News Microsoft Intros Pluton Processor, Intel Will Adopt AMD's Security Approach

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
The title is somewhat misleading, it implies that Intel is copying it when it isn't but is rather in a "partnership".

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
It won't take long for this to become a vulnerability itself. It's just adding a whole bunch more points of failure into the system to be attacked. Someone somewhere is going to figure out some edge-case vector and then you're fried.

PaulAlcorn

Managing Editor: News and Emerging Technology
Editor
Feb 24, 2015
The title is somewhat misleading, it implies that Intel is copying it when it isn't but is rather in a "partnership".

A "partnership" to adopt a security technique that AMD developed and has used since 2013 - and currently uses in several of its shipping lines of processors. Fair to say Intel is adopting the same approach - the title does not state 'copying.'

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
A "partnership" to adopt a security technique that AMD developed and has used since 2013 - and currently uses in several of its shipping lines of processors. Fair to say Intel is adopting the same approach - the title does not state 'copying.'
Oh wait, seems the title changed or something cause when I came to this article it said something like "Intel copies AMD" but yeah ok I get that argument, didn't realize AMD used it for that long

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
Am I the only one who DOES NOT want Microsoft software controlling their PC processor which is running a Linux operating system because they do not trust Windows on their PC?

Reactions: setx

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Am I the only one who DOES NOT want Microsoft software controlling their PC processor which is running a Linux operating system because they do not trust Windows on their PC?
Exactly. It's a joke to trust your system security to MS. I hope that this "security" co-processor can be completely disabled by BIOS (some hardware kill switch would be better, but little hope there).

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Exactly. It's a joke to trust your system security to MS. I hope that this "security" co-processor can be completely disabled by BIOS (some hardware kill switch would be better, but little hope there).
There will have to be something available to either bypass when using other OSes or support within other OSes.
AMD has been using something similar in Epyc for a while and DC gear and other OS support is widespread.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
So they could block unproved programs or modification to programs if the publisher says no.. Yeah it would actually fix cheating in games on pc but it would also probably block mods for tons of games.

Gta online as an example... There are mods that don't help rockstar make money and they are roleplay servers which use a mod to allow private servers. That could be easily banned by this chip

Anyone remember palidum? They tried to do this with Intel like 17 years ago or so and people revolted. Haven't heard a peep about this.

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016

No but considering you can remove anything you want via powershell your lack of trust makes little sense.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
You're not. Hopefully Lenovo release laptops with Ubuntu so there must be no Ms junk inside.