Microsoft 'Investigating' Black Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Crap, more ammunition for the Apple sheep! hopefully this is resolved quickly and efficiently, Windows 7 is doing so well too.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
The good thing with Microsoft is that they acknowledge and always try to resolve any problem with Windows. Also, some may say that Microsoft is too slow, but this is the price of having a majority share of the OS market and taking into account the multitude of hardware and software configurations.

They made a mistake the first time around, it would be a shame to do two mistakes in a row.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
wow.. that's funny. i had a client that had the black screen of death and I couldn't figure out what the computer was doing. It would show the Windows XP logo with the blue progress bar then turn black. Then it would cease to work from there.. Then I had to ghost it back just like I formatted it..

misterk_66

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
I can attest to this error. My system borked after installing that update, so I had to restore my system drive. Oddly, the error didn't reappear the next go around. I have never had that with a Windows update before, so I thought it might have had some other cause which I couldn't determine from my logs. I guess I wasn't crazy after all! (well...maybe a little crazy...)

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
This just in, Latest Apple ad:

Im a PC, I have the latest and greatest MS OS, I dont suffer from the blue screen of death.

Im a MAC, What about the BLACK screen of death?

PC: ..... Dont know what your talking about...

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]boxbabax[/nom]Crap, more ammunition for the Apple sheep! hopefully this is resolved quickly and efficiently, Windows 7 is doing so well too.[/citation]
How is this ammo for the "apple sheep"? This apple bashing and windows bashing is so Vista-era it's not even relevant anymore. I use Windows7 not because I refuse to use Apple's alternative, but because Windows is what I am comfortable with. Seriously, this bashing of preferences is getting as annoying as that "but can it play crysis" crap. Get over it!

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Microsoft has already concluded their investigation. The latest security updates do not cause the black screen of death. If this is happening to you then you've got much bigger problems.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]boxbabax[/nom]Crap, more ammunition for the Apple sheep![citation]
Let's not for get the recently patched Apple Snow Leopard for deleting Guest account data. Apple OS's are not immune to patching failures.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]bourgeoisdude[/nom]Microsoft has already denied the updates were to blame: http://www.betanews.com/article/Mi [...] 1259688849[/citation]
Also, from the way the article is ending, sounds like the 'security firm' is missing in action as far as an explanation goes...
Didn't have the problem on any of my PC's yet.

deathblooms2k1

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The story does seem a bit fishy and more specifically related to the firm than typical home users. Think about it, if it effects everyone running XP/Vista/7 there would be mass hysteria about it, instead we have a toms news article (hard to call it a news article with a straight face) written by Marcus Yam who consistently produces articles that have an obvious bias against Microsoft.

The nice part is Microsoft is actually investigating it, unlike Mac who would just sweep it under the rug: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-display-update,1747.html

zeuss

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Marcus quit embellishing the facts. Yes the patch was released in November but its painfully obvious you're trying to make it sund like it wsa released over a month ago, when in fact it was less than a week ago.

Tom's stop allowing Marcus to write anything pertaining to Microsoft, he always comes up always biased garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.