News Microsoft begins forced updates to Windows 11 23H2 — targets PCs running 21H2 and 22H2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptRiker

Prominent
Sep 17, 2022
I just got the update notify on my win 11 update i check every few days.. I built this new system last november I was suprised it took this long to update me to 23h2 lol.

-----------------------------------
Fractal Design Meshify 2 RGB Black TG
AMD 7950x3d CPU (16c/32t) (pbo)
64 gigs ddr5-6000 CL30 Corsair Vengeance RGB Memory (expo)
Asus ProArt X670E-Creator Motherboard
(2.5gb+10gb Ethernet ports, 2x USB4 ports)
4tb Crucial T700 Gen5 ssd (12.4GB/sec read, 11.8GB/sec write) - Boot
4tb Samsung 990 Pro Gen4 ssd (7.4GB/sec read, 6.9GB/sec write) - Data
GeForce RTX 4080 GAMING OC 16G Graphics Card
Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT 360mm AF120-RGB Water Cooler
1000watt CORSAIR HX Series HX1000i ATX 3.0
Windows 11 Home (22h3 finally!)
-----------------------------------

Apr 1, 2020
While it's a problem for TomsHardware since you're forcing your review PCs to stay on 22H2, I can't remember seeing anything negative about 23H2 (mainly because it's a minor release), or having experienced any issues with 23H2 since I installed it on November 1st 2023, this is a non issue for the majority of Windows 11 users.

computerdave911

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2013
Microsoft will use machine learning to guide its rollout of Windows 11 23H2.

Microsoft begins forced updates to Windows 11 23H2 — targets PCs running 21H2 and 22H2 : Read more
i wonder about unsupported cpu i have 2 7th gen unsupported systems in the house and i have had to manually install each version as it wont update on its own ,have to download the iso and install it when they release the next versions, so when 24h2 is is released i expect i will have to manually inatall again if want next version, my main computer is 11th gen i7 and it came with windows 11 but i put it back to windows 10 as 11 is like the next windows 8 i find, like its in experimental stages still.

t3t4

Great
Sep 5, 2023
Ah yes, Microsoft reminding you again that you don't control your computer, they do!

Just last night I installed Win 11 Pro 23h2 on an old AMD Bulldozer system. I wonder how long they'll let me keep it without trying to force me to upgrade to a TPM based system?

Here's the thing. If your running unsupported hardware you already know it. I'm guilty of that but I roll with the punches. Best advice to keep an un supported PC running where you know that OS update are coming that might give issues later.

Is before the update hits is take a blank SSD or hard drive. Make a fresh install of your current working windows 11 whatever version your on. Fully update until Microsoft says your PC is up to date.

I like to put all my driver on as well and at least my accounts to GOG, steam bla bla bla.

Now take drive and clone it again and test the clone #2 back in the PC. If it works call it good now you have two perfect working copies that can keep that PC working for years, Sure your stuck in time at the version of windows 11 that was cloned but PC will live.

Whenever you need to refresh computer use those clones to clone it to your regular "c" drive. Than put clone back away for a rainy day.

Take the clones and put it somewhere safe.

I did this same thing back when Windows 7 got it's pink slip.

Xp I slipstreamed into an ISO fully registered with full updates service pack 3 all dot nets updated, direct X so that's on a DVD ready to throw on if needed.

Vista well I know somewhere in time I have the service packs down loaded somewhere, I didn't have much love for Vista so If I had to I could but that would be work.

Windows 8 I didn't try to preserve future installs never liked.

Last edited:

t3t4

Great
Sep 5, 2023
Here's the thing. If your running unsupported hardware you already know it. I'm guilty of that but I roll with the punches. Best advice to keep an un supported PC running where you know that OS update are coming that might give issues later.

Is before the update hits is take a blank SSD or hard drive. Make a fresh install of your current working windows 11 whatever version your on. Fully update until Microsoft says your PC is up to date.

I like to put all my driver on as well and at least my accounts to GOG, steam bla bla bla.

