Microsoft Signs Deal With WolframAlpha

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]adding WolframAlpha is great idea...i wonder why google has not innovated of late... why didn't they make a deal with WolframAlpha. appears being #1 has made them narcistic .microsoft + yahoo + WolframAlpha should give google should be an interesting fight...microsoft should look to partner with dictionary.com as well. won't hurt to add a bunch of references. so people can do define narcistic and it will tell you what it is...ive tried WolframAlpha when it first came out, while very powerful I found it of limited use to the kind of srearches that i do. regards to Bing, I've changed my default search to it because I got tired of all the junk google comes up with. It works for the most part, but from time to time it does not come up with anything and I have to resubmit my search to google.[/citation]

Yeah, what has Google been up to?
Though, Bing + Yahoo + WolframAlpha actually has a chance of defeating Google if they play their cards right.

[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]I liked wolfram, it gives you encyclopedia type answers and comparisons. I had fun searching given names and surnames etc..[/citation]

It is fun.
I used it a bit for my calculus also.
Plus it has a few Monty Python refrences.

WolframAlpha certainly needs more wok, but so far, I like it.

G

WolframAlpha is/has been used to cheat on college level math courses.. Ive seen it be used extensively by college students.

Many plied the befits of 15mins with their homework & Wolfram saved them hours of Number Crunching with their TI's & Casio Calc's.

Do I agree with their practices no not really.. but I wish I had it when I was in college :( .

the potential of this deal is un-real & un-comprehensible at this point in time.

Something to try.. Search your name, each part (first, middle, last) & it pulls up statistics of its popularity in the US & possibly the world. You may see your name was somewhat popular when your parents named you.

biofishfreak

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I agree that adding WolframAlpha's db to bing's offering will make it a more potent offering. I wonder if this will eventually lead to a Microsoft buyout of WolframAlpha.

Status
Not open for further replies.