Microsoft Bolsters Xbox One TV Capabilities With Hauppauge Digital Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Until they add cableCARD support somehow and get some legitimate DVR capabilities this will be barely a shadow of what Windows Media Center was. Antennas are largely useless at least in the US, I've had many and never manage to get more than a few channels, all of which cut out constantly.

Xbox one also has guide services through the box for various cable providers. Xbox needs to offer DVR capability for OTA and OTA guide services to really compete with other OTA offerings (e.g. TabloTV).

voodoochicken

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Until they add cableCARD support somehow and get some legitimate DVR capabilities this will be barely a shadow of what Windows Media Center was. Antennas are largely useless at least in the US, I've had many and never manage to get more than a few channels, all of which cut out constantly.

Depends on where you live. I've mostly been in the suburbs of Dallas, at least since the switch to digital, and while I've occasionally had wonky signals, or cross signals, for the most part my experience has been positive. The only time I really struggled was pulling SD alt channels like THiS or cozi. But still good enough compared to the signal we had in '70s

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Get a better antenna. I know many people in URBAN areas who use antennas and can get broadcast channels just fine using an antenna.

Only use an omnidirectional antenna if you're in an urban city. Otherwise buy a large directional antenna and place it up high. I have one mounted to the floor of my attic and i pick up FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, the CW and PBS just fine. All in gorgeous HD and rarely stutters or breaks out.

I use a program called TV Antenna Helper free on my android. It uses my GPS location and locates all the nearest tv stations. It tells you which antenna to buy and in which direction to point it, even uses your phone as a compass to point your antenna. It'll tell you which stations you'll get and their signal strength.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=potkay.tvantennahelper.free&hl=en

KeithV

Reputable
May 20, 2015
Microsoft is still missing the boat.

If Microsoft really wanted the XBox to be more than a game console, they should have added Windows Media Center to Windows Home Server. Let XBox stream data from the home server to the TV. Heck, let the Home Server stream game content like Nvidia Gamestream to the XBox.

I have a HTPC using Media Center and CableCard with a Home Server and can see the endless possibilities. Too bad Microsoft lost a bit of vision with those two products.

HDhomerun has the best solution for antenna people IMO. It's a network antenna tuner. Just connect it to an antenna, then connect it to your router and you've got tv on every smart tv or digital device in your house that can run DLNA. Also, it allows you to have the reciever as close to your antenna as possible and place your antenna higher in your home for better signal strength.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Unless I spend over $100 there isn't a better antenna. Besides, I've had identical experiences with every antenna I've tried in every place I've lived. And I live in the middle of a city in an apartment, so indeed urban.

And to everyone saying to get omnidirectional, I've never had anything else BUT omnidirectional. I'm not here for support, I know what I'm doing, it just doesn't work in my area.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Only for cord cutters. If they made a deal with dishnetwork, directv and cable(comcast), then they would have a complete home entertainment box.
If you're talking about full-on cable-box-replacing level of integration I'd say good luck - those companies would either want some kind of exclusive deal, or would oppose the idea entirely. They'd rather you used their hardware anyway especially for HD content, rentals, etc. There are some limited apps for various networks for the 360 (had a Verizon one on my 360) I don't know about the XB1.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I've tried to use the OTA with HDHomeRun with MythTV. With constant singal loss even with a large antenna it was not fun to watch. So eventually I bought the HDHomeRun Prime and got the CableCard from Comcast it's been working great for me. Love MythTV's ability to skip commericals automatically and unlimited storage without paying the monthly PVR fees. I paid $20 for the year to use CableData's TV guide. It's been great experience for me.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Tihs actually sounds interesting. Is the XBone going to have exclusive Win10 features, or will tuners attached to PCs going to be viable as well. I still get Analog cable (NTSC) with many ClearQAM channels on Bright House and a pair of Hauppauge 2250s tune in everything.

Removing WMC in Win10 was going to see current PC dropped to Win7 when I finally get my new mITX completed. If Win10 will support tuners then somebody, even MS, could figure a way to record the stream using native MS features.

Status
Not open for further replies.