Microsoft Announces Two New Microsoft Surface Tablets

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]same here, my mother in law recently broke her laptop and I am letting her borrow my touch screen netbook until win8 comes out.BTW, she loves Win8. It just took me ~30minutes to show her around and she caught on to the new interface. Compare that to the 3 hours I spend trying to teach her how to (unsuccessfully) use iTunes and that will give you an idea of how hard it is to learn... I swear, so many nerds are crybabies when it comes to interface changes, if my elderly mom in law can get use to it, then you can get use to it.[/citation]

haha i understand. i'm an IT major so any technology throw at me i can adapt and use.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Windows 8 breaks usability test which means work flow is broken badly on desktop not to mention non sense in form of duplications. Clearly Windows 8 is not for Desktop, Laptops or Servers but again MS will try to apply same interface to all platforms which will ultimately lead to biggest flop. Windows 8 Metro doesn't support multitasking, it is basically giant Smart Phone running on Desktop wasting 27" LCD for example space with nonsense. I guess it will work on Phone and Tablets, but will it help MS to take over Market Share against Apple and Android? Not sure. It is a big risk they are taking. Windows Phone 7 was not that great of success so far.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
If this thing has at least 512 levels of pen pressure, consider me sold. Exactly what I want... a tablet that runs a real OS so I can use real productivity programs on it that isn't as bulky as the convertables with Win7 (and with an OS interface that works well with touch).

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Anyone else think the name "surface" is about as lame as... well, Zune?[/citation]
The name is based on the concept that, on a computer you look at running applications through windows, hence the name "Windows" for the OS. On a tablet you interact more directly with the media you are looking at through touch. Hence the name "Surface". It makes a nice point, and the name isn't all that bad. I'd be curious to hear what you would consider to be a good name.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Thanks! All done![/citation]
aww thanks for the credit too. makes me feel happy inside. i just followed you on twitter- arc7891

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Surface Windows RT will run Nvidia Tegra 3 and Resolution is 1366*768. Another version with Windows 8 Pro will run Intel CPU instead ARM and not sure about GPU. Overall GPU will be powerful for this type of device.[/citation]I like what I see so far, but for a low-cost but still decent x86 solution, I'd like to see some AMD-based Win8 tablets too. For example, Brazos-T for low power requirements, or for the somewhat higher-power tablet, a low-power Trinity chip. The Intel solutions are powerful, especially on the CPU front, but they will no doubt cost a small fortune.

m3tric

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Looks pretty sweet, I just hope the prices are reasonable. I have a feeling MS may price the Pro too high - and I don't really care about the ARM version.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Good old MS, 2 years late to the game, with a device that has nothing over the existing tablets (RT ARM version) and something too thick and heavy to be a tablet and too crippled to be a laptop (the Pro x86 version).

The iPad is successful because it knows what it is - a streamlined dumbed down media and internet device that's awesome at what it is intended for.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Let the reign of X86 tablets BEGIN!!!!!!!Possibly good PC games!? Maybe at lowered resolutions and details, but this means it's the beginning of SUPER portable gaming.[/citation]

Yeah, I can't wait to be able to play Skyrim on a wristwatch in the future. It's going to be sweet, total immersion...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
An i5 processor in a tablet? Really?
The lowest powered i5 currently has a TDP of 17W. Has Intel some new super efficient i5 in the pipeline or has Microsoft given up on the idea of good battery life?

The Pro weights 900g anyway. Too heavy for a handheld device.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]RIP Android tablets.[/citation]

Not really, Android tablets will be significantly cheaper and will be modded like the Kindle Fire. The Surface will mainly take market away from netbooks/lower end laptops. Since these already run Windows, users are in effect just upgrading to a newer form factor.

I doubt it will eat into the IPad's market but once established it will probably greatly slow down Ipad's expansion

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]An i5 processor in a tablet? Really?The lowest powered i5 currently has a TDP of 17W. Has Intel some new super efficient i5 in the pipeline or has Microsoft given up on the idea of good battery life?The Pro weights 900g anyway. Too heavy for a handheld device.[/citation]
Considering that Wind8 runs pretty damn good on an old-test PC I have (AMD-X2 4200 / 1GB)... for a 10" tablet... an i5 is severe over-kill... why not an i3? Most likely, intel has something in the pipe with less wattage. Of course, they could have gone AMD.

So will the Surface Sink or Swim...?

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Good job Microsoft on the teaser! It's one of the very few products I am actually interested in and I will get one of each if the specs are good, the RT model for work and the Pro for home.

And the Surface name is good, fits the product.

G

Typical sheeple out in droves! Replace the word "Apple" with "Microsoft" and "iPad" with "Surface", and magically, it's all positive feedback and comments like "I may get my mother one!". LOL!

Trust me, your mother would rather have an iPad and would get much more use out of it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]An i5 processor in a tablet? Really?The lowest powered i5 currently has a TDP of 17W. Has Intel some new super efficient i5 in the pipeline or has Microsoft given up on the idea of good battery life?The Pro weights 900g anyway. Too heavy for a handheld device.[/citation]
Its the 3rd gen Ivybridge i5 so the TDP is lower, but can't seem to find exact figure and the battery is 42W/h, plus it won't run at full whack all the time

G

Microsoft just needs to get the developer support on board and let android go back to being a cheap product for poor people with US cellular or boost mobile.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]HAVOCcuas3er[/nom]Microsoft just needs to get the developer support on board[/citation]
For the X86 version that's everyone who ever wrote software for Windows, they will obviously have backwards compatability for Windows 7 / XP, so that's a given.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The downside to this is that I bet Intel signed an exclusivity contract to have the only x86 chip in a Microsoft Surface tablet (which, lets be honest here: these are by far the most svelte Win8 tablets so far announced) as is Intel's way, so it's doubtful we'll see a lower-priced but better-than-ARM version with AMD. I really want one with a Brazos 2.0 chip though - lower price but very good value and full x86 compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.