Microsoft Signs Deal With WolframAlpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Interesting. Cause, it might actually even suck now but could literally improve into something groundbreaking when it comes to info generated from your own searchengine ( if persay bing doesn't get dropped and unused).

This kind of feature could be amazing futurewise and sounds as promising as useless as it is at the momment.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I've used it as a simple calculator before. Its about as functional as a TI-89 the last time I used it.

I think its an awesome search engine concept. Its like Ask Jeeves Googleing Wikipedia and handing you the answer instead of links to possible answers.

G

WolframAlpha is utter shit, it's a fine example of how to make a quick buck creating a pointless technology firm, then selling it to Microsoft. Well done.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
adding WolframAlpha is great idea...

i wonder why google has not innovated of late... why didn't they make a deal with WolframAlpha. appears being #1 has made them narcistic .

microsoft + yahoo + WolframAlpha should give google should be an interesting fight...

microsoft should look to partner with dictionary.com as well. won't hurt to add a bunch of references. so people can do define narcistic and it will tell you what it is...
ive tried WolframAlpha when it first came out, while very powerful I found it of limited use to the kind of srearches that i do.

regards to Bing, I've changed my default search to it because I got tired of all the junk google comes up with. It works for the most part, but from time to time it does not come up with anything and I have to resubmit my search to google.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I've used wolfram alpha, mainly to solve differential equations when i'm not at home, it's quite useful.

It's also fun to see which famous people share birthdays with you.

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I think WolframAlpha is what Mathmatica 7 should have been for those of us not code-savy. If I need to do any complex math my TI-89 can do it easier than Mathmatica, no 15 lines of code to do one simple integral. Just my $.02 as for me and code do not go well together.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Bing gives me much better results recently than Google. Now with WolframAlpha KB, that should improve even more. If Ask.Com could back-end on Bing as well, I think it would be unstoppable in the market.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]WolframAlpha_fantranny[/nom]WolframAlpha is utter shit, it's a fine example of how to make a quick buck creating a pointless technology firm, then selling it to Microsoft. Well done.[/citation]
Sounds like you didn't bother to take teh time to learn about what WolframAlpha is all about. It is a new concept and and alpha for Christ's sake! You get out of things what you put into them, put shit in and you get shit out. Good job!

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Today Microsoft signs a deal with WolframAlpha, tomorrow they'll buy them out, the next day MS get sue for patent infringement and by EU.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I thought Bing was a ripoff of WolframAlpha from the beginning. WolframAlpha is actually a very useful search engine with lots of nice features. Bing has a nice interface but it basically seemed like Google in WolframAlpha clothing.

G

QUOTE: "Sounds like you didn't bother to take teh time to learn about what WolframAlpha is all about. It is a new concept and and alpha for Christ's sake! You get out of things what you put into them, put shit in and you get shit out. Good job!"

The implementation is crap, it's all but useless as any kind of seriously useful search engine. I don't care if it's alpha or not, it works so poorly that it shouldn't have even been made public yet. If it worked halfway properly, it would be a great idea, but it doesn't, so it's not. There is no gold medal for epic-ly failing with a "great idea".

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]QUOTE[/nom]How many of you have used WolframAlpha since it launched in May? Did you see any potential (for a standalone site or otherwise)? Let us know in the comments below![/citation]

Does anyone actually answer the questions without having to have a bitch match? Jesus, I have used it and I guess I am dumbass because I really couldn't ask it any cool questions it had answers to except the examples it would show. I mean, don't get me wrong, I got it to do some cool stuff but other then that it really wasn't TOO useful for ME. Maybe I will realize I could be using it for other things but in all seriousness, it just seems like a college students dream toy. No?

G

If Wolfram Alpha becomes a big success, Maybe it could eliminate Search Engine Poisoning from the equation.

G

Aspiring to become a google-slayer and then failing miserably is apparently admirable now.

Are all of you going to high-five me for aspiring to make a great C++ compiler, one that is going to revolutionize compiling, if it fails to successfully compile 95% of applications? If I label it as "alpha", will it then be OK to be a useless and buggy piece of shit? Is wolframalpha.com moving to wolfram.com when it comes out of alpha? Or was the original goal to find a buyer like MS?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Im a programmer, and recently I was having to do some bit packing, so it was very helpful for me to plug in numbers and convert easily between decimal, hex, and binary. And upshift/downshift.

Status
Not open for further replies.