Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Launch For July 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they haven't said how the upgrade will work I am going to assume it is probably going to be much like the 8 to 8.1 upgrade, provided in the store which means a clean install wont be possible.

Probably going to have to buy a new copy to do that which is fine. I got 8 for $15 bucks so I wont complain at having to buy 10.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I've been using the technical preview since September. With each new build, things have grown less stable. The first build was ironically one of the best. They have a lot of bug smashing to do before July.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Its Windows 8 with a start menu. I've been using the preview for a while now and there is little diff between Windows 8 and Windows 10, which is a good thing I guess when it comes to people migrating from windows 8 or even 7, but it's nothing that's going to set new records by any means. although I do suspect it to be more popular then windows 8, but I don't know if I can say the same about windows 7. my biggest gripes are, there is still no option to revert the start menu back to the classic start menu. ms still wants to push its metro stuff onto people in some shape way or form, by jamming it into the start menu. i'm not a fan of the ribbon navigation menu either, the navigation menus in windows vista and windows 7 worked just fine, I wish there was a way for ms to have an option of a classic windows 7 style windows navigation menu to choose from instead.

For those who aren't eligible for the free W10 upgrade, it would be nice to see Microsoft at least offer W10 (even if for a limited time) to everyone else for a low introductory price of no more than $25 USD. C'mon, Microsoft! You can do that! :)

Dylan Orr

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Something curious.. regardless of the Launch on the 29th. . running win7-64 pro got the pop up today, 'reserved' win10 with email etc.. every since the reservation I've noticed slight bandwidth use aswell as periodic hard drive use, something akin to downloading files from a torrent. Curious if there's some background download happening even if it's not fully released yet, perhaps to distribute the load over time so come launch day they don't get completely drowned, (considering it's just over 3gb?)

I actually came to really like the new navigation menus. A lot more useful things are right there such as the ability to show hidden files, map network drives etc.

As for comparing it, it is a lot like 8.1 but there is a lot in the background that has changed, much like 7 to 8. Most we wont use but still there is a lot of change.

The fact that they are giving it away for free for users of 7 (the majority) and 8.1 that alone is pretty awesome. Very few normal people are on anything but 7 at least, only the insane die hards who wont budge from XP or those who are still for some strange reason on Vista.

Aside from that, it is not cheap to develop an OS, even if they reuse a lot of old stuff. Imagine the software engineer median pay is about $100K/year and that's for someone who is new. More experienced ones probably make well more and over 3-5 years of development gets expensive.

As well, they did that with 8. If you had a recent copy of 7 you could get it for as low as $15 bucks. Not a lot of people did it though.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Since they haven't said how the upgrade will work I am going to assume it is probably going to be much like the 8 to 8.1 upgrade, provided in the store which means a clean install wont be possible.

Probably going to have to buy a new copy to do that which is fine. I got 8 for $15 bucks so I wont complain at having to buy 10.

The upgrade works via windows update since Windows 7 dont have App store and right now you may see a pop up in your system trey showing a windows icon logo this is a thing to reserve your copy of windows 10 and such . Microsoft will Pre-load windows 10 before july 29th you can head over to neowin.net they have more news and info

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I've been using the technical preview since September. With each new build, things have grown less stable. The first build was ironically one of the best. They have a lot of bug smashing to do before July.

Thejn ther is somthing wrong with your system if it has been less stable as i ran coupel of builds and put them on my mothers laptop and it runs just fine no issues . if you really have that many issue and such it is your system Also why have you not i assume reported these issue in the windows Feedback App in detail

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Its Windows 8 with a start menu. I've been using the preview for a while now and there is little diff between Windows 8 and Windows 10, which is a good thing I guess when it comes to people migrating from windows 8 or even 7, but it's nothing that's going to set new records by any means. although I do suspect it to be more popular then windows 8, but I don't know if I can say the same about windows 7. my biggest gripes are, there is still no option to revert the start menu back to the classic start menu. ms still wants to push its metro stuff onto people in some shape way or form, by jamming it into the start menu. i'm not a fan of the ribbon navigation menu either, the navigation menus in windows vista and windows 7 worked just fine, I wish there was a way for ms to have an option of a classic windows 7 style windows navigation menu to choose from instead.

wow the fact that you cant tell much of a difference between windows 8/8.1 and windows 10 makes me laugh. How about the numerous new features how about everything in windows 10 is just light years better then what we current get with windows 8.1 so much has been improved that iot is not justa small upgrade it is rather a huge upgrade .

