Microsoft: Seriously, No Xbox Hardware at E3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Sounds like a lot of poor people crybabying because they are too poor to afford new stuff. I suppose I would crybaby on the internet over every insignificant event if I was a loser too inept to get a real job.

Seeing as how that's not the case, I think I'll go set up my new iPad that I bought not because I needed it, but because I CAN! HAHA!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Too bad you won't be getting DX12 until at least 2014/2015..... Windows8 will have DX11.1[/citation]

Xbox 720 won't be coming out until after 2014, and I doubt it will support DX12, most likely DX10 or 11.

ravensharpless

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]dormantreign[/nom]Getting tired...i stopped playing this console 3 or 4 years ago. The graphics are teribad![/citation]
You know i'm not a fanboi that's not going to not play something just because it's cod or whatever. But i tried to play halo reach on my friends xbox 360. I hooked it up to my uber led tv, got all ready and everything but after a few hours of playing the graphics started to get to me because everything is blurry. There is messy aliasing, the view distance is practically at your feet, the textures are freaking low rez, the frame rate is locked to 30fps and there is frame drops that you know that you can not fix not to mention control latency like mad. I honestly thought the controller was great but i have spent too much time of the pc i suppose. Having the option to set the resolution to whatever you want, the option to set the ingame setting to make you frame rate go up or for more shine and the option to modify the game so you can be holding 2 min guns while flying around like superman with infinite health.

ravensharpless

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]ismaeljrp[/nom]Kids....it is no longer about graphics....that's surplus , from a business perspective.The way these consoles were made were meant for flexibilty in the addition of features....which in console terms is much much more important....Us PC gamer's love to complain, but that's more because our machines already do all those features, and a whole lot more....so really, the only thing to look foward to is improvement in actual game development.Consoles are more overall media centric.... so stop your whining already.[/citation]
You ever play a game of the xbox 360? Halo reach is considerd one of the best looking games on the 360 but its a low frame rate, laggy and the poor thing is trying so hard to run the graphics they have to sacrifice gameplay features. They did with bf3 and now it has no split screen. The only game that runs at a high framerate and with snappy controls is Call of Duty. Why? It's using a modified game engine from the late 90s.

Game developers will want to make better graphics whether you like it or not even if microsoft thinks its not necessary. If you were a painter what would you prefer. A paint set called "My first paint set" or something better.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]ravensharpless[/nom]You ever play a game of the xbox 360? Halo reach is considerd one of the best looking games on the 360 but its a low frame rate, laggy and the poor thing is trying so hard to run the graphics they have to sacrifice gameplay features. They did with bf3 and now it has no split screen. The only game that runs at a high framerate and with snappy controls is Call of Duty. Why? It's using a modified game engine from the late 90s.Game developers will want to make better graphics whether you like it or not even if microsoft thinks its not necessary. If you were a painter what would you prefer. A paint set called "My first paint set" or something better.[/citation]

You completely missed the point..... consoles are not just meant for " Gamers " solely. They are meant to appeal to a much larger crowd now. And that's whats good for business.....hence the horrible PC game sales where there are only " Gamers ".

People here are just way too naive sometimes. Keep living in your bubble.

ravensharpless

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]ismaeljrp[/nom]You completely missed the point..... consoles are not just meant for " Gamers " solely. They are meant to appeal to a much larger crowd now. And that's whats good for business.....hence the horrible PC game sales where there are only " Gamers ".People here are just way too naive sometimes. Keep living in your bubble.[/citation]
I wasn't talking about that part of it.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
Kinect. Milking the crap out of the xbox...has MS spoken to EA recently?
Do you think the 360 is getting a bit tired?
GETTING? it was tired 2 years ago.Just look at Crysis 2 graphics vs pc (even the non HD textures). I have a PS3, but less for the gaming, but rather the media server functionailty, as I can think of very few games I'd want to play on a console and not on my PC.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Microsoft is outselling every console so there is no presure to make a new one on their end anytime soon. That's their thought process. So with that said maybe this is a good thing maybe the 720 might have revised hardware when it actually does come out then the current specs reported to have now.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
if console too much holding back in the end, maybe developers will come to pc again for much better flexibility... hmm,, interesting.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]----> Reason I couldn't care less, no optical drive is an automatic count me out. I don't care how much potential it may have, I'm not investing in something where (concerning the games) I cannot resell, buy used on the cheap, rent, or lend or borrow from a friend. It may or may not end up this way, have to wait and see, but I know Microsoft's intentions for doing this.[/citation]

