Microsoft: Apple's Post-PC View Is Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple makes great hardware," Turner admitted. "The reality is, in the OS, we see things differently. They've talked about it being the post-PC era, they talk about the tablet and PC being different. The reality in our world is that we think that's completely incorrect."

i think he ment to say samsung and Intel make great hardware for apple products LOL

"Apple makes great hardware," Turner admitted.

Excuse me, what? Apple does not make hardware, at all. I bet he thinks he is getting a faster pc since it has the mac logo on it also...

haha, regardless it was probably just a lapse in thinking.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I dunno about Apple and others talking on such a thing as a Post PC era,. but the flexibility, power, convenience and plain joy of using my PC through all this years tells otherwise,..

The PC is here to stay,. leveraging on both desktop and mobile platform (tablet, notebook,. etc),.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I'm glad Turner's saying this, because i share the same view. However it's ironical to an extent. If you're forcing Metro down desktop users' throats, it seems more like you're actually saying "the tablet and PC are the same thing", or "use the PC like a tablet!". And then Turner says "PC+".

If they just gave a clear choice to users during installation...so that people didn't have to resort to hacks to restore a comfortable user environment.

In my view it should have been slightly different. Keep metro on the desktop, but keep it shut unless explicitly called upon. Keep the start menu, aero, etc just the same. When you want to connect to the PC remotely via Surface phones/tablets (over wifi/bluetooth), metro pops up on the main (PC) screen.

Something like VLC Direct Pro.

Everyone would have been happy this way. But i guess then people would have said "wtf it's just the same as win 7, we're not upgrading!"

So they should have sold it for $15 online and $50 retail.

Now, everyone would be happy :D

Of course MS won't listen to me :(

G

I wholeheartedly agree with Microsoft that mobile devices simply complement the desktop PC and that it makes sense to have a single OS that will support multiple platforms.

That said, the OS needs to be designed to work appropriately on all platforms and support multiple inputs and interfaces. If you design the OS to run on all platforms yet the interface obviously favors a single platform and alienates users by forcing them to conform to a format unfit for their own platform, it would be idiotic not to expect backlash from your user base.

See what I did there, MS?

G

If I had to make a choice between Apple's view, and Microsoft's view, I think I would be going with Apple's view. While Microsoft may want to have "Windows 8 everywhere", the current Release Preview of Windows 8 shos the deep flaws in Microsoft's view. I am running the Windows 8 Release Preview on a couple of machines, a laptop and a desktop, and in general, on laptops/desktops, the Cellphone/Tablet orientation of Windows 8 is painfully evident. Things like the built in apps running full screen (I bought a 24" monitor to run multiple apps, not just one full screen stocks app that has 1 graph on it; my eyes may not be as good as they were, but they are not that bad). On a limited screen size device (cellphone or tables) this isn't an issue; on a large screen desktop or laptop, this is a pretty useless waste of space. While Microsoft would like to push the Metro interface on everybody, the inclusion of the desktop is an admission that the Metro interface is not usable for most business PC uses. In and of itself, this disproves Microsoft's stance.

Kostas

KupuAnd1

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I'm not with Microsoft nor Apple.....I'm with Google's philosophy.
You like Apple? We are there!
You like Microsoft? We are there!
You like linux? We are there!
You don't like any of the above...we got Chrome OS!

The only downside is privacy but with Skydrive and iCloud is just the same issue!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Those Gartner stats showing about 320 million PCs being sold every year
Seeing as the iPad sells about 34 million units a year
That PC figure needs to shrink by about 90% before anyone can start talking about anything close to "Post-PC"

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Microsoft does not yet have a track record on the things Turner was talking about. They do seem to have all the cash needed to make things happen, although. Unlike the Mac vs PC war in the 80's when personal computers had obviously focused functions for greatly elevating productivity, functions and purposes of personal mobile devices today are much fragmented and branched, and mostly not about productivity. Microsoft-Gates' failure on popularizing Tablet PC had proved it already. Hence the initial hesitation from Apple-Jobs on making iPad-like devices. But unlike Microsoft-Gates, Apple-Jobs strode to cultivate the market and educate consumers first because Apple-Jobs did not have the luxury of monopoly. That was the foundation of iPad's success. Sadly, Microsoft-Balmer is making the same old mistake again IMO, to assume that the mobile devices market and consumers are now mature enough for them to just move in and take the fruits. It is beyond me why and how Microsoft-Balmer believe that they could provide better user experience at better prices, without testing the market and consumers first.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
My suggestion to Microsoft is to invest A LOT into the infrastructure of mobile networks, ideally to cover the Entire country with 4G and WiFi. That would pave the way for consumers to easily switch to better services. Only when mobile consumers are not restricted by several companies, they will have confidence and the real option in choosing the mobile devices they favor. Only then, Microsoft could have a chance.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]"Apple makes great hardware," Turner admitted.Excuse me, what? Apple does not make hardware, at all. I bet he thinks he is getting a faster pc since it has the mac logo on it also...haha.[/citation] Apple is as much a hardware company as HP, Dell, Lenovo, SONY etc.

