Microsoft Announces Two New Microsoft Surface Tablets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Surface Windows RT will run Nvidia Tegra 3 and Resolution is 1366*768. Another version with Windows 8 Pro will run Intel CPU instead ARM and not sure about GPU. Overall GPU will be powerful for this type of device.[/citation]

My selling point will be whether said GPU can handle Skyrim or The Witcher 2 (at least on low settings) and a few other select titles from my Steam library. I am hoping this will be my gaming-on-the-go holy grail.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I wonder if I can Install Windows 7 on the intel version. It supports touch and still has a native start menu. If nothing else the clasic shell should work on the intel version of the surface too.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]derkman[/nom]It's over. Apple is finished.[/citation]

So recompiling Windows 8 for ARM is great - MS is raising the bar and could have a decent competitor for the Ipad.

I just have a question about all that x86 software that's not compiled for ARM... When Apple switched from PPC to Intel, they needed to release Rosetta a dynamic binary translator to run PPC software on Intel.

If not, we have to wait till everything is recompiled for ARM. The older software will not work.

G

Looks great. Wondering about the Mg case though. Combine that with a LiPo battery fire and you've got the makings of a big disaster. Also wondering: has anyone seen Ballmer and "Dr Evil" in the same room at the same time?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]An i5 processor in a tablet? Really?The lowest powered i5 currently has a TDP of 17W. Has Intel some new super efficient i5 in the pipeline or has Microsoft given up on the idea of good battery life?The Pro weights 900g anyway. Too heavy for a handheld device.[/citation]
Well the samsung 7 series slate claims 3 hours with a SB i5, so i think this should do ok...though my main concern is heat, the ultrabooks i've seen so far get very hot, i don't know how anything more than an Atom SoC will manage to remain controllable (temp-wise) in a tablet form.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]My selling point will be whether said GPU can handle Skyrim or The Witcher 2 (at least on low settings) and a few other select titles from my Steam library. I am hoping this will be my gaming-on-the-go holy grail.[/citation]

Don't bet on it.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]That Lumia blue hurts my eyes. I so hope they have more easy colors to look at.I would advise for people to wait before they make the jump so soon as other companies will be making Windows based tablets so we will likely see better pricing or perhaps even better hardware specs.[/citation]

seriously, why would any consumer put a negative remarks on a comment like this unless you are the seller itself :p HAHAHAHAHAAHA

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]So recompiling Windows 8 for ARM is great - MS is raising the bar and could have a decent competitor for the Ipad. I just have a question about all that x86 software that's not compiled for ARM... When Apple switched from PPC to Intel, they needed to release Rosetta a dynamic binary translator to run PPC software on Intel.If not, we have to wait till everything is recompiled for ARM. The older software will not work.[/citation]

Yes, your suspicions are correct: no legacy software will run on Windows RT. Only Metro-style apps (and Office RT) will run on Windows RT. Microsoft is even saying that mice, keyboards, storage, and printers that are "certified for Windows RT" are supported by it. What that means is the hardware vendor has to use a generic USB "class" driver for their device instead of a specialized driver. Printers are going to be the biggest problematic hardware category for this because input devices already use HID drivers, and USB storage is already generalized.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Well the samsung 7 series slate claims 3 hours with a SB i5, so i think this should do ok...though my main concern is heat, the ultrabooks i've seen so far get very hot, i don't know how anything more than an Atom SoC will manage to remain controllable (temp-wise) in a tablet form.[/citation]

It's still active cooling, but there is a groove around the entire edge of the tablet to vent warm air. Your fingers don't ever cover the vent because of the groove which creates an air channel. This would be one of the ULV chips too so TDP would be low, and SpeedStep would be agressive. Metro apps aren't exactly processor-intensive either. If you loaded up several VM's on this or tried compressing some video, you'd probably notice a temperature increase though.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]You're welcome! Remember when everyone laughed at the iPad's name? I think Surface is better than iPad. I'm intrigued, though it sounds like the Wintel option will be pricey (ultrabook prices ... eek). I want a Windows 8 device, and I want it to be a touchscreen device. I also want it to be light so I can throw it in my purse when I travel. However, I don't know if I am ready to pay ultrabook pricing for a 10.6-inch device. Sigh...[/citation]

I think we are really at a point where device form factor preference can (and should) be different based on the physical attributes of the user, and that it's high time device makers (ahem, Apple) take note of this and don't assume that everyone on the planet is 5'6", weighs 125 lbs, and is genderless with just enough muscle tone to get a 20 lb flatscreen TV home from the store.