I haven't really kept up with any of these rumors but it could be on SD cards, mem sticks, etc. *shrugs*? But I would like built in dvd/blu-ray functionality so a disc is important to me.

Microsoft basically just said that people buying is what is allowing the consoles to stay so archaic. Sigh.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
The single reason Sony sold many Playstations was because of the built in Blu Ray Player.

Many people who had no interest in gaming bought the PS3 as a Blu Ray Player due to its quality, unlimited upgradeability and low cost compared to a stand alone quality player. I know of loads of people who did just that. Microsoft could learn a lot from this as there are a lot of people out there who want a unpgradeable Blu Ray but aren't interested in gaming and represent a quite a large market segment.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
This is exactly why I don't think consoles should dominate the gaming world. They won't release or work on anything new as long as they're making money. Growth is slow in consoles as far as the hardware goes.

We need some crazy developers pushing the boundaries or hardware, PC's allow for that. The first Crysis is a classic example of a game that was awesome because it was technologically fantastic and showed the world games could look much better.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dudemcduderson[/nom]I could not disagree more, I believe that REAL gamers should and DO care about good graphics. Are you suggesting that you would be okay with N64 graphics to this day so long as all the good games still came out? If so then you are lying to us and yourself (a lot of those games ran at a native 360p res btw, look it up).In regards to your comment "most of us want better sorry", I DO agree with this because my old Sorry board game is crap. They could make it better with more colored pieces to choose from you know?[/citation]

n64 level on current hardware, or old hardware?
because i would defiantly be ok on current hardware. most of my favroite games, and games i still go back to play once a year at least are n64 era or older.

take a look at minecraft. tell me that a game like that, if not optomised couldn't run on a n64. and it has FAR worse graphics than an n64 game.

now lets take minecraft as an example of how badly games are made today, graphic wise. ever notice how poorly that game plays, how much ram that game takes up, how any texture mod of quality, still looking far worse than most other games, requires you to have the game allow gigs of ram, when really is a at most 100 1mb textures... this is a VERY poorly optimized game, and the only reason it runs well on computers is because it is brute forced.

that is the kind of crap that lead to the crysis 1 engine... eff the gpus of today, let the future ones play that game well.

and lets put it this way, if a game had good gameplay, good story, good damn near everything but graphics, i would play it over a lesser game with immaculate graphics.

now let me point one thing out here... the morons im talking about arent talking about n64 level graphics, they are complaining about crysis 2 level graphics, and still complain after the dx11 patch. they complain about consoles holding the pc back, and i sware to god they bring up games like battle field 3 into those discussions.

you want to know what i consider to be minimal graphics from a real company, and not an indi company?

playstation 2 level graphics playable at 1080p at 60fps.

[citation][nom]gigantor21[/nom]Yeah, I fully agree with this. For me, the horsepower you need to play the game is secondary to whether or not it's even worth playing in the first place. A crap game with great graphics is just a tech demo.You didn't have to come off like a prick, though. "Downvote me for shoving the truth in your faces"? Seriously?[/citation]

i have made it to -20 by being nice about this and telling them that what they are asking for is a game that requires tri sli to even start up... i have been nice about it for a long time before i started writing it like that. and each time i did, all it seamed to do was incite rage of the people who cant handle the fact that people want to play games, not grow their... not sure if i would get sanction for continuing that though, but you know where im going with that.

now when i go onto that topic, i just font hold back any more because i know it will get down voted anyway because some people cant stand a bit of truth.

probably my favorite time i got downvoted to nothing was discribeing how i dont think games should ever be developed for future cards or sli systems, they should only be allowed to be developed for the best single gpu card available, and let people who want dual gpu have the game play at a higher resolution or a faster frame rate.

