Microsoft Confirms That ''Live'' is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

oh my. I hope they will still keep all my game save there for the next 10 years.

Marfig

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
Seems like going back to the the past. Most of these services used to be called by their respective names before the "Live" moniker go introduced... and now removed.

Clearly a mistake they did with "Live". But I confess my confusion as to why exactly is that so. Neither this article or the blog post got me to understand what was so wrong about "Live". If anything there were some products or services that should have never got the moniker. But from there to decide to kill the word entirely, seems a stretch.

It would be easier to understand if Microsoft just said they wanted to remove the word "Live" because being Windows 8 entirely a cloud experience, they would have to name "Live" a whole bunch of things.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Kill Metro and 8 might be "OK". ;-)[/citation]
Windows 8 is far superior to Windows 7, just because you don't like metro doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. That's like buying an XP machine because you don't like internet explorer 8. No one is forcing you to use metro on Win8, try typing "Disable metro" into google.

Metro is made for touch devices, it works great on my touch device, but only when touch is the only input available. When I use a mouse, I simply click my registry key to disable metro. Embrace change if you like IT, because the field moves fast.

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
"Microsoft account" will be the identity service for individuals who use Microsoft products and services. This will be used to access Windows 8, sign onto Xbox LIVE, browse the Windows 8 app store and more. The company will roll out the change in nomenclature from Windows Live ID to Microsoft account over the next several months across the entire product line. There are still some areas we continue to work on such as migrating your account (credit cards and purchase history) from one market (currency) to another if you’ve connected your account to services such as Xbox LIVE," Jones adds.

I am sorry to be picky, but this paragraph doesn't make sense. Should there be an open quote in "... entire product line. There are still..." between the period and "There"?

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Everyone complaining so hard about metro really needs to take into account that ONE touch to the WINDOWS key on a keyboard. and your right back to your desktop. stop trying so hard trolls. All metro has done was emulate a multi-monitor setup within the interface.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
It's like everyone is talking about windows 8 in the sense that they already have it. How the hell does everyone have 8 before it's out?
In other news, look at that nice shiny start button in the picture! I totally remember hearing that was going to be taken out.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]It's like everyone is talking about windows 8 in the sense that they already have it. How the hell does everyone have 8 before it's out?In other news, look at that nice shiny start button in the picture! I totally remember hearing that was going to be taken out.[/citation]
Maybe cause they are running the beta...

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Looks like a few here don't have the latest where you CAN'T DISABLE METRO.

(And why would I want a 3rd party "program" to do something that's been part of Windows for decades. I don't have a touch screen, I don't want big huge blocks.)

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Windows 8 is far superior to Windows 7, just because you don't like metro doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. That's like buying an XP machine because you don't like internet explorer 8. No one is forcing you to use metro on Win8, try typing "Disable metro" into google.Metro is made for touch devices, it works great on my touch device, but only when touch is the only input available. When I use a mouse, I simply click my registry key to disable metro. Embrace change if you like IT, because the field moves fast.[/citation]

Yeah, that hack doesn't work on the consumer preview. Regular joes like us don't actually have the option to disable metro at all. Which means hovering out mouse over the bottom left and right corners to do anything, which is cluncky, unresponsive, and unecessary.

Regular joes like us also don't have tablets we can install the x86 Consumer Preview on as those cost quite a lot for very little practical purpose (until now it seems).

I'm not dogging Windows 8 here, there are a lot of features I like about it. Increased resource efficiency, new file system, and IE10 with predictive text and error notification among them. But as it is right now for those of us whose version removed that registry hack, Windows 8 is not an improvement over 7.

Whether Microsoft will allow consumers to disable Metro in the final release is going to determine whether the OS is successful.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Metro can't be disabled (in the DP you could disable it through a registry hack but that's been "fixed" in the CP). That was a deliberate move by Microsoft, because they want to move everyone from the desktop to the new, closed system (Metro), and move them yesterday. Why? Well in the Metro ecosystem, all software needs to be downloaded from the Windows store, where Microsoft gets a 30% cut from sales, ad revenue from add-supported apps and they get to decide whether your app is allowed in the Windows store to begin with.

