developing for tablets for about a decade. They just had the totally wrong approach until now.

Been using Windows 8 a while now. On the desktop I would be one of those in the 85%, seems like they forgot about that thing called multitasking. I just wish on the desktop the metro interface was more like the start menu so that it opened up under the desktop so I have less going back and forth. The "METRO" apps like mail, messaging, etc should somehow be on the desktop so you don't have to bounce out of whatever your doing to check a message. I get by pretty well on Windows 8 it just seems they gave a big hit to having multiple apps up and usable concurrently.

G

It's a big smelly App Store front end poorly sutured in the way of the productive desktop! It is a M$ first step in the direction of totally locking out the open source software, and a monopolistic land grab on the hardware of third party OEM PCs! With M$ newly initiated system of "yearly releases", that will slowly erode the desktop part of the OS until there in nuthing remaining but a bunch of rectangular tiles and the sounds of cash register bells, for each OS sale, (Simulated ringing) through the corridors of M$ headquarters, as Steve Ballmer presses his fingertips togather hand to hand, and laughing in a low voice says, "Excellent!".

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]rickfromtexas[/nom]What's scariest of all is Microsoft monitoring what users are doing and hiding it behind the seemingly benign word telemetry.I don't about you guys but this just really creeps me out.[/citation]
Except that Microsoft isn't hiding the fact that they're doing it and in fact gives you a very clear option whether or not you're willing to allow them to collect usage data. Do a bit of research. The data they're collecting it through the customer experience improvement program....which you get a very clear message about during installation as well as an option whether or not you want to participate.

[citation][nom]eepdoodle[/nom]There are a number of tasks that can only be accomplished through the desktop UI and several that must be done through metro (yeah, I’m still calling it that). You can’t stay in one or the other 100% of the time. I’m not sure what significance this statistic has. People use an OS for different purposes (entertainment vs. productivity). Desktop is the former, metro is the latter.“Windows 7 didn't have to deal with the tablet form factor” This is pretty funny considering how many touch features were baked into that OS. Features that have now mysteriously been removed from this new one. Also, this is selective memory. Microsoft has been developing for tablets for about a decade. They just had the totally wrong approach until now.[/citation]
Windows7 was not intended for the current tablet market at all. It was intended for the PC market where you had a "tablet" that was essentially a laptop with dual hinged, touch display. It could open and close like a laptop....or you could turn the screen around and close it on top of the keyboard with only the display showing. Microsoft tried to work WP7 into the SFF tablet market to compete against the iPad....they just failed miserably. Prior to Windows Phone 7, Microsoft relied on WindowsCE (Windows Mobile) for the mobile market.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I would rather move my hand a fraction of a inch with a mouse on the table than reach out to the screen and touch it every time lol I don't get why anyone would like touch...

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Reller also cautioned skeptics that Windows 8 can't be compared to Windows 7 in regards to the adoption rate.
Bull crap. People were all over Windows 7 when it came out Wanting to get away from Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.