Case in point: any time I go anywhere with the inclination that there is a computing task to be done, I throw my laptop (a sizable Dell latitude) in my backpack and away I go. I never think "boy i wish this was smaller" because it has a generous keyboard and screen that i cant really do without, and it's size/weight is well below what i can shoulder without exerting myself. However if you aren't a 6'1" man with a little bit of muscle you might not find this to be the case. On the flip side I can never bring myself to take the iPhone seriously because the screen size is just sad; 4" is the smallest I can bear using for anything but dialing a call. I am fine with bigger tablets if they act a lot more like a laptop (it would be nicer to have more room for snacks in my backpack) and I am fine with bigger phones since they still fit in my pocket easily. I think that Apple's insistence that *their* size fits all is the single biggest thing that makes me stay away from their products. I am glad to see Microsoft getting in on the portable action, if they can mass produce these things with enough volume they MIGHT be able to hang on against Apple.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Some very nice design points for Microsoft here... integrated kickstand, very slick magnetic keyboard/cover. I think they may have a product that will appeal to the market, and there's a decent chance it will steal share away from Apple at the higher price points. I don't think this will be competition for most of the Android hardware because I don't think it'll be price competitive. The i5 version won't really have ANY direct competition since it's something in between current tablets and ultrabooks. I see it stealing sales from both markets and being the more compelling of the two offerings (I'm definitely interested to see what this product looks like). The RT version will have substantial competition from both Apple and Android... and will be at a big app disadvantage. Apple at the high end has a great product and intense 'curb appeal' with that incredible display. Android at the lower end has great price/performance and a whole lot of phone users who know and like the OS. I think it's a high risk gamble for the RT version but if the price and specs work out (it better be cheaper than the iPad at each spec level... and have good performance and battery life) it may be able to carve out a niche.

This will put a stop to companies purchasing IPADS to only use as toys.
This is a game-changer in the corporate world. It will please all in the corporate world, especially the high-end Windows 8 Pro version.

No Ipads in the corporate sectors any longer; They've been outhad by Microsoft now in that sector/purpose.

I don't think so, it implies "touch" and most people who know about computers know about Microsoft Surface table and display devices from airports and such.

I wish that they would have actually announced that it was going-on sale next week or something close to that, like Apple does with their products.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]You're welcome! Remember when everyone laughed at the iPad's name? I think Surface is better than iPad. I'm intrigued, though it sounds like the Wintel option will be pricey (ultrabook prices ... eek). I want a Windows 8 device, and I want it to be a touchscreen device. I also want it to be light so I can throw it in my purse when I travel. However, I don't know if I am ready to pay ultrabook pricing for a 10.6-inch device. Sigh...[/citation]

I have an Acer W500, and while its a descent machine, it has some design issues (keyboard/dock is too light, makes device top heavy / fall over, too thick for a tablet, cheaper plastic feel) but I still love it with Win8. The W510 looks like it will be an incredible machine, with all of the issues I have against the W500 resolved. This should be a spectacular tablet, especially if they can keep the close to the $500 price tag of the original.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Sandworm[/nom]Looks great. Wondering about the Mg case though. Combine that with a LiPo battery fire and you've got the makings of a big disaster.[/citation]Magnesium is very difficult to ignite when it's not a very thin sheet or dust.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I just finished watching the whole keynote speech (about 45 minutes) someone needs to tell Sinofsky that ripped stonewash went out of fashion in the 80s
Apart from that I think they are onto a real winner here, this will push other OEMs to release their own better products too, because right now the Nexus 7 looks like a Ford POS released on the same day as a new Ferrari
Apple proved that people are willing to spend money if the product is beautiful, even if it is just a toy, well this has full productivity too like a real laptop and the beauty factor is top of the line, so unless someone does something drastic with an Android tablet it will be plying its trade solely with people who want bargain basement and cheap, and that is not a good place to be in
Overnight it went from a 2 horse race with Apple and Google to a 2 horse race with Apple and Microsoft, I dare everyone to do better

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]danny2000[/nom]I don't think so, it implies "touch" and most people who know about computers know about Microsoft Surface table and display devices from airports and such.[/citation]
They are also in use as drinks tables in the cocktail lounge at the Rio in Vegas, very cool

Status
Not open for further replies.