Now take drive and clone it again and test the clone #2 back in the PC. If it works call it good now you have two perfect working copies that can keep that PC working for years, Sure your stuck in time at the version of windows 11 that was cloned but PC will live.

Whenever you need to refresh computer use those clones to clone it to your regular "c" drive. Than put clone back away for a rainy day.

Take the clones and put it somewhere safe.

I did this same thing back when Windows 7 got it's pink slip.

Xp I slipstreamed into an ISO fully registered with full updates service pack 3 all dot nets updated, direct X so that's on a DVD ready to throw on if needed.

Vista well I know somewhere in time I have the service packs down loaded somewhere, I didn't have much love for Vista so If I had to I could but that would be work.

Windows 8 I didn't try to preserve future installs never liked.
I wonder if cloning a modern updated system would simply transfer to old or unsupported hardware... In my case I made a torrent box, so if MS gives me a hard time I'll just install Linux and keep on rockin.

castl3bravo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
I have a few Windows 10 systems that'll be updating to Linux Mint next year. Don't want them to get hacked due to lack of support. One of them is an Intel 7700K w/o TPM :mad:

The 7700K still plays AAA titles just fine.

lemongrassgarlic

Honorable
Mar 9, 2018
You can still block MS updates , even in the home version with a firewall like TinyWall. I have to do this to keep Dell computer to automaticly install the awful maxxaudio/waves via a realtek driver that MS installs. A few things in the MS updates I don't want either like the AI stuff and changes MS made. So I'm sticking with 22H2 22621-1928.

Feb 24, 2024
Ah yes, Microsoft reminding you again that you don't control your computer, they do!

Just last night I installed Win 11 Pro 23h2 on an old AMD Bulldozer system. I wonder how long they'll let me keep it without trying to force me to upgrade to a TPM based system?
I'm sure it's not just the TPM ? I think it's also to do with something about AMD Virtualization, thats why the first version of the the Ryzen zen 1 like the R5 1600 CPU cant run windows 11.
sure it was something to do with the performance or a certain instruction in VM thats to do with the security of the O/S that doesnt run well on zen 1 and older AMD parts something along those lines, I think windows 11 is limited to a min of AMD zen 1+ and above.

t3t4

Great
Sep 5, 2023
I'm sure it's not just the TPM ? I think it's also to do with something about AMD Virtualization, thats why the first version of the the Ryzen zen 1 like the R5 1600 CPU cant run windows 11.
sure it was something to do with the performance or a certain instruction in VM thats to do with the security of the O/S that doesnt run well on zen 1 and older AMD parts something along those lines, I think windows 11 is limited to a min of AMD zen 1+ and above.
I don't understand the thinking behind any of it really, aside from creating more landfills, maybe?!. Why force older hardware to become unusable? Maybe too much effort is required in coding otherwise? But Linux don't seem to care or have an issue with the same exact hardware, so it's not a coding problem!

Microsoft and TPM just seems like a force of stupidity for the sake of being dumb in my opinion.

Feb 24, 2024
I don't understand the thinking behind any of it really, aside from creating more landfills, maybe?!. Why force older hardware to become unusable? Maybe too much effort is required in coding otherwise? But Linux don't seem to care or have an issue with the same exact hardware, so it's not a coding problem!

Microsoft and TPM just seems like a force of stupidity for the sake of being dumb in my opinion.
It's really more to do with trying to set a newer standard in minimum hardware security requirements but it's easy to feel they are doing this for no good reason.

I wouldn't say using older hardware running linux will make the hardware much more secure, if the user doesn't understand linux or never used a linux based PC before then they are going to be in a world of pain getting their head wrapped around an issue when something goes wrong in linux, which it does and alot easier to ah heck up then windows just from trying to install something.

windows is most likey already in a world of pain just from having to keep legacy support, I wonder what an O/S would be like if it was built from the ground up based on current the hardware tech and up only with no legacy support baked in what so ever, a lot more secure I'd bet, the industry is plauged with old legacy software and hardware due to cost and not investing in upgrading the hardware and software and thats a global issue. legacy support is probs one of if not the biggest security problem causes right there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.