Microsoft Reveals New Windows 7 Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvruhere

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
The Windows desktop pictured above reminds me of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Herring--it is complete even with the golden sunrise or sunset. Even the Start Icons at the bottom as they line up across the screen. Microsoft programmers are smart people but they generally lack ingenuity--that is--they only have talent for perfecting what someone else has invented.

even better the majority do not have to pollute there systems with apples quicktime. as for the comment that it looks like Linux then you anal linux people always find something to bash windows for. get over it linux will never replace windows and will always be for the nerds of the world

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I'm no Linux fan but it's just as easy as windows to learn. I'll go a step further in that Ubuntu is more intuitive than Windows 7 with more useful utilities and apps out of the box. It doesn’t game so well so it’s rather useless to me personally.

I’m still in awe of this Windows 7 love though. To me it’s just Vista with a new UI and some services disable or rearranged. I liked Vista and Windows 7 is a very subtle improvement. The main difference is driver support is there, thank to time and Vista.

G

can't teach my grandma to use linux? she is using linux, and so is my brother, and just about everyone that I help with computer problems, Ubuntu is extremely easy to use, much much easier than windows, and they don't have to worry about Viruses. Besides, linux users don't want it to replace Windows, that isn't the point of linux. However, Ubuntu could very well become mainstream. What you are talking about is linux 10 years ago, get with the times.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]linux is a super nerd's OS and requires more understanding beyound "click here for my documents, then click there for my pictures"[/citation]

just curious, which distro/version did you use that you couldn't access your docs/pictures by clicking?

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I don't know why everyone hates Vista so much I love it. I have no problems with it. I been using it for a year now its wonderful. Win 7 looks awesome but I might wait a couple of months before upgrading to it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]ByDesign[/nom]I'm no Linux fan but it's just as easy as windows to learn. I'll go a step further in that Ubuntu is more intuitive than Windows 7 with more useful utilities and apps out of the box. It doesn’t game so well so it’s rather useless to me personally.I’m still in awe of this Windows 7 love though. To me it’s just Vista with a new UI and some services disable or rearranged. I liked Vista and Windows 7 is a very subtle improvement. The main difference is driver support is there, thank to time and Vista.[/citation]

Ubuntu is more intuitive than Windows? Wow. That is a first. Less viruses, sure. Less footprint, sure. Easier to learn? Hell freaking no.

Try walking someone who isn't computer literate into updating drivers in Ubuntu.

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Ubuntu is more intuitive than Windows? Wow. That is a first. Less viruses, sure. Less footprint, sure. Easier to learn? Hell freaking no. Try walking someone who isn't computer literate into updating drivers in Ubuntu.[/citation]

I thought that actually happens automatically when they update their system...

alternately, you can do 'apt-get update' on console...

how would you guide someone who isn't computer literate into updating drivers in windows? graphics drivers for example?

or did you mean compiling their own drivers?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's why we have OS X - it gets the job done, doesn't prompt you every other seconds.

Why is it the same dorks chirp in on how great Vista is and how great Windows 7 is?? Why do you freaks do that? If Vista is so great, why was it a complete sales disaster?

Vista is worse than ME and it's slower than ME. Man you bone heads would vote for the return of Microsoft BOB.

Anyone read this article? I mean seriously, what's in Windows 7 that you gotta have that you don't have now in WinXP? Let alone Vista.

Do you Vista fan boys and girls work for Microsoft, are you being paid by them? What's the real deal -- nobody in their right mind would pay yet again another $200+ to upgrade and get nothing new out of it.

This if f'in retarded.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
7 will be my second attempt at upgrading from XP; hopefully this time that up doesn't turn into a down. I'm going to try and it out on my thinkpad 21 first.

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]That's why we have OS X - it gets the job done, doesn't prompt you every other seconds.Why is it the same dorks chirp in on how great Vista is and how great Windows 7 is?? Why do you freaks do that? If Vista is so great, why was it a complete sales disaster?Vista is worse than ME and it's slower than ME. Man you bone heads would vote for the return of Microsoft BOB.Anyone read this article? I mean seriously, what's in Windows 7 that you gotta have that you don't have now in WinXP? Let alone Vista.Do you Vista fan boys and girls work for Microsoft, are you being paid by them? What's the real deal -- nobody in their right mind would pay yet again another $200+ to upgrade and get nothing new out of it.This if f'in retarded.[/citation]
Man your a very angry person...
I didn't say Vista was the greatest OS out there. I just said its not all that bad. The reason the sales are doing so bad is because companies like E machine and Compaq insist on building computers with Vista that only have 512 or 1 Gb of Ram. Thats way to low for Vista. It runs better with 2 Gbs RAM or more. So people that own these piece of shit computers think Vista suxs. I used OS X and its ok. I have no problem with it. Trust me Vista Runs beautifully with the right Hardware.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I don't know why everyone hates Vista so much I love it. I have no problems with it. I been using it for a year now its wonderful.

