Microsoft Announces DirectX 12 at GDC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I believe you DID have them in there. If you type multiple paragraphs in the COMMENT section it removes all CR's. So you end up with ONE massive paragraph.

Hit the little "" pic that will send you into the forums to make a REAL comment that accepts your CR's etc. Not sure why they are incapable of fixing a simple thing in the comment section that recognizes carriage returns. Maybe they should just not have a comment section, but rather just the quote button that takes you to forums instead.

I hope I'm making sense to you here. Not trying to confuse you :)

VENAXIS

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013

I see no reason to hate on something just because something else you love isn't mentioned alongside it. Mantle is great and it deserves all the hype it's getting. Without AMD's Mantle, we probably would not have witnessed Microsoft's latest announcement about DX12 improvements (at least not soon), which will improve CPU overhead, just like Mantle has done. This is almost revolutionary to PC gaming, if not is revolutionary (I've tried Mantle myself, and the difference is ridiculously huge). Not to mention Nvidia's latest announcement of their upcoming new driver that will surpass/keep-up with Mantle's benchmarks, without reducing CPU overhead (according to them, here: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-driver-update-direct3d-optimization,26381.html). So yes, we really need Mantle. It's good that Mantle is happening. Without it, DirectX12 and OpenGL would've taken their sweet time to make this a reality.

G

Microsoft Announces DirectX 12 at GDC
You mean the same Microsoft that held back their primary consumers (Windows users) at DX9 for years for their DX9 consoles? The same Microsoft that just recently released a DX11 console that they're hoping to milk for about a decade? Yeah sure, I'm totally excited about DX12 just like I was for DX10, DX10.1 and DX11.

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I am just glad my 650 Ti wont have to be replaced, Now as far as them claiming 50 percent improvement in CPU utilization as well as improved distribution of work among threads, I will believe it when I see it, Remember they said the same thing about DX7 ,DX8, DX9,DX10 And DX11, But if this is correct it means even slower GPU's That can barley get by on DX11 games will have decent performance with next gen DX12, And that is not something like a big corporation like Microsoft would do, The day microsoft ever helps anyone is the day Satan needs a Jacket because a certain place just froze over.

Status
Not open for further replies.