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I think Microsoft is alien to the concept of supporting more than one console at a time. Can someone send them an e-mail saying "You can still support the 360 if you come out with a new console. Jes sayin"

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Sure the 360 is nice and works/looks fine.... but I'm ready for somethng shiny and new, something faster and even more WOW. I just hope they make the design of the case better than the current Xbox and the last one. I would like something industrial looking that looks good in my array of home theater center. The current one isn't even rectangular and it doesn't sit well on other devices or look good along with the receiver and everything else. Make it out of aluminum, make it nice and rectangular with cool expansion bays, customizable front panels, LED readout, USB front output for flash drives, etc etc etc. Make the thing look like a mini Yamaha receiver (with adjustable fans).... In other words, make all the tech guys love the thing, make it a mini computer/entertainment device. I'll pay $500-$600+ no problem.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
You can't really compare console hardware to PC.

The first XBOX was like a GeForce 4 Pentium 3 and the XBOX 360 is like a GeForce 7600. If you look at the best looking and playing XBOX games, they look like something with an 8800GT, which is a lot more powerful than a 7600.

The games are specifically coded for the console, it makes them run more efficient. That said, I would like the new consoles to have at least HD6770 level performance.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
one thing i find interesting about toms is always the PC vs Console argument

that doesnt matter, consoles win....

PC may be superior in every way but the price

walmart isnt the largest retailer cus of its quality, its cus its cheap products

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm incredibly bored with this console generation. Us PC gamers need a new console gen because frankly, this sucks. What have we seen improve in our PC graphics in the past 6 years? - the screen resolution and AA. Yes, and some minor jumps from DX9 up to DX11.1.
Kinda weak if you ask me.

It's a problem that PC gamers are stuck on Microsoft/DirectX for the most part. DirectX sets the standard, and MS has no interest in pushing it big steps forward, because they'd hurt their Xbox strategy.

They'll use what they have as long as they can. When the new console generation comes out, MS will release everything they've been holding back for the past 7+ years of R&D into the Xbox SDK, and those features will move to DirectX too.
I wish PC gaming wasn't being stifled like this but it's a serious reality.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Microsoft is not the only player on the block. Hopefully Sony is working on something new and improved and it's competition that will drive the industry forward. I would feel more optimistic if we could raise the positive vibrations and start thinking about the xBox 1080.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]----> Reason I couldn't care less, no optical drive is an automatic count me out. I don't care how much potential it may have, I'm not investing in something where (concerning the games) I cannot resell, buy used on the cheap, rent, or lend or borrow from a friend. It may or may not end up this way, have to wait and see, but I know Microsoft's intentions for doing this.[/citation]

Erm...They are referring to the spinning plates of the hard disc drive, not an optical drive. They are moving from an HDD to an SSD, or solid state. The optical drive will likely be a blue ray player.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
All the PC people need to go away. PC gaming is dying fast. The only room left is for MMO-losers, and professional circuit players in Korea. Console and app gaming, while less "pretty" or tech-draining, are becoming the staple. They are vastly out-selling PC gaming and driving computers from mainstay to the realm of "remember when.." mode.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Jeez, I keep wanting an excuse to buy a console; I haven't bought one since PS2 launched. But the talk of no optical drive?? Maybe they are thinking ultraviolet for movie playback. Really smart when ISPs are putting caps on downloads and throttling bandwidth. They need to just bite the bullet, toss in a blu-ray drive (a much quieter one than my wife's PS3 slim), and support not only DLNA but also CIFS so it can be a better media player experience (direct folder access, screw libraries), with .MKV and FLAC support. Oh yeah, and some actually fun games. Do that, and I'll buy my first Microsoft console for times when I'm not PC gaming. It better be compatible with the current controllers, too, since I already have two my PC anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.