Microsoft Limits Support For Upcoming Processors To Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Things like this makes me hope linux will take of as a gaming platform, M$ only cares about money and would gladly sell their users souls if it would give a dime!

Windows today equal Spyware!

First- I wonder if AMD/Intel will supply their own patches as suggested above. Second- I wonder if MS will be forced to create patches for enterprise and business customers that might be leaked. Third- Linux is still updated to support new architectures, right? I'm curious if someone could take those, examine previous CPU optimization patches for Windows, and create a new Windows patch. Yes it would probably be extremely difficult, yes it would probably violate the EULA, but where there is a demand for something...

If a corporation bought all new computers with new processors and installed an old operating system, this is the only situation where this would apply. This is assuming they don't just work out of the box, but don't have support for features like USB 3.1 etc, which isn't a big deal.
And not really on MS to provide support for, either.

Your example of using car is very wrong. Have you heard of auto recalls (or product recall in general)? Even if your Ford Mustang is 12 years old, if the discovery of safety issues or product defects that might endanger the consumer or put the maker/seller at risk of legal action, there will be a recall even if it already out of the warranty period.

Windows patches is exactly fixing its product defects. You better hope your Ford Mustang did not build like MS build Windows because Ford cannot fix your car over the Internet.

Patches are not product defects that require a recall.
When they do discover product defects, such as the IE issue that impacted XP, they actually did retroactively patch XP.

So, yes, they do that as well. But no, you will not get regular maintenance patches for performance, bugs or minor security flaws.
There will always be ongoing problems, because it's a computer. If you want to keep your 2001 Mustang is good shape, you would do the same thing you would on XP. Don't use it.

''. There are so many flavours of Linux, with next to no support compared to WIndows, that it's not really a viable alternative.''

no support ??? wow !!

''Microsoft pays people with money, to make their operating system functional''

no, xp was .. everything above it seems to be more about the crapware then the core os ? then today you get less os and a lot more of the unwanted crapware??

really..

Just another way for Microsoft to force you to buy a new operating system with each new build. First the Win 10 OEM only issue where you buy the operating system but it is only good on one motherboard now with every new build, averaging every 3-4 years, needs the newest Microsoft operating system?

Word of advice to Microsoft, take your hand out of the pockets of the ones feeding you before they cut your hand off by going somewhere else. Strong arm tactics get you a big "Piss Off" from customers.

The point of Windows 10 is to move away from buying a new OS every year, and just get everyone on the same version of Windows. They lose enough in piracy that having everyone on a legit version of Windows is the best approach.

They compensate with the cost by collecting data, which will ultimately give longer life span to the product.

You can switch to some half-finished Linux build (if you think lacking hardware support is bad, try Linux) or just go ARM and use Android. The reality is, Linux is much worse for legacy hardware support, and releases new versions much more frequently. It gets just as many, if not worse, bugs and vendors do not provide as much support for it as users would like.

Linux is still half of what WIndows offers.

You guys all talk of strong arm tactics and to us, it is.

But the overwhelming rest of the world isn't going to give a shit.

There is a lot of talk about going to linux when the library gets better. Well when steam runs their polls and linux is still in the sub 10% category of OS, what makes you think they see a reason to move more games over? Get on board or stop talking about it.

If you buy the latest computer, use the latest operating system. This isn't just common sense, it's recommended. I've never ~not~ paired the latest hardware with the latest OS. And I generally avoid installing the newest OS on older hardware.

there are ALOT of companies that use XP and WIN7 they will take years to transition to a later version of windows due to their own proprietary programs. They still use the latest xeon's and dell/toshiba h97 laptops and workstation but a "small scale company" say 5000 people sure as shit will not be told what to do, they will hire a person from india to re-program their stuff to a seller that will do what they want, as others mentioned already, linux, chrome OS, hell if my manager walked up tmw and said we are using mac win 7 boot camp from now on here's you mac, i wouldn't blink an eye...webos and cloud computing and then their "small company problem" problem becomes someone else's problem, prolly running on an IBM somewhere and windows will gain nothing.

Any company still running XP should just throw those old Core2 systems in the Garbage. No company should be using anything XP, especially from a management perspective. It's absolute Garbage. They should be using new, power efficient computers, the latest OS (8.1 or 10), Server 2008 R2 at least and updated version of their software. No company should be running software from the XP era that no longer offers vendor support.

