Microsoft Receives Quantum Computing Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknichov

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
The fact that you can patent something before its been developed and works is sickening. The whole patent system is inefficient and is hurting the consumer.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Zeknichov[/nom]The fact that you can patent something before its been developed and works is sickening. The whole patent system is inefficient and is hurting the consumer.[/citation]

I agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS :D

G

This is pathetic. Patents are the best way to hinder innovation.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
@ eno5 - That would not be your same attitude if someone stole or copied something you are working on. If anything, this helps innovation by setting a standard base to work from, instead of multiple people working on the same process in different ways to get the same results.

G

Microsoft are not actively engaged in producing working quantum computing devices. They never will be.
Are research students / groups the world over now more likely to put in years of effort to realise a technolgy that microsoft already has the patents for or are they more likely to just think 'f**k it dude, let's go bowling'?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS[/citation]
How is Linux and Mac OS relevant to quantum computing? What sets apart quantum computing from standard computers in mainly transistors (and the fact that quantum computers use quantum mechanic principles).

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I wonder if I can patent the patent process... this way, I can get a royalty on any one wishing to apply for a nonsense patent and not feel so bad when I read money grabs like this. It's sick to think this kind of patent system exists! :(

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]How is Linux and Mac OS relevant to quantum computing? What sets apart quantum computing from standard computers in mainly transistors (and the fact that quantum computers use quantum mechanic principles).[/citation]

They're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.

Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? :D Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content ;)

[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]Microsoft are not actively engaged in producing working quantum computing devices. They never will be. Are research students / groups the world over now more likely to put in years of effort to realise a technolgy that microsoft already has the patents for or are they more likely to just think 'f**k it dude, let's go bowling'?[/citation]

But they will make an OS to work with them. And of course they don't want some open source BS to steal their profits! Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, or example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done :)

G

Interesting, especially seeing as I work along side some of the biggest minds in quantum computing.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content[/citation]

I know MacOS is annoying, but give open source programs their due! Without open source stuff we'd be in a pretty shitty world...and Linux does have its advantages.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, for example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done[/citation]

+10^6 :D

Though the fact that software is pirated so much lets PC game make devs lame excuses... :(

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]They're not, because that MS patent will keep them away from it for good.Wow, lots of Linux fanboys on Tom's recently! What are you doing here? Core 2 Duo is enough for toying with your OS, you don't need Tom's content But they will make an OS to work with them. And of course they don't want some open source BS to steal their profits! Besides, research WILL be done, whether they want it or not; Asia, or example, doesn't care about patents and copyrights at all, 90% of all software here is pirated. And it gets work done[/citation]
Never used Linux bro. The irony here is that your a Windows fanboy, so any comment that you refer to someone else as a Linux fanboy is invalid and void. Now, get of your computer before your mommy finds you saying bad things in the internet.

G

You obviously never went to school to learn proper grammar. YOU'RE not your.

And Linux as a desktop OS will never breach 5% market share, less it can barely hit 2%.

Problem with open source for the general consumer? There's a bunch of nerds who make 400 different variations of the SAME THING and think that's what is going to drive people to using the product.

I've heard many times from people trying to get into Linux that the worst experience was when they go into a forum to ask for beginners help and they're pretty much told to screw off and they shouldn't be playing with it if they don't know it.

The community is a bunch of pissed off nerds who hate MS, yet they can't all band together to create a decent OS for a general user.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I could advise the same to you... what a pathetic ruse :D

Open source on Windows = WIN. Open source on Linux = FAIL. Even Firefox is half-assed there. Linux is cool, I work with it all the time, but keep it away from home desktops.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]J Steve[/nom]You obviously never went to school to learn proper grammar. YOU'RE not your.And Linux as a desktop OS will never breach 5% market share, less it can barely hit 2%.Problem with open source for the general consumer? There's a bunch of nerds who make 400 different variations of the SAME THING and think that's what is going to drive people to using the product.I've heard many times from people trying to get into Linux that the worst experience was when they go into a forum to ask for beginners help and they're pretty much told to screw off and they shouldn't be playing with it if they don't know it.The community is a bunch of pissed off nerds who hate MS, yet they can't all band together to create a decent OS for a general user.[/citation]
You sound mad, my friend. This is the internet. If it pisses you off that people make grammatical mistakes, you do not belong here. If you are a general user, Windows is fine for you. No one is forcing you into Linux. I personally do not use Linux as it doesn't work well with all hardware, and that Windows is enough for me. Why switch? Depending on what you are finding difficult, you can simple do a quick Google search on the topic or even look up a beginner's guide for Linux. What I find annoying is that Linux-as you claim-are a bunch of MS hating nerds (if you are implying "nerd" is an insult, I question why you are here), yet it seems as though the Windows community is becoming just as shallow and obnoxious as the Linux community.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You obviously never went to school to learn proper grammar. YOU'RE not your.

