Microsoft Reveals Windows 10 Details: Universal Apps, Cortana On All Platforms, Xbox Integration, More

Status
Not open for further replies.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Windows 10 is opposite of what I was hoping to be but it looks like this is Windows 8 on steroids heavily using Internet and Cloud. Thanks, but no. In my book Windows 10 is EPIC fail. Looks like Windows 7 is the last OS on my machine before switching to Linux or some other alternative.

game junky

Distinguished
I think Microsoft is on a tick tock schedule like Intel - seems like Vista was a good concept with bad implementation due to glitches and Windows 7 finished Vista's thought. Windows 8 was a good concept with bad implementation due to being a harsh departure from it's predecessor with plenty of glitches, 8.1 patched some of the glitches but it still feels like it's intended for touch-screen devices only but Windows 10 feels like it's here to take the things people loved about Windows 7 for desktops and all of the things that touch-screen users loved about Windows 8 and married the two together. We will have to wait and see how Continuum, Spartan and some of the nuanced features works when deployed but so far it looks like a winner. It definitely looks to be worth the price of free for Win7/8 users but it might be worth waiting a few weeks to get a couple of patches deployed

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Of course you have to be online with Microsoft Account. It is the way it works in Windows Phone. For example Cortana is useless without Internet because she uses Bing Engine to get information and in my personal opinion useless. Once you remove and disable all this cloud stuff you are left with less than Windows 7 including crippled start menu. It is very disappointing presentation by Microsoft. It seems they run out of ideas and started talking about things like holograph just to fill dedicated time for it. In the first technical preview I haven't seen anything useful for business even less now. I don't see a company with 100s of computers upgrading to Windows 10 so they can have Cortana no one is going to use. Microsoft offer of 1 year time period to do free upgrade is rather cheap way of avoiding failure with Windows 10. Even if it was free for 10 years, it is not going to touch my hard drive.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Red77star, do you seriously think anyone in Amish country is going to use this? Go defect to Linux whilst you await the loss of worldwide always on high speed internet that the rest of the planet enjoys. I could give a damn about people without internet, if they don't then why even own a PC?

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
@back_by_demand Difference between people in Amish country is that they have a brain and they know to judge and decide whether something is bad or good unlike your the rest of the planet which goes and gets anything even if it's really worthless as long as it has label FREE on it. Typical for some countries :)

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Suppose to be free upgrade to Windows 7/8 users in the first year. PC gamer has said that. Nice. Will this be a gift from Bill Gates?

Interesting stuff! I am running Windows 10 right now and do like it a lot. I have to say it's more like Windows 7 but better and cleaner almost in a way. For one thing, I think they need to stop it with the Cortana stuff. Cortana is going to be the next Siri, used for two days and then never touched again. I don't see why companies think people love voice commands, because most people don't (I have not seen anyone use Siri in about a year).

I love the idea of Xbox players being able to play with PC players, which of course is only possible since Microsoft is in both industries. This is a pretty good idea if you ask me and I am not surprised they did not do this a while back. I also hope Microsoft manages to keep the operating system very desktop-friendly on desktops, which so far it is!

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Gotta love all the retrograde people complaining about this "always online" policy. It makes me wonder if these people come home everyday, disconnect their ethernet cable or turn off their wireless adapter, because they hate being "always online". Unless you plan to cut off your Internet connection, everyone is always connected online, Microsoft just saves you the time of logging into your account every time you turn your pc on. "But I want my freedom to choose a local account" you say, then stick to 7, cancel your Internet, then you will never be "always online". People need to realize that we live in the time of social media, you may not like it personally, but companies like Microsoft need to cater to these ones because they are a huge chunk of the market.

Oh, there are many advantages to being online, and certain features will naturally require it. Many others do not. Businesses and other institutions, particularly in secure environments, cannot have their operating systems and basic applications dependent on an online connection, particularly to third-party servers. Online privacy and security are huge deals these days, and failures there will only get more costly as time goes by.

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Onus, I agree that connecting to a third party server adds to the privacy and security concerns, but unfortunately, even some business oriented applications are moving to a cloud based, web interface. So as time goes on, it will be inevitable to have an always online policy. It's not ideal but it is the way the world is moving, so unless one plans to stay stuck in the past, we will eventually have to accept this new way of doing things.

yanta

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
I got up at 4am to watch this presentation and sat through the whole 135 minutes of it, and only one thing of interest - free for the next 12 months. How much after that? Will I be able to download my free upgrade as an ISO so I can do a clean install?

Other than that, watching the presentation really showed no compelling reason whatsoever to upgrade. Even for free. Cortana will cetainly be one of the first things I will disable/uninstall, as well as all other modern apps. They do not lend themseveles well to a desktop experience.

I think given Microsofts history that Cortana will NOT be trustworthy, nor will their new browser. They can tout "better privacy" all they want. To put the information they claim they can put at our fingertips, Windows has to disclose way too much personal information.

The reliance on cloud and online services is also very troubling. Worth avoiding at all costs.

I don't see anyone in this family walking around the house talking to computers or wearing Hololens headsets..

I was reminded of buying a car as I watched. The first thing you look at when buying a car is the visual appeal. Does the paint job look ok, does the shape, size and color suit my desires? Then we get in take it for a test drive and check out the features.

Windows 10 is just plain ugly. First looks are an instant turn off. It's still Windows 8. The apps, icons and visual appeal of the OS is headed in the wrong direction (The "mobile" direction). No surprise I guess since as Satya said "Mobile first, cloud first".... A kick in the stomach to desktop users the world over.

I would stay on my Windows 7 / Linux Mint systems rather than upgrade to Windows 10... Just because it looks terrible. There aren't any new compelling features [so far] in windows 10 anyway.

<sigh> I was hoping for more...

Sn SM

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
"Unless you plan to cut off your Internet connection, everyone is always connected online, ..." You need to get out more 8-] A LOT of us are not on line 24/7 and I know
people still on dial-up (and I'm in a major city). If you have to be tethered to an
internet connection for functionality this already is a fail. There will always be time
when you are using your system without a connection. For security you may NOT
want a connection either.

alextheblue

Distinguished
All what you see won't work unless you run your Windows with Microsoft Account meaning this is all blah.
Oh no a free Microsoft account! That could cost zeros of dollars!
Of course you have to be online with Microsoft Account. It is the way it works in Windows Phone. For example Cortana is useless without Internet because she uses Bing Engine to get information and in my personal opinion useless. Once you remove and disable all this cloud stuff you are left with less than Windows 7 including crippled start menu.
Just like Google and Apple assistants that also rely on the internet? Boy those are epic fails! I don't know anyone with an iPhone or an Android device. This is the way the market is headed. Grab a Linux distro and stop trolling.

I can do without the crapbox integration but Win 10 is shaping up to be what Win 8 was not.

It wont matter for me but t is what Windows 8 started the path for, a seamless experience across all devices on all platforms. That is something neither Apple or Google are doing currently.

It is probably the smartest move Microsoft has made and while 8 didn't get the reception they wanted it was a critical starting point. It will be nice to have the same experience across my PC and phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.