99% of the company's I am aware of don't use any workstations with XP, and very very few 2003 Servers.

''. There are so many flavours of Linux, with next to no support compared to WIndows, that it's not really a viable alternative.''

no support ??? wow !!

''Microsoft pays people with money, to make their operating system functional''

no, xp was .. everything above it seems to be more about the crapware then the core os ? then today you get less os and a lot more of the unwanted crapware??

really..

VS. Microsoft support? No, Linux support isn't even close.
The closest you will get is Vmware, but that isn't free or cheap. And I still prefer Hyper-V.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
guys your over-blowing this out of proportion.

All future Intel CPU's will work on windows 7 and 8 just fine. Just some of the special features such as "Speedshift" or AVX 5.0 for example, will not be supported.

It is a a absolute nightmare to support some of these new features on OLD OS's. They have to basically rebuild the entire kernal for some of this stuff, and i'd rather them spend months working on the latest and greatest, then windows 7.

Again, Skylake, Kabylake, and beyond will still function just fine on those old OS's

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm also kind of tired of hearing how "MS is giving away win 10". this is ssssoooo not true. kind of like the local crack dealer, the first taste is free but the rest is going to cost you dearly.

sure you get a free upgrade once but this is tied to your old hardware and anything new takes a new license which is anything but "free". new build = new copy of win 10 at $100 which is not exactly what i think of when i think of "free".

they chose to go the mobile route and track everything to make money off of advertising but still chose to charge me the same old price for this "OS as a service". android and iOS is free, Mac OSX is free, most linux distros are free but $100 for win 10 key is NOT FREE!!!

hannibal

Distinguished
guys your over-blowing this out of proportion.

All future Intel CPU's will work on windows 7 and 8 just fine. Just some of the special features such as "Speedshift" or AVX 5.0 for example, will not be supported.

It is a a absolute nightmare to support some of these new features on OLD OS's. They have to basically rebuild the entire kernal for some of this stuff, and i'd rather them spend months working on the latest and greatest, then windows 7.

Again, Skylake, Kabylake, and beyond will still function just fine on those old OS's

And all your old processors also will work at least ten years while runing win7. No problem there.
The only thing that you have t consider is, if those new features with new CPU are so important, that you wan to upgrade the OS.
For me it has been always easy. When I buy new computer in every 4-10 years, I buy new OS to it. The old one would be also 4-10 years old, so it definitely is time to get something new and more suitablet to new hardware. It would be like running win3.0 with intel Scylake and Nvidia 980ti aned having 4k computer screen... No sense at all!

hannibal

Distinguished
And I don't believe that people will run to use Linux. It has not happened before and it will not happen in many years.
I really would like to see all games to run in Linux and all professional programs to be ported to Linux, but it is not happening. Linux has 1% of os market now. 1% it is even less than windows have in tablet and phone market and that is low! And windows has huge support by Microsoft and still it does not get all essential apps...
How can linux that it even smaller to get any decent programs when it is even smaller?
I really hope that Linux will become real alternative to Windows, I really do! It would make miracles to competition!

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Eh. Big deal. Doesn't prevent Intel, AMD, ARM, etc. from releasing their own. Much like I go to AMD or NVidia (or MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc) for the most current drivers for the rest of my hardware. It's in the hardware manufacturer's best interest to do so (to a point, nobody really bothers with XP drivers now - finally.)

It's not like Win10 won't boot up.

As far as the "I'll move to Linux," well, good for you. I might, too, if some of my applications (and of course games) worked properly without tweaking and typing in esoteric nonsense - and even then had a risk of failure.

I used to be very much more "hardcore" in PC use, did multiboot OSes, tweaking, looking for every bit of performance. Now? So long as it works, great. And a Windows-based PC (and the Mac) provide that. (Linux does, to a point - if I have a basic web/email/office machine, great. Yes, I know it can do more. But that's all the patience I have any more for messing with it.)

john vitz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
You didn't realize when they did this before. Windows vista was said to have 3 motherboard upgrades, but they hacked the web and removed them all so users that hated vista would not go back thinking that was an incentive to see if they had really finaly fixed vistas driver issues

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I run Mac OS X and Linux because it's faster and more stable than windows 10 on my old systems. I still run windows 10 for gaming and that's the only reason why i keep windows 10.

boletus

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
TBNT, MS. I can't say I blame them for wanting the degree of control already being used by Apple and Google, and the attendant revenue and ease of platform management that affords However, they are throwing away the single most important aspect of Windows that has prevented me from migrating to those other platforms, which is the degree of control I have over what the software on my machine does.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Dumb.

