Microsoft Store to Open Alongside Win 7 Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Doesn't seem like a good idea for Microsoft to do brick and mortar. They've never tried this before and it seems like they keep trying to jump into things without thinking it through as much as they should..

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
From a strictly marketing standpoint, I'm not really sure what they are trying to achieve with Microsoft stores. They already have significant market penetration (to put it mildly), and their brand name is practically a household word. I can't really see what would compell someone to got to a Microsoft store as opposed to just going to Walmart or Best Buy, Newegg (for online shoppers).

dtemple

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I wonder if people can take their broken Xbox 360 with the red ring of death to a MS retail store and get it exchanged on the spot. Now THAT would make sense.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Why? Can't they save money (lol, like they need to) by selling online?[/citation]
I think the ideea behind a real store is to reach out for the consumer, for the casual buyer to pass by the store in a mall and have "microsoft" pop into their face to be even more popular (if you can get any more that this)

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I hope they have some nice gaming rigs setup in the store to show people PC Gaming. That might actually do something to help PC gaming.

COD6 on a 5870 vs COD6 on the 360 - hmm, which would I rather play

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Hopefully, they will have a bunch of Core i7 laptops on hand with Windows 7 running on them.

I been drooling over the Dell Studio 15 laptop with the Core i7 Mobile CPU, which is $999. Also been liking what I see with the new HP Envy 15, but at $1799, it's sadly out of my price range.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
i think it's great. the normal guy or girl on the street doesn't go to toms hardware for information and reviews on pc stuff, or build their own pc. they buy whats in a box on a shelf in a big retail store that looks good. this is that opportunity. win7 in a big cool white box. when joe schmoo walks into best buy he sees two things, apple stuff and every other goddamned pc maker on the planet with m$. their is no brand loyalty, just servitude beacuse thats what a pc comes with. like it or not. this will help give people brand loyalty to m$. that sense of being in the club, like apple people have had for so long. a pc is a pc, generic.a box with some wires inside.apple seems special beacuse of whats inside, the OS.the stores don't have shit to do with the actual product. it's the image that it represents. now i wanna see some goddamned white 7 stickers on the back of vw jettas dammit!

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
I'd definitely go to an MS store if there as one near me, at the very least out of curiosity. Additionally, I think there is a lot of MS stuff that lends itself really nicely to stylish live presentation. I know I would not mind seeing Zune in action or some cool computers with Windows installed on them. The key to their success is if they can manage to make the store truly cool and stylish. Knowing MS marketing department though, there is a good chance that it will end up looking like MS corner of Best Buy.

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
i'd go to it. i went into an apple store waering a "i love PC" shirt and the manager just looked at meh weird. so w/e it wouldnt be anything too special but definetly handy for accesories when i need em

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]impulse fire911[/nom]i'd go to it. i went into an apple store waering a "i love PC" shirt and the manager just looked at meh weird. so w/e it wouldnt be anything too special but definetly handy for accesories when i need em[/citation]

They didn't try selling you an iPod or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.