Microsoft Patents Automatic OS Shutdown

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Sadly, with todays patent system even a os shutdown can be patented, it just proves how flawed it is when a company have to patent it just to protect itself from patent abusing firms who haven't invented anything and never will just living like leeches on the truly inventing companies!

The patent system need to be adjusted to the modern world where companies who truly invent new groundbreaking ideas can get patents while others who dont cant get anything patented. Maby its time to patent the use of mathematical addition or maby the "if" logic used in programing and then troll on it for the rest of the life...

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
But does it actually shutdown the system?

For example, Windows XP and Windows 7 still default to
applying pending system updates when you shutdown the system.

The default action should be to NOT apply any pending updates

G

Actually - it's a bit more scary as it looks - and not very funny.
This is the normal way to terminate programs , wether it is Windows, linux or some other program.
In the patent it is not mentioned, that it relates to windows - thus MS will be able to go after everybody that programs their OS, Apps or whatever in the sensible way.
Well done MS, US. Patent Office - you need to be more carefull what patents you grant, and really check if this is new or old stuff.

Bye the way,- i have a wheel i would like patented .....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Do you think Microsoft should have been awarded this patent?
On their own product? Uh, why not?
I like the idea of a shutdown that is timed so the netbox attached to my TV can just shutdown after midnight so I dont use power all the time after I have gone to bed but an to lazy ass to bother shutting it down.

What would be really cool would be a power-on from a media centre remote, not just wake up from standby but actual power on.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TheRabidDeer[/nom]Patents should only offer a month or two of protection for the creator, anything beyond that and it should be fair game.[/citation]
So if I spend 60 years and a few trillion dollars and finally get a cure for cancer in a simple pill, I have 2 months grace to get back the money put into R&D?

I'm sure you mean software only but it doesn't matter if it is small or big, if I spent my time & money making something then I want to see a reward for my hard work. People are only complaining because it is Microsoft, if it was a small independant software developer people would be 100% in support of him being paid for his ingenuity.

By the way, as far as using shutdown /s /f /t 0
Those shortcuts only exist because Microsoft put them there

G

Before any more "stupid patent office" comments are made, we all know that the patent metes and bounds are based on the CLAIMS, not the ABSTRACT or the FIGURES, right? So based on this article, we have only a very broad view of what is actually claimed.

I had no idea we have so many intellectual property experts here :p

G

QUOTE:Some points:
1) patents should be extremely specific
2) patents should NOT be awarded for ideas that everyone would use soon as they are the logical progression of current tech
3) excessive patents are slowing down innovation.
END QUOTE

Response from someone in the IP industry:
1) Patents can can as broad as possible as long as they do not infringe on previous art. Why would you want a specific patent that you can't enforce if no one has invented or claimed a broader disclosure?
2) This is so subjective that it's not even funny. "Wow, what an amazing invention. It's so great that everyone is going to use it. Therefore, patent application rejected"(???) That's a good way to spur innovation forward.
3) Probably true.

Everyone should also keep in mind that if Microsoft filed this application in 2005, published art would have to be found disclosing this invention prior to 2005. Actually, the art would almost certainly have to be prior to 2004, as I'm guessing Microsoft has the documentation to swear that the inventive concept was being worked on in 2004. So it's not like the examiner could say "This invention is so obvious to me...in 2010."

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Wait... I thought it was originally a feature that it didn't simply force close everything like in DOS and Windows.

I dunno... seems like a broken patent system. We introduce a way of running the OS which implodes if you simply shut the power off. But oh look, here's a solution... simply force close every app before powering off. Patent please.

I mean seriously? They cause a problem, and then get a broad patent that applies outside of their OS by what is tantamount to putting a bullet in the head of every application still running? Come on, this is obvious.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Someone has to shut down ® the patents office?

Btw is there any difference from automatically giving the kill command in linux during shut down?

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Another sign of a "FAILED" patent system. This should NEVER have been awarded as a patent. I certainly hope that the EFF Patent Busters goes after this one.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Microsoft has demonstrated faster shutdown mechanisms than what is described in the flow chart. Usually ending with a blue screen and white text. This shutdown technique is instantaneous! They may not have a patent on the technique, but they do it far better than their competition.

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Seems like it fails the obvious test to me. By virtue of being a shutdown command, or really, the software equivalent of an "off" button, it seems like telling an OS to shutdown, and it actually doing such, is, well, obvious. That the system was doing otherwise previously, in spite of software having less than top level priority, seems more like a flaw in the previous system.

partytime

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]Dang Jane, you're on a roll tonight (or should I say this morning?)! In just a few hours you seem to have single handedly posted more articles than the site generally gets in a day.[/citation]

I like Jane...

danieth

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I don't see why this patent is important, because it is only for Windows, and Microsoft is the only company producing Windows. If i have to purchase this as an extra to Windows from Microsoft then it should not have been exclusive to them. Otherwise, I am glad it is included in future Windows (I am assuming) so i don't have to install freeware or pay to do the same thing.

I don't think the patent covers Leopard or Linux because the 6th line down on the patent specifically refers to windows. I think what i have said justifies the patent going to Microsoft.

Automatic shutdown
I love when it works when you have a bunch of programs running ant that without a warning or when it's supposed to shut down but doesn't:

Ms should patent bug and annoying function, glitch and also BSOD's (probably already did that :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.