And Linux as a desktop OS will never breach 5% market share, less it can barely hit 2%.

Problem with open source for the general consumer? There's a bunch of nerds who make 400 different variations of the SAME THING and think that's what is going to drive people to using the product.

I've heard many times from people trying to get into Linux that the worst experience was when they go into a forum to ask for beginners help and they're pretty much told to screw off and they shouldn't be playing with it if they don't know it.

The community is a bunch of pissed off nerds who hate MS, yet they can't all band together to create a decent OS for a general user.

As much as I disrespect Linux for different things, I've actually never witnessed a problem with beginners being flamed. And I check forums a lot, because... well, because it's Linux :D

And they actually put it as an advantage... 400 distros, find the one you like :) What?! X doesn't work? But of course no! Change to Fedora/Ubuntu/Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/openSUSE/CentOS/and did I mention Ubuntu? No, not that one!! The LTS one, 10.04! What do you mean it doesn't support Sandy Bridge IGP properly? It's your own fault you're using such [strike]modern[/strike] fancy hardware!

:D

And I totally agree about a bunch of pissed off nerds. The people who've created the kernel and most of the OS are really skilled, but the rest of this "community" are a bunch of haters and I've seen too many stupid posters asking "You use WINDOWS? So how often does it BSOD on you?" I mean, if they're that outdated with that info and don't want to pay, maybe they should just pirate Windows 7 and check if it's really THAT bad :lol:

dontknownotsure

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Zeknichov[/nom]The fact that you can patent something before its been developed and works is sickening. The whole patent system is inefficient and is hurting the consumer.[/citation]

It might look ridiculous now ,but wouldn't it be an epic move for microsoft if it does really does profit them half a century later?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Back to the topic, quantum cryptography is really needed sometime soon, Sony and Steam can testify to that, if MS can take this patent and run it full pelt through their R&D labs with a couple of billion dollars behind it we may very well have a secure future for everyone.

Isn't that something to be thankful for?

Apparently not, this has now decended into a bitter fanboi war, grow up, all of you.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I agree, but hopefully this will destroy Linux and Mac OS[/citation]
Destroying the Monopoly of iShit is fine, but when you try to "Destroy" Linux you will be destroying a HUGE server platform & open-source medium that helped build the internet & home computer. THINK before you spew your jargon.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

troll-troll-face-l.png

Well.. not really. Linux is cool and all, but keep it away from home desktop and don't DARE to make ANY demands of hardware manufacturers. Don't wanna pay - why should they develop a driver for your OS?

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Android OS is based on the Linux kernel, not to mention Linux is found throughout many-if not majority-of supercomputers and servers.

So, logistically speaking, no Linux=No Android OS, which I believe you prefer compared to iOS or any other mobile OS. So if Linux did not exist, the mobile market, as well as the face of computing, would differ from what we see now. So yes, Linux is important and has a much larger role in the market than the desktop market.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Back to the topic, quantum cryptography is really needed sometime soon, Sony and Steam can testify to that, if MS can take this patent and run it full pelt through their R&D labs with a couple of billion dollars behind it we may very well have a secure future for everyone.Isn't that something to be thankful for?Apparently not, this has now decended into a bitter fanboi war, grow up, all of you.[/citation]
It's only a fanboy war if there are two or more sides which favor only one product/brand, which isn't the case here :p But yes, I know what you mean.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I actually don't care for Android. I'd prefer it over iOS, but Symbian was the best mobile OS experience for me, touch screen or not. And I have yet to try WP 7.5... if it lets me use hardware to the max and has every function I need inbuilt so I don't need crApps, I'd choose that over Android.

And I don't give about supercomputers (most of what they do on them is big scale nuclear war result simulations) and servers can run on Windows just fine, not my problem.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I'm wondering how they have defined those "braids" in patent application. If worded correctly MS could hold patent for any type of encryption done on quantum computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.