Microsoft: Apple's Post-PC View Is Wrong

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The convergence that Microsoft proposes will be excellent, if there was a world without enterprise software. The part Microsoft overlooked I think, is precisely that sector. Nearly all features of Windows 8 are not useful for the productivity-oriented individuals.

exactly, all servers need is a basic GUI. MS has been doing that for every version. they never applied the graphics of windows XP or Aero on server versions but yet they keep the enhancements of Metro in the latest version

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Apple bores me. Sick of seeing the same apple devices. All look the same, no personality, overpriced, crappy software, hardware breaks easy. I agree with microsoft completely.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Just recently Apple's Tim Cook indicated that Microsoft's PC convergence is a poorly conceived idea. He said during the company's second quarter conference call that "you can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but you know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."

Huh? what does this even mean? What does a toaster or a refrigerator have to do with computers? This comment doesn't even make sense. LOL

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]Huh? what does this even mean? What does a toaster or a refrigerator have to do with computers? This comment doesn't even make sense. LOL[/citation]

[nom]upgrade_1977[/nom] is making an analogy - Combining a toaster and a fridge into one device, instead of making two devices that do their job cleanly.

This refers to making one OS that has to deal with for example: an 8 core gaming machine as well as phones designed to save power and run on 1GB of memory.
Corporate as well as home systems.
Legacy software, hardware, and apis - IE 7 has to run on it as well as driver for my 8 year old printer...

All of the above and do it well! On a Windows phone, on a tablet, on consumer smart phone...

I called it a "minivan-sportscar-scooter-motorcycle" a few comments above.

Status
Not open for further replies.