Microsoft Shows it is Winning ''By the Numbers''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I'm suprised by the hotmail thing but its probably because they've been around so long.. I like gmail 10x more for mobile and such since I don't have to pay them and its practically an exchange form of server with live push and syncing of mail box.. I do think their numbers are impressive though and windows 7 is something to be desired by almost all my customers.. They are all wanting it these days. When vista was out they begged me to make sure XP was install on everything I sold..

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
erm.. nicely put? lol You cant say no to facts and numbers can you?

As long as they bring me even better Windows next time around, better Xbox and Kinect and they keep up with the awesome beta just released ( yesterday I got the email and installed them ) Windows Essentials that both Messenger, Bing bar for I.E. etc gave a whole new feel to my Windows 7 based PC then I hope they keep making money and delivering. I really never liked a damn Browser Bar but the Bing Bar I installed accidentally and I actually like it o_O Messenger Beta is simply awesome and useful and the rest are yet to be checked out.

+1

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
[citation][nom]gncs91[/nom]give linux 2 years max!![/citation]

Hah! Linux....they had their chance with Vista. If they couldn't make significant inroads with the Vista fiasco, then there's really no hope...

steelbox

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]I'm suprised by the hotmail thing but its probably because they've been around so long.. I like gmail 10x more for mobile and such since I don't have to pay them and its practically an exchange form of server with live push and syncing of mail box.. I do think their numbers are impressive though and windows 7 is something to be desired by almost all my customers.. They are all wanting it these days. When vista was out they begged me to make sure XP was install on everything I sold..[/citation]

Hotmail dominance, must be do to MSN Messenger. I have an Live ID just for messenger, but for normal emails and everything, gmail is my choice.

RogueKitsune

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
9,000,000 customer downloads of the Office 2010 beta prior to launch, the largest Microsoft beta program in history.

errr because it was free, and its an office suite so everyone and their dog knows how to use one versus a beta os, or a beta of a program almost no one uses. I can say that i didn't download it or use it.

• $5.7 billion Apple net income for fiscal year ending in Sept 2009
• $6.5 billion Google net income for fiscal year ending in Dec 2009
• $14.5 billion Microsoft net income for fiscal year ending in June 2009

and here the reason Microsoft makes so much money is because people are idiots and don't know how to use anything but Microsoft products and they know this and charge an arm, a leg, and your first born for their products and services and the masses gladly pay. Google on the other hand offers seemingly hundreds of services FREE. Apple.... well Apple is Apple and i will leave it at that.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]cnox[/nom]Hah! Linux....they had their chance with Vista. If they couldn't make significant inroads with the Vista fiasco, then there's really no hope...[/citation]

I think Linux has a very viable opportunity for strong growth in up and coming countries/communities around the world. If a group of people haven't used computers or had access to computers often, they won't know the difference in what software they're using.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]cnox[/nom]Hah! Linux....they had their chance with Vista. If they couldn't make significant inroads with the Vista fiasco, then there's really no hope...[/citation]
How can an OS (I'll be relaxed with the terminology) with almost no advertising and therefore little public knowledge suddenly make "significant inroads" into the market share of the already dominant OS Windows XP? People don't just wake up one morning, throw their HDDs out and say "Eureka! I'm installing Linux!"

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]steelbox[/nom]Hotmail dominance, must be do to MSN Messenger. I have an Live ID just for messenger, but for normal emails and everything, gmail is my choice.[/citation]

I was thinking the same thing. Not only do you need a Live ID for messenger, you need a Live ID for EVERYTHING Microsoft, including Xbox Live.

So yeah, I have a MSN Live (hotmail) account, but I use Gmail as well.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]roguekitsune[/nom]Google on the other hand offers seemingly hundreds of services FREE. Apple.... well Apple is Apple and i will leave it at that.[/citation]
Google did pretty well with their free services, making more then Apple :p

drjt87

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I wonder if the Linux server percentage includes Google's servers? I remember reading they were like 11% of all worldwid servers...

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I think Microsoft is generally doing a good job in the field of late. I'm happy with all of their products except Live-mail. I haven't tried office 2010 but I doubt I'll buy it. OpenOffice works nearly as well for the majority of office tasks and it's free.

Google is doing some great innovative work. I can't really slight them at all. I think they'll continue to do well.

Apple: Bleh... Don't want to start a flame war but I've been boycotting them since 1995. They do know how to make things shiny though :)

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
[citation][nom]steelbox[/nom]Hotmail dominance, must be do to MSN Messenger. I have an Live ID just for messenger, but for normal emails and everything, gmail is my choice.[/citation]Actually, I've been using both accounts for several years, and I'd say both have good and bad points. What I love about gmail is the conversations, what I love about hotmail is the beautiful integration with Live Essentials and Outlook connector, together with a faster interface on the web. That said, the new hotmail is taking a huge step forward with support for conversations, skydrive integration, and office webapps. I'll keep on using both, but to me Microsoft has taken the lead again (when gmail first appeared it was the opposite, which is why I opened an account to begin with).

I personally enjoy watching both giants improving their products that I still enjoy for free.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]I think Linux has a very viable opportunity for strong growth in up and coming countries/communities around the world. If a group of people haven't used computers or had access to computers often, they won't know the difference in what software they're using.[/citation]

True, Linux has become much more viable over the years. Linux would be fine for most people that only want to do everyday basic computing.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
GMail and Google Docs for the win, however I like Bing better than Google search. I don't have a preference of one company over another, I just use the one that works best for free.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]gncs91[/nom]give linux 2 years max!![/citation]
Don't pay the MS trolls any mind. MS probably pays pimply faced kids in their mom's basement Xbox Live points to troll around and support their crap.

G

Way to go Microsoft, now stop trying to make me touch my bloody screen and I will be happy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.