Microsoft Removes Start Button from Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hopefully this will be like the 'show desktop' quickbar button they removed in Win7 that you can add back in yourself (the one by the start button, not the new one on the right-hand side).

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Each version of Windows since XP has pushed me further and further away from Windows. Vista was garbage, I dislike 7 and don't understand the praise it gets from everyone.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I have been testing Win8 since the first developer preview. They are seriously taking a giant leap BACKWARDS in advancement. These metro tiles and the removal of the start menu make sense for tablets, phones, and other touchscreen device, sure, but what about the millions of users that have a keyboard and mouse? How is it more efficient to read text on a colored tiles as oppose to automatically recognizing a desktop icon?

Sometimes I wonder if the Execs at Microsoft even own a computer.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Seems pointless. In a fraction of the time it took me to move my mouse to hover over the start section, I could have pressed the Windows key! Or you could look at it like this: Start button isn't "gone," it's just invisible now and you don't have to click on it.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]Seems pointless. In a fraction of the time it took me to move my mouse to hover over the start section, I could have pressed the Windows key! Or you could look at it like this: Start button isn't "gone," it's just invisible now and you don't have to click on it.[/citation]

This is untrue. Pressing the windows key will bring you right back to the metro tile desktop. Even from the "show desktop" mode.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
:( kinda sad, for me Start button is one of best windows features, I even want start button for tablets or new smartphones...

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
STUPID.

Why remove one of the single-most iconic features of your Flagship Operating System?

I would keep it there, if not for anything else, than just for NOSTALGIA.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Although I like some of the advanced changes (pause file transfers, view tansfer speed graph, updated Task Manager), the Metro changes are really turning me off:

1. Metro Tiles are default (not the normal desktop)
2. Replacing the Start Menu with the Metro start page
3. Replacing the Start Button with a hot corner that no one is going to be able to find

I can't even fathom the number of tech support calls there will be for not being able to find the Start Button.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Guess I'll be running windows 7 for a while....

Oh, and by the way MS, we don't allow ANY wireless systems on our company network, not even the execs that have demanded to be able to get access with their iPads...... in fact, we ESPECIALLY don't allow any Apple product on our network.
Why?
If it's not wired, it's not secure.
Regarding apple?
We can't easily control what the Apple systems are getting access(iTunes crap for example) to with our own administrative systems without paying extra money. I mean, really, why should we pay more money in order to have control over our own network? Yea, sure we could do a mass ip/dns block, but it renders these stupid iPads nearly useless.....

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
poor move just poor - I don't use mac for a reason - I don't like my taskbar full of crap icons! what are you doing MS? they keep this up and I'm going to seriously consider moving to linux for my company.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Guess I'll be running windows 7 for a while....Oh, and by the way MS, we don't allow ANY wireless systems on our company network, not even the execs that have demanded to be able to get access with their iPads...... in fact, we ESPECIALLY don't allow any Apple product on our network. Why?If it's not wired, it's not secure.Regarding apple?We can't easily control what the Apple systems are getting access(iTunes crap for example) to with our own administrative systems without paying extra money. I mean, really, why should we pay more money in order to have control over our own network? Yea, sure we could do a mass ip/dns block, but it renders these stupid iPads nearly useless.....[/citation]
And that is why Apple is never going to be a business company and just a hippy fanboi company

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]And that is why Apple is never going to be a business company and just a hippy fanboi company[/citation]

Well they have 100 billion cash in the bank so they must be doing something right from a business standpoint.

humand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Much like Intel, I think Microsoft has a tick-tock development roadmap as well.. tick is when they flop.. Win ME, Vista, 8... and tock when they actually do a decent job, 2000, XP, 7.. So I guess we have an ideea what to expect from Windows 8

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Looks like Microsoft is keeping the trend of releasing a good OS, followed by the release of a junk OS.

Windows 95 (new, but junky), Windows 98 (good), Windows Me (junk), Windows XP (good), Windows Vista (junk), Windows 7 (good), Windows 8 (on it's way to being junky)

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
And what about the Win2K interface? I'm still using it on Windows 7. It's more compact. I love my pixels not going to waste, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.