"But Apple and Google are doing the same thing!"

Yeah, but Apple and Google aren't messing with an established, dominant software platform that billions of people depend on.

"But there is always the desktop mode!"

The fact that Microsoft won't allow users to disable Metro makes it pretty clear that the desktop mode is moving to legacy-land, and fast. There probably won't be a desktop mode at all in Windows 9 or Windows 10, if Metro takes off.

Windows 7 will be supported until at least 2020, giving Microsoft enough time to kick Steve Ballmer to the curb and do a proper job in integrating their mobile platform into their existing OS.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]It astounds me that after all these years people still don't understand how to use google. Did it ever even occur to you to search for disabling the metro ui? If you did then maybe you would've found this:http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/w [...] -interface[/citation]

Page not found. And any article about disabling Metro UI that came out before the Consumer Preview is obsolete. The registry hack doesn't work any more.

monsta

Splendid
The problem MS faces with Live is that as soon as another company does something like myspace and facebook they will try and add something similar to Live and make it an all in one for MSN Messenger. It became bloated and lost its appeal. All the photo sharing and status updates in Live was a fail , it became cluttered and not user friendly anymore. I liked MSN Messenger as it was , a simple quick chat window with a list of friends and quick access to mail. It just got over bloated and stupid over time. I welcome the change again to go back to what it was , user friendly,simple and easy to use.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Kill Metro and 8 might be "OK". ;-)[/citation]

I plussed you, but I don't really want it killed. It looks like a great 10-foot interface for my HTPC. I definitely don't want it on my desktop though. The idea of using it on the desktop reminds me of Packard Bell Explorer from the early 90s.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
We have experienced major changes before. There was Win 95 and then mass movement to NT technology upon the release of Win 2K coupled with DirectX 7 (ah that was a day). The move to Win 8 is probably the biggest since Win 95 hit the market.

It is true that MS is the dominant force in the PC market. But it has to stay that way. It wont if it sticks to the model we are used too. The solutions that are coming with Win 8 and the rise of cloud computing are providing solutions that are desirable to the majority of PC owners. Ease of use across platforms and the retention and availability of data in a secure environment is the name of the game these days.

We Gamers are the minority. Our Rigs are well beyond the mainstream users needs and budget. It wasn't that long ago every second message ragged on Win 7 and espoused the virtues of XP a ten year old operating system. When XP came out the message was stick to Win 2K to avoid Windows Activation if nothing else.

Win 8 offers an OS that you can carry on a USB stick and use on any compatible PC. Sky Drive is now actually useful and Office is there in the cloud also. These are actually good concepts. The metro interface is actually usable and is really a souped up version of the Win 7 start button. Icons sit on the desktop just as they always have.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Haha! Can you imagine that? Somebody gets paid (and I bet quite well) first to tack on "Live" and then after a while to remove it, because it's surplus.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I love windows 7! And I rly hope Windows 8 to be even more stable and fast! But, if they don't give me my start button, maybe in the Ultimate or Professional or anyother version and the means to disable METRO, I'll wait for Windows 9 or maybe some Win8 MOD ;p Only trying after launch, not before that, not any beta tests, gonna let you guys to it =)

saumyazone

Honorable
May 3, 2012
http://liveoncampus.com/wire/show/3374048
Here is an informative video. Basically a look a cloud service integration on Windows 8 and Windows Phone.
With a complete REBRANDED Windows Live or to be correct dead Windows Live. Have a look.
Its a quick runthrough of the Cloud services on Windows 8.
Though there are a number of doubts and querries coming up regarding the New Windows integration but I hope to see it performing much better then the previous Windows performance.

G

DaveWolfgang
I believe Dos and Program manger was part of windows for long time too. Start man will go the same way, it not that your can't perform the same task. your just have to learn a new way to do it

Guardian Angle
So your never learned the winkey + C shortcut, might also wanna try winkey + I and winkey + s too

Status
Not open for further replies.