How many people actually read the article and understand it? New cpus will work with older operating systems but new features probably will not. It's up to Intel to push that stuff.

CAP33

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
[:cap33] Yup!
After taking Windows 10 for a test drive via the Windows Insider Program i found i DID NOT like the Operating System AT ALL!! Very few options for customizing the look and feel of it and also found (could JUST B me),that my computer ran hotter, transfer speeds from one internal HDD (1TB Barracuda) to another dropped from 186 MB per sec.to 122 MB per sec..Many (most) of the programs/games would not work,which i'm sure have been addressed by a myriad of UPDATES..... but the thing that really irked me was the thought of being told what CAN be installed to MY COMPUTER and WHEN it will be done.I'm reading other posts suggesting that my computer could/would B used as a download server for OTHER PEOPLE'S computers??? Not sure about THAT but have the folks at Microsoft been using Elmer's without OPENING Windows :heink: and gone Microlimp? Guess I'll have to start experiencing some version of LINUX.Good from what i hear but TALK IS CHEAP, at least that's what i heard. :bounce:

alextheblue

Distinguished
I does work with modern hardware, we've done numerous skylake builds already for users who want nothing to do with Win10.

Guess you don't want users taking full advantage of Speedshift and the latest AVX instructions. They would have to overhaul 7 at the kernel level and they're NOT doing that for an old OS. So they'll still work, but as others have said you're missing features. Just like you could run an old web browser on a new system, but don't expect it to take advantage of new instructions or crunch anything on your graphics card with shaders.

Oh and they have released drivers for new CPUs before. AMD had CPU drivers for the dual-core Athlons for XP, for example. Running these drivers could improve performance/reliability but it wasn't as good as running a newer OS with native support. If you need an older OS because some software was written for an older OS, you can run 10 AND 7/XP/etc with hypervisor or similar. So you can get the best of both.

Really this is like demanding Google or Apple add support for the latest SoCs to older versions of Android and iOS so you can downgrade your new phone. Only MS gets beat up on this issue. Everyone else gets a pass.

Grizzly907LA

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Linux would be extremely popular if it had better support for video games, certain hardware and if companies like Logitech provided drivers and software for Linux, but they won't because they are in bed with Microsoft, just like the other companies are. For example I have a Logitech g510 gaming keyboard, and Logitech doesn't provide Linux drivers. I found an open source that worked...most of the time, but the person running it, shut down his website. Don't get me wrong Linux is a great operating system, but it lacks the support for certain hardware and its a bear to get video games like WoW to work properly. (I'm just using WoW as an example.) Linux users themselves turn people off from switching to Linux because of their elitist attitudes. I have ran into many a Linux that had the attitude of "learn how to program, and write your own driver/interface."

Linux makes up 2% of the market, while Microsoft dominates. People will upgrade their computers to accommodate Microsoft's demands. The Linux community is too fractured, and chaotic. The other problem with the Linux community is that they want to be on the bleeding edge, as opposed to creating something stable, that people can rely on. Sorry to be a downer but that's the reality of things.

Grizzly907LA

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

The federal government still uses XP and pays Microsoft millions a dollars a year in order to receive support for XP. There is nothing wrong with Windows XP. Microsoft stopped supporting it because they want to force people to spend money and upgrade to their new crap OS aka windblows 10.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
This could be good news for AMD if they can go around Microsoft and release their own software package for windows 8.1 and older.

I have a laptop on windows 10 because it originally came with windows 8.1, which is objectively horrible. I still keep my desktop on windows 7 because I like it far better than windows 10. the UI is more efficient, and displays more useful info and takes less vertical screen space (especially when you use the windows classic theme).

It performs better (does less background crap, and thus performance is more consistent).

It is also more stable; windows 10 still needs more time for Microsoft to properly fix it.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Anyone that doesn't see the windows subscription service coming, had better start taking a closer look. While brilliant for Microsoft's financial future, it's not good for businesses, consumers or developers. Prepare to Netflix it with your OS people. Monthly fee incoming.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
win 10 is a joke....can't stand it that it always seems to be communicate with Microsoft server...always beeps and notifies me that some update was installed and that I need to restart...3 weeks after install I went back to 8.1......Microsoft better get their shit together

Status
Not open for further replies.