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The last time I checked the build, the resizable start menu feature that many were asking for was still MIA. Many people who got used to the Windows 8.1 full screen start menu wanted the option to resize the start menu to their liking. Before build 10014 I would widen or narrow the start menu to my liking and it had a full screen option icon on the top right of the start menu. The All Apps list still needs a way to quickly get to the desired app without excessive vertical scrolling or typing. On a desktop the mouse should have a way to quickly navigate the start menu. Many people suggested using the Windows Phone jump list feature or separate the tablet/phone apps from desktop apps by having an All Apps folder in the All Programs folder. In the end, Microsoft will not make everyone happy but this should be good enough to start a larger migration from Windows 7 users that decided to skip Windows 8.

NBSN

Admirable
Starting today I have the icon on the bottom right of my screen saying I should reserve my free upgrade to Windows 10. I purchased Windows 7 Pro 64 bit when I built my PC back at the end of 2013 for a reason. And I won't be "upgrading" for that same reason.

For those who aren't eligible for the free W10 upgrade, it would be nice to see Microsoft at least offer W10 (even if for a limited time) to everyone else for a low introductory price of no more than $25 USD. C'mon, Microsoft! You can do that! :)

Odds are that the Windows 7 computers that are not getting the free upgrade to windows 10 are not capable of running Windows 8. Although the system requirements look the same they are not. Starting with Windows 8 PAE, NX, and SSE2 were required to be implemented in the CPU and supported by the chipset. Without those functions available Windows 8 will not install (at least I have not been able to get it to install). Those same requirements are likely preventing some windows 7 computers from ever running anything beyond Windows 7.

Just made my windows 10 reservation yesterday. :)

I really really really hope I can install windows 10 fresh, without needing to install windows 8, then 8.1, then windows 10.

7 to 10
8.1 to 10
8 to 8.1 to 10, how they will address the CMPXCHG16b requirement I do not know. probably some still stranded on windows 8?

oczdude8

Distinguished
Something seems fishy about this "free" upgrade. I feel like they are trying to get everyone on windows 10, then slowly charge for features that were already there on windows 7 and 8.

Microsoft is a business after all, and you cant make money giving away stuff for free, unless there is a catch/benefit.

Still, I'm probably going to get windows 10 the day it comes out :p

Lets watch the language people. You might not like Windows 10 but that's no call for the language.

Looks are all preferential. I know some people who still make 7 look like Windows 2000 because they hate the Aero look.

That said, there are a ton of benefits of a newer OS. For one it is more secure, will support more products that are coming in the future and tends to have a need for less resources.

I will say this for Microsoft, it used to be that you would have to wait till at least the first service pack or two before the OS was in a decent useable state, i.e. XP with SP2 and Vista with SP1, but ever since 7 the OSes have launched in a very stable and decent state. Sure SP1 made 7 better as did 8.1 for 8 but at launch, 7 was one of the best OSes while XP was just a horrible bug and hole ridden OS.

Eventually you will upgrade to some newer version of Windows. You can't stay on an old OS forever.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I'm sure we'll migrate once they get the GUI right. They= users, not Microsoft. I'm sure there will be quite a lot of people asking for a GUI upgrade and once GUI upgrade packs become available, and the rest of the inconvenients are taken care of, there would be no reason not to make the switch. The thing is to make a switch with 0 trade-offs. There's no reason for the drawbacks Microsoft forces upon us - once they're erased, people currently reluctant to downgrade to Windows 10 will certainly upgrade to it.

You are assuming that we, the tech savvy, are the majority and that the tech savvy who care about the looks are the majority of that majority when in fact we are the minority and those who truly care are the minority of that minority.

The majority of people wont mind the change in the GUI. Everyone I have ever talked to about Windows 8/8.1 don't care about the change to the GUI except that they have to learn a few slight differences, which again is the same no matter what we do as things change.

Besides, Windows 10 returns the Aero glass look that so many people hated at first with 7 but now can't seem to live without.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I tried Windows 10 and offers nothing worth upgrading over Windows 7 not to mention how ugly it looks. No, thanks.

What build did you try out and did you even play around with it long enough to be like oh hey um wow ok cool this is great. also did it not offer a performance boost on your system as it seems to be doing everyone else i know ity did me.

your just fooling yourself in reality since windows 10 is a huge upgrade from windows 7 giving you a familiar feel and usage while being highly customizable to Your likeing ibut it is fine and dandy if let say your on windows 7 and you dont mind not being supported anymore from Microsoft and or you dont care about the Performance improvements it offers in windows 10 and or you dont care about gaming cause ya dont game or anything

Status
Not open for further replies.