That is what they sell. They use Chinese outsources like the other companies (AppleII and Commodore 64s were actually built in the USA at one time). Open up a Thinkpad or an MacPro notebook and you'll see the FOXCONN stamp.

Apple designs the hardware, pays for its construction, sells it and supports it. They ARE a hardware company.

MS is mostly a software company, the XBOX is their biggest hardware device...

Intel is NOT a hardware company, they sell components.
AMD and Nvidia are not a software or hardware companies... they don't have factories.

Microsoft is quite wrong about their Windows on everything... And even their "Win8 to rule them all" is not true as WART (Windows Arm RT) devices cannot run Win x86 software. So its bullshit. They bolted on a mobile launcher onto a desktop OS. That's it. Ruined windows 8.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I've been saying it for a while, tablets and phones are different shades of the PC running different operating systems. A tablet/smartphone has RAM, processor, an OS, storage, network (wifi or 3g/3g) and programs to run on the OS. They're just computers that do different things. I agree with MS's assesment, but I agree with Apple's approach to have different operating systems for different devices.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Microsoft is wrong and Apple is right. Windows 8 will be OS not good enough for anything because MS is trying to have same user interface OS across different devices. Windows 8 badly fails. Each form factory should have its own operating system which will fits them the best. However they are all wrong about PC Post Era or PC Plus. PC did not change but new devices emerged which do not belong to PC category. Industry needs to introduce a new term called PM (Personal Mobile) which absolutely have nothing to do with PC which never changed.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
PC -> Desktops, Laptops, Notebooks
PM -> Smart Phones, Tablets, Book Readers

There is no = between PC and PM therefore MS attempt with Windows 8 is beyond comedy and insult to intelligence.

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Microsoft is at a pretty bad disadvantage in the mobile market right now. They are defiantly trying to change that, but it seems a bit risky to screw with their Desktop platform the way they have IMO. Personally, I feel Windows Phone 7 is a great platform, and its a little bit odd to me it gained no traction. That said, I think the only way microsoft is going to win this "war" is to sell Surface tablets at a loss. If they did something market disruptive, say selling them at between 99 - 149 -- They may very well buy the industry they've not had a decent foothold in. That said, as far as the two points of view, I think Apple's is, interestingly enough, a little closer to reality for what Microsofts SHOULD be, and Microsofts is closer to what Apples SHOULD be, given both companies current position in the market.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
'We believe you can have touch, a pen, a mouse, and a keyboard.'

BEEP...you cannot. I have Desktop equipped with 27" non touch screen connected to $4000 big ass tower machine and Touch is not possible there even screen supported touch...it simply fails ergonomics and usability.

MS hired bunch of jokers...where are these people coming from?

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Post PC? How about just smaller.

SSD = smaller
CPU/GPU on same chip = smaller (APU)
Battery and power needs = smaller

The only things not getting smaller are my hands and things I can read. The question for me is more about interaction time needed. The more time I need, the more I want a mouse/Keyboard/Monitor. The less time I need I am fine with a phone or tablet. Unless the smaller form just does not have the power to pull of the program.

This is where the Surface makes a lot scene. But I have a tablet, a phone, and a desktop. So I'll pass for now.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Nobody wants touchscreen apps on their desktop and nobody wants desktop apps designed with mouse, keyboard and 20"+ displays in mind on a 10" touchscreen.
Why does Microsoft cling to this idea?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I don't mind them bridging the differences at the OS level because development get that much easier with same api's ect but it should not be a tablet GUI in a DESKTOP - Period!

Were predicting that the x86 scale down to phone/tablet power budget would bring a unison OS from Microsoft but no way in hell at the metro cost!

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Nobody wants touchscreen apps on their desktop and nobody wants desktop apps designed with mouse, keyboard and 20"+ displays in mind on a 10" touchscreen.Why does Microsoft cling to this idea?[/citation]
They're applications as they always have been, and I don't think there will be touchscreen apps on your desktop as you won't be downloading them if your desktop isn't touch compatible. It's the same logic as there won't be software to burn .iso files to a cd when you do not have a cd drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.