Microsoft Shows First Look at Windows 8 Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Remember when XP came out, and they "simplified" the desktop by removing the standard links to My Computer, My Documents, etc..? This seems to be going in the exact opposite direction. I wonder if we will be able to turn this off and use a traditional desktop, or if we're stuck with this crap?

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Last time i checked PCs use a mouse and keyboard to navigate so ... how is that UI supposed to "help" my productivity by turning my 24 inch LCD into basically a Phone screen? For a tablet/phone style device sure, touch it, rub it, lick it even if that's your cup of tea but I for one hope there's a second UI I can default too that looks just like the one in previous versions of windows.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Microsoft's marketing is so horrible.... and has been for years.
The interface looks good for tablets, but I really don't see how this could work well on desktops.

btw: they are apparently going to drop BIOS support (UEFI only now), which is going to piss off a lot of people with old motherboards.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Microsoft's marketing is so horrible.... and has been for years.The interface looks good for tablets, but I really don't see how this could work well on desktops.btw: they are apparently going to drop BIOS support (UEFI only now), which is going to piss off a lot of people with old motherboards.[/citation]
Steve Ballmer might want to start deciding what his next career will be then. Stockholders are going to be pissed when it doesn't sell due to lack of support for, I dunno, most of the PC market... I for one, refuse to build a new system just because Microsoft thinks my 9 month old computer is obsolete....

felipex

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I've a 24'' widescreen monitor and I use all my applications in maximized state. Be it Inkscape, Visual Studio, Sharp Develop, or MPLayer. The thing I need most is a good app switcher. That's why I'm more productive when using Ubuntu + Compiz with the Cube switcher. MS has come with a great way to switch applications that may rival "the cube". Using mouse gestures can replicate most of the touch interfacing... I think that if they manage to bring a great user experience in both desktop + mouse and touchscreen devices of many different sizes they will have a winning solution. Why wouldn't you have a cell or a tablet that works as great and in an almost identical fashion to your desktop OS? No need to learn things anew, etc. I know people that haven't switched to Windows 7 because they don't like the new start menu... They want the "classic"... Retrograde people should refrain from using computers!

What's up with the random music starting and stopping?

I agree with others here, though - turning my desktop into a phone screen is not an efficient use of large (even multiple) monitors. I hope this is turns out similar to Windows Media Center (which I've used like...once).

kancaras

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
The biggest feature in windows for me is that i have small taskbar at the bottom and few shortcuts. This way i can SEE all my running apps and SWITCH to them very quickly. Either through quicklaunch, app tabs or start menu. Touchpads are only gona get useful when they will support 3D and will be in the air, for now its just retro mouse with one button, only with your finger.

ZyxMEvEuuxcZ

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]What's up with the random music starting and stopping?[/citation]
Its from video file running in background of W8

[citation][nom]techseven[/nom]I wonder if they use customer feedback and suggestions like when they developed Win7....[/citation]

No they don't. I submitted a suggestion and got a response that they don't accept suggestions for future products and said my idea was returned "unread".

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like it'll be good for tablets, but like everyone else is asking what about regular desktops. Come on is Microsoft friggin kidding? What is wrong with Ballmer?

I remember sending suggestions back in the 98SE era... Those changes actually were added into Win2k and XP (built in folder customization).

Off course, I added technical information about what I thought it was better that way and all, but never got a response and if I did, don't remember it xD

Anyway, I kinda like the Win8 for tablets look. I hate over blown shinny popping GUIs. KISS is always the best idea.

Cheers!

G

I hope that the tiles on the desktop can be scaled down to fit more programs on each page. On previous versions of windows we can access all our desired programs from the desktop. We just need to remember where it is (even if it's in a cluttered desktop). Being able to sort programs by pages and being able to have a touch interactive desktop will definitely bring efficiencies to some, but distress to others.

I think pages work on smartphone because screen size is a limiting factor. I don't see them being productive on PCs though. If I could plug my iPhone in and it would use my monitor's native resolution I would want everything on one page to be access instantly by clicking the program. By having a multi-page UI a lot of a monitor's screen is used (windows 7 under utilizes the desktop for many people though). It'll be interesting what MS is cooking up, there's good and bad, either way it will be exciting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.