Trust me Vista Runs beautifully with the right Hardware.

+1.

Vista is worse than ME and it's slower than ME.

I wasn't sure if you were a moron when I started reading your comment, but now I'm positive you are.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]That's why we have OS X - it gets the job done,[/citation]
If 'the job' is surfing, and making youtube videos about your favorite Ska band.

[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]If Vista is so great, why was it a complete sales disaster?[/citation]
Yeah, because quantity = quality. I mean, just look at Halo 3. Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil were horrible games.

But wait, Vista has %22.25 of the market share, and Apple only has %8.5
http://marketshare.hitslink.com/report.aspx?qprid=11

I guess than means Vista is approximately 3 times better than OSX.

[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]This if f'in retarded.[/citation]
Oh the irony.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
When Apple can actually be truthful and not be dishonest with their adds then I may give them a try but I doubt that will ever happen.
I run Vista on year old hardware and 4 GB of Ram and it runs awesome.
We can get into Apple is better than Microsoft debate but we all know how well Apple did without Steve Jobs the first time so it's just a matter of time.
I would bet more on Linux than OS.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
if people want to pay a crapload more $$$$ to get an apple, which has crappier specs compared to a same priced PC, and then to run OS-X. i say let them, darwin's doing his job, filtering out the gene pool :)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I worry a bit that adding all those 'default shortcuts' they'll break the feature they invented in vista, where you can add shortcuts to programs. On my vista box +++ would launch winamp, and replacing with would launch wow ... at some point there may not be enough available key shortcuts to use now that microsoft has decided to use all 3 modifier keys at once as well.

[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]That's why we have OS X - it gets the job done, doesn't prompt you every other seconds.Why is it the same dorks chirp in on how great Vista is and how great Windows 7 is?? Why do you freaks do that? If Vista is so great, why was it a complete sales disaster?Vista is worse than ME and it's slower than ME. Man you bone heads would vote for the return of Microsoft BOB.Anyone read this article? I mean seriously, what's in Windows 7 that you gotta have that you don't have now in WinXP? Let alone Vista.Do you Vista fan boys and girls work for Microsoft, are you being paid by them? What's the real deal -- nobody in their right mind would pay yet again another $200+ to upgrade and get nothing new out of it.This if f'in retarded.[/citation]

You know, you'll do a favor to the world by just going back to your OS X world and just shutting up there.

Just because someone says that Vista was great for them, does not make them a fanboy.

By the way, if you haven't noticed, this is a computer enthusiast site - and that does not include Apple. So do us all a favor by getting outta here.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

johnyjiang

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Have been running W7 for 1 month now, it is a guaranteed failure, no real difference compared with Vista:)

Experienced XP users, you know what I'm talking about. Those flashy "new" alt-tab view can never be more efficient than the old simply way to do it: point the mouse to a opened program on the task bar and read the tooltips to identify it.

Windows has been greatly improve peoples efficiency by using GUI, but at this stage it seems GUI is preventing people from getting higher efficiency.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]You know, you'll do a favor to the world by just going back to your OS X world and just shutting up there.Just because someone says that Vista was great for them, does not make them a fanboy. By the way, if you haven't noticed, this is a computer enthusiast site - and that does not include Apple. So do us all a favor by getting outta here. Thanks, and have a nice day.[/citation]
Overall I agree with you, but this site is for apple fanatics too, but real apple fanatics wouldn't find this site very good as it isn't as fanatical and naive about apple taxed hard and software as apple exclusive sites.

Anyway, vista is great. For some people. I've had vista for 2 years now. It hasn't always been kind to me, but we've become friends anyway. Last summer I had XP for a few months (my vista 64 dvd didn't work) and although xp didn't fail me, there was just something missing. Compare xp with a girlfriend ... nice, works, but there's just something missing that your wife has and the girlfriend not..

G

Still not understanding what Vista or Win7 buys the average user... I really don't care what my desktop looks like as I usually have a window opened up and maximized (I tend not to simply stare at the desktop). While the window preview is nice, it is just eye candy that frankly I don't need and really doesn't offer much value.

The OS is something that should enable other programs to run. It should be efficient, secure, and ideally use as small a footprint (memory, cpu usage) as possible. Most of the 'features' appear to me to be window (pun intended) dressing - I would like to know if it is any faster, more secure, or better than WinXP. Additional shortcuts and 'perdying' up the interface in my book does not equal better and worthy of a $200 upgrade (or a $20 upgrade for that matter)

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Overall I agree with you, but this site is for apple fanatics too, but real apple fanatics wouldn't find this site very good as it isn't as fanatical and naive about apple taxed hard and software as apple exclusive sites.[/citation]

*Cough* Gizmodo *Cough* :p

Status
Not open for further replies.