Microsoft Announces iTunes Competitor: Xbox Music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tydalwave

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not sure about this either. They already have Zune Pass, if you haven't heard of that, it's a service for $14.99/mo that lets you stream/download any music available and store it on up to 3 pc's and 3 devices (daughter has a ZuneHD, I have a WP7, wife has a 8gig Zune) and then they let you keep 10 free songs (keep for good) a month. And as long as you continue the $14.99/mo, you keep the songs you have dl'd. So basically $5/mo for unlimited music, and $10 of free songs a month, not sure iTunes comes close to this. ATM my daughter has somewhere near 8K of songs on her ZuneHD and I'm still paying only $14.99/mo.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]They should call this what it is. Try number 3 or maybe 4? I thought windows media player and basically all that crapware that was on my old PC was intended to do this and failed miserably.[/citation]What? How does a media player compete with iTunes? WMP was just what it said... a basic media player for Windows. It supported music purchased from multiple sources, if that's what you mean. The old DRM licensing was really terrible though. If they handle Xbox Music like they handle Xbox Live purchases, it will be great. Access from everywhere, not linked to a particular box/device.

Xbox Music is intended to do everything their previous Zune efforts did, and then some, and will be available to a lot more devices too. Initially Windows 8, WinRT, and WP8. But as the article states they'll have clients for other devices too like Android and iOS. That's a lot better than both iTunes and their previous Zune efforts.

I'm willing to bet someone will find a way to get at least some of the Xbox Music platform working on Zune hardware too, or at the very least get it to sync music with Zune. With that being said, I still probably won't be on board. I like physical media, and lossless for digital. But I'm not elitist and I think this sort of setup will work nicely for most users, especially as an alternative to iTunes.[citation][nom]tydalwave[/nom]I'm not sure about this either. They already have Zune Pass, if you haven't heard of that, it's a service for $14.99/mo that lets you stream/download any music available and store it on up to 3 pc's and 3 devices (daughter has a ZuneHD, I have a WP7, wife has a 8gig Zune) and then they let you keep 10 free songs (keep for good) a month. And as long as you continue the $14.99/mo, you keep the songs you have dl'd. So basically $5/mo for unlimited music, and $10 of free songs a month, not sure iTunes comes close to this. ATM my daughter has somewhere near 8K of songs on her ZuneHD and I'm still paying only $14.99/mo.[/citation]That deal is no longer available, IIRC. You're grandfathered in. It really was/is a great deal for anyone that got onboard. I think they had to ditch it off in order to get more/better license deals, especially streaming. But if you're going to pay $10/month for a service anyway, at least you get unlimited streaming/custom radio and some other nice features all packed together.

Status
Not open for further replies.