Microsoft Backs Down on Controversial Xbox One Online Requirements, Used Game Disc Trading

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I know thisis a little off topic, but do you have to use the Kinect? Is it required for the XB1 to run or can you leave it disconnected?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is funny. It proves that Microsoft is a bunch of LIARS and Greedy little elves.
With all the numbers coming in, MS did some math... kind of hard to run their DRM scam if nobody buys the console.

I say, too little and far too late. hardcore won't forget, but the mom & pops may still buy this hunk of junk for their 6 year olds. Who else sales "provides thousands of dollars of value"? about a product? Not even car makers say such stupid crap.

Death to XBO! because it stinks!

Hardcore won't worry about playing games on a console. They have high-end PCs for that purpose.

I'm sure you'll be able to download games and play them on the XBOX One? What is it you'd be missing that Steam has?

Joshua M Below

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I don't care how hard I get trolled for this but this was a mistake on Microsoft's part. I loved the changes personally for better or worse I didn't care and was willing to take the chance. The fact that Microsoft gave in is very upsetting. It could have changed the game market, for worse or better, but we'll never know because the world complained of change. I applaud Microsoft for all the changes they're attempting.

Just to add this since I've seen a few comments about it. Windows 8 is a good operation system we just don't have the hardware to interact with it properly. I have a Surface RT and I love Windows 8. Don't get me wrong though I can understand why in a business environment Windows 8 just isn't what you want, but the industry moves slow on operating system changes anyhow. It's just we won't always be using a mouse and keyboard to interact with PCs.

In reality Microsoft tried to skip too far ahead because people are resistant to change.

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
This will not affect me one bit.. I'll still download my games from Live and be able to enjoy all the features that come with it..

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Everyone seems to want them to drop everything different about the XBOX One and make really just another 360. I don't get this.

"This doesn't really help those that don't have any internet at all, but it's something."
They haven't done anything for those who don't have electricity or TVs or indoor plumbing or roofs to protect the thing from rain either. They are going to lose the demographic that lives in cardboard boxes down by the river if they aren't careful.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I still am not of the belief that complaining on the internet will trigger anything substantial. This decision(which is a give and take if you have read the full text) probably came about after e3 when they got the latest pre order figures(ie the ones the public doesnt get to see but if youre a publisher etc. you can get at the drop of a hat)and saw them severely lacking. At that point they propbably decided to drop some of the DRM,not because people were complaining on twitter and facebook.

pariahdox

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
You jackwagons. I was already committed to the X1. Always online is not an issue for me. And digital game downloads works for me. I read games could cost $5-40, without having the need for the retail media/disc. Plus, you could trade the games with others online. M$ justed needed to make a way to play games offline. Their only real failure was not explaining how DRM and always-online would work and benefit the consumer. Epic fail there, probably. But, they will get it right at some point...

Joshua M Below

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I don't care how hard I get trolled for this but this was a mistake on Microsoft's part. I loved the changes personally for better or worse I didn't care and was willing to take the chance. The fact that Microsoft gave in is very upsetting. It could have changed the game market, for worse or better, but we'll never know because the world complained of change. I applaud Microsoft for all the changes they're attempting.

Just to add this since I've seen a few comments about it. Windows 8 is a good operation system we just don't have the hardware to interact with it properly. I have a Surface RT and I love Windows 8. Don't get me wrong though I can understand why in a business environment Windows 8 just isn't what you want, but the industry moves slow on operating system changes anyhow. It's just we won't always be using a mouse and keyboard to interact with PCs.

In reality Microsoft tried to skip too far ahead because people are resistant to change.

Windows 8 is a decent tablet OS. Users who only need one app up on the screen at a time shouldn't have a problem with the Metro interface. All simple consumption apps can run in Metro. For everything else, including the latest version of office or programming tools of any sort, Windows 8 brings you to old-fashioned desktop mode where the work gets done.

Having to know both interfaces is the problem both from training and consistency standpoints.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The games still need a 1 time activation on the console, meaning that if microsoft goes out of business or kills the DRM servers, you can not run any games purchased after the shutdown, meaning much of your use is still relying on microsoft keeping their DRM servers running and supporting the console.

I'm going to go out on a long, thin limb and venture to say MS will be with us at least another 8-10 years. If I'm using my XBOX One in 20-30 years and MS goes out of business, though, I'm going to be sore about it for sure.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

then what happens when you want to do classic gaming? There is no telling when a company will decide to shut down or move onto something else and leave the customers who purchased the old items hanging, especially when it comes to that hanging being due to an unnecessary point of failure.

Would you buy a car that required (for it to start) there to be a pair of dirty sneakers to be hanging from the telephone pole exactly 27.98 feet into the bad part of town?

Unnecessary points of failure are deal breakers as any form of online DRM has this failure potential, while providing no benefit to the end user.

lemon07r

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hardware isnt the only thing that needs to be look at, ps4 will be using opengl 4.2 and xbox one will be using directx 11. Whats the difference? Visually nothing, virtually identical. Performance wise, believe it or not opengl is much better, for instance a ported version of left for dead 2 in open gl had 140fps vs the 110fps it had in directx 11, not to mention the port was poorly optimized as it was only a month old. The reason why directx is so much more common is because it is heavily marketed to developers and is much easier to use and develop with and not to mention directx = microsoft, windows = microsoft, of course microsoft is going to try and standardize its own api. Not to mention ps3 had nvidia graphics chip, which does not run opengl as a current gen amd chip would. So expect the ps4 to have quite the marginal advantage over xbox performance wise, though it will be interesting how xbox one's esram effects its performance, perhaps if both consoles were based on the same api they would have more closer performance, but actual performance will come down to how well the game is developed and optimized for opengl (ps4) and directx (xbox). another thing, interestingly it probably would have been better if it hadnt been canceled, look at this:
http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905 pretty interesting.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

With steam I cant trade my games, which allows them to get special deals from Devs so I can pay $4 for a game that I wanted. Also, I hate spine-less companies. Really makes me reconsider my view of Microsoft.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

You nailed it. Consoles can do whatever they please. The compatible games decide the sales.

I know and then what happens if I want to do board gaming and lose a piece? All these points of failure